Streamed songs end early

• Hi everyone. I'm sure you're all used to this by now, but I'll give the usual disclaimer in that I'm still pretty new to Linux and system virtualization. I've spent a fair bit of time bashing my head against the wall, so I know a little bit, but not much at all.

First things first - I checked to see if there were any stickies or posts showing me the information I should post when asking for assistance. I didn't see anything (I'm really sorry if I missed it) with a list of requirements to post. Is there anything I should add here?

With that aside, here's my problem: I've set up OMV and added the forked-daap plugin to enable a daap server. I'm using Winamp (with an admittedly janky plugin) as my media player, and it frequently cuts to the next song before the current one ends. I confirmed with iTunes that the same thing is happening. When I go back and play it again, though, it plays through the entire thing. This makes me believe it's some kind of buffering issue, or something like that. Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this? I'm totally open to any suggestions of what to try.

About my setup: I'm running Centos 8 on the physical machine itself (repurposed my old desktop), and I've installed OMV using Cockpit as a virtual machine on the physical host. I'm not proficient with docker or any other container technology so I've avoided that (for now).

Any help is appreciated, so thank you all.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You mention a potential buffering issue.

Realize the applicable factors involved:

- There's no mention of RAM

- CPU type

- How much either of the above is allocated to the OMV VM

- What hypervisor is being used.

- No versions of anything is supplied (Other than OMV5.X)

I could go on.

What you're asking would be the equivalent of me telling you, my car has this "funny noise". Then asking, what do you think is wrong?

I don't have anything for you other than suggesting that you try OMV, on bare metal. That would remove one massive layer of complexity.

Get to know what OMV is, how it works then, maybe, virtualize it if you have hardware that's capable of running a VM well.

Good Luck.

• It's really disheartening when the first response to a request for help is a moderator talking down to you.

I understand that there's a lot of factors involved. That's exactly why this was labeled first things first:

Zitat

First things first - I checked to see if there were any stickies or posts showing me the information I should post when asking for assistance. I didn't see anything (I'm really sorry if I missed it) with a list of requirements to post. Is there anything I should add here?

Your metaphor falls apart because I'm not just some person asking the mechanic, Why is my car making this funny sound? I'm telling the mechanic, My car is doing this. What info do you need from me to help diagnose it? I can get it for you.

This is a great example of how to push someone new out of a community.

I appreciate your suggestion. I'll look into carving out another partition on the machine and try installing it directly there.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It's really disheartening when the first response to a request for help is a moderator talking down to you.

I go out of my way to help new users, I really do. I wrote and maintain the new user guide for OMV, in a walk through format, for the sole purpose of getting new users up and running as easily as possible.

With that said, it's disheartening for me when users assume that forum contributors are, somehow, omnipotent and that they can determine the cause of problem, from remote, with little to nothing to work from.

Now, I'll ask you a question:
    Look over your question and tell me if you think anyone in the paid software community (Microsoft) would have answered it? Take that into consideration and realize that, in the open source community, we're all volunteers.

No one was going to answer your post. I did, and I chided you for a reason. If you haven't figured why, and what you might consider doing if you post another problem, I don't know what to tell you.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!