Windows Pro 10 & 11 shares , samba recipe OMV 6

• Windows Pro 10 & 11 shares and samba process for OMV 6 that works for me. This is only the Windows side. Nothing about openmediavault

I moved the pdf file here since many are adverse to downloads. Me too!

I recently shut down my XigmaNAS and converted over to openmediavault. The conversion to openmediavault was rather seamless. However, your windows troubleshooting did not work for me. I wanted to share my recipe for getting logged into SMB from windows 10 and 11 professional. BTW, because my PC were in various stages of updates and upgrades, I was getting a plethora of windows errors and failures. The recipe when followed resulted in no issues.

The below was shamelessly stolen from various websites without credit.

Step 1. Clear out the Windows Credentials. I deleted everything down to “No Windows Credentials” Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Credential Manager

After clearing the credentials you MUST reboot. I reboot after step 2.

Step 2. Put your network into a known state by doing a reset. Then reboot the computer. Settings\Network & Internet\Advanced network settings

Step 3. Get rid of all the old network connections. IMPORTANT run CMD as a USER! When you run it as administrator the answers are different and less verbose. I also crossed checked by running “net use” as an administrator too. Execute the command “net use”

I had to do this to get rid of my XimgaNAS network drives.

Now you can try to delete the drives with the user level CMD or close out CMD and rerun it as administrator. Delete the all-networked drives with “net use z: /delete”. I did not use wildcards. I went one by one.

Step 4. Change Local Network Security policy to be SMB friendly. Under the branch "Security Options" and then under the option "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level" , just change the settings from "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated" to "Send NTLMv2 responses only".

Run secpol.msc

Step 5. Login to the network. Here I was given much trouble until I started adding the name of my openmediavault server in front of the SMB user. At every instance of logging into the network, I add the name of my openmediavault server.

Step 6. Rinse and repeat for all your PCs.

Step 7. Enjoy SMB.

• That was soooo helpful! Thank you. I had huge problems with Windows Hello and the SMB connection.

What did the trick for me: Just Step 5 - write the server name in front of your user at the credentials (Step 1) -> "User" to "server\User".

That was enough for me.

• I was close to give up after searching for hours and hours how to get samba access to my OMV share using Windows 10 while it worked with Windows 11. I also tried username map in the smb.conf file because I unfortunately have a Windows Login containing a blank which does not work with OMV user names. And now everything works for me. Thanks a lot.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!