Install ends in grub rescue...need some help

• hello everyone...

First of all...thx for this great piece of software...

I am installing it on a netgear readynas pro 6 and was successful by installing and testing it on a usb drive...but that is not so clever due to speed and access amounts...so i decided to go with 2.5 drive via usb 3 case...

Install runs smooth and fast and i can select what i need and get the "reboot now"...

Doing so, brings me into grub rescue woth the message:"/boot/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod not found"

So i googled around and followed some solutions left and right...but had no luck...so i reinstalled on top, wiped drive on a ubuntu machine and reinstalled fresh but still end on this issue...

The only thing that puzzled me is when i try ls (hd0,msdos1)/

This brings me to the list of all folders and files...i see everything ending with a "/" but bin amd boot are both in the same / area...and i can actually ls ij to it and find the normal.mod but cannot prefix it to that folder...insmod not working as well...

In other words....heeeeelp 😁

• I got a quick and dirty work around...butwould still like to knwo why it was failing...

I copied the full sda to the new drive instead of installing via iso...

cat /dev/sda > /dev/sdb

so a 8 gig stick is not written to a 320 gig drive...

prob not the best situation...

• Sooo...now i resized the partitons and was able to boot after manual fdisk but the filesystem screen still shows the old size...

I have to find a way to install correct...on a raid6 and nas i dont want to have such a hack job running...

happy for any ideas

• so...this morning i wanted to see what my status is of the raid 6 that was syncing over night, but web page said bad gateway and network card stopped blinking...

Restart resukted in screen telling me no os found, press key to retry...

So.ething is not right

• Back...

Lost all my data on the installed USB drive...

Back to start...

Install works, tries to boot and ends in

cant find normal.mod

Who can help...

I am about to freak out...

ls (hdo,msdos1)/ shows the folders

but (hd0,msdos1/boot/ does not show grub or anything if i try to dig deeper into it...

Attached to a debain machine i see all files and folders where they belong...

Deleted the symlink "bin" since that is showing without a forward slash but still no luck...

Any suggestion?

Help

• Problem solved...

USB3 external drive does not take bootable install...

Have to install to USB2 device first and then DD to USB3 device to be bootable...

Hope i remember next time and hopefully save someone some time as well

• Darkyputz

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!