Way to transfer files in bulk on an unreliable connection

• I have a friend that lives on the other side of the world. They have a hard drive full of important files. Their hard drive is almost completely full, but they don't have money to get a new hard drive for more room. And they're worried about something bad happening to this hard drive. I have over 6TB of free space on my server's hard drives. So I figured I might as well put that to good use and help out my friend.

But my friend says he has 300gb of files on this hard drive. He doesn't have the room on his hard drive to copy the data into one big zip or rar file. So the directories and files will be have to be sent in their present state to my server.

My friend probably doesn't have very good internet, and 300gb is a lot of data to transfer no matter what. It's going to take a long time. I'm very patient. I don't care if the data moves at a trickle and takes a couple of weeks. But there's another problem. The power grid where he lives is very unreliable. He is only able to keep his computer running continuously for 6-7 hours. If he runs the computer longer than that, he risks the dirty power breaking it.

So any large transfer like this is going to be interrupted, and it'll have to start back up where it left off.

What kind of transfer can Open Media Vault facilitate to move his directories onto my server with frequent interruptions?

• I would recommend syncthing - it is easy to install in OMV (docker or apt), takes care of discovery, and worked well for me in similar circumstances.

The only potential issue - syncthing has to be installed on both computers.

• The power grid where he lives is very unreliable. He is only able to keep his computer running continuously for 6-7 hours. If he runs the computer longer than that, he risks the dirty power breaking it.

This will be the most dangerous situation.
    If the power is always failing, it's the whole system that can be lost (OS corruption and lost drives)
    Unless it's a Laptop/has a UPS, battery, etc.... and he can gracefully shutdown the system when the power fails.

What kind of transfer can Open Media Vault facilitate to move his directories onto my server with frequent interruptions?

You don't say what you have running on your server and this defines the type of service you can use (not on OMV itself but on docker).

For eg: if you run Nextcloud on your server, your colleague can use Nexcloud Desktop on his side to sync whatever he wants to your Server.
    nextcloud/desktop: 💻 Desktop sync client for Nextcloud (github.com)

It can take resume, which is the most important feature that you are thinking about.

As above, also synchthing can be used although I found it a bit awkward to start with (too many things to learn before it works as you want).

Urbackup is another possibility and again, I say the same as sychthing, I tried it for a bit but gave up and stayed with Nextcloud.

Too many possibilities to choose from, ;)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!