Permission private share denied

• I've got access to a public share, but I also made a private share. However, access keeps getting denied on my Windows laptop.

I don't see what could be wrong. Also, searching the forum didn't lead me to anything that solved the issue.

I added my user account to group "samabashare" (I saw that on a 4-year old YouTube video):

This is what I did with the permissions of the private folder:

I assume this is OK as well? (I didn't do anything with the File access control lists.)

I don't think anything special needed to be (un)checked here?

However, when trying to access \\192.168.1.10\NASErik from Windows:

Of course I triple-checked the password, and even reset it. (I don't know whether it's related, or whether that is normal behavior, but I can't SSH to user 'erik' either, only to root@192.168.1.10.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

The "boxes" you checked are for ACL's. That's not going to help you if standard file and folder permissions do not allow read or write. Further, you don't need to add users to the Linux samba share group.

Take a look at this -> NAS Permissions.

BTW (while this is not the case for Samba) for SSH, erik must be added to the SSH group.

• Take a look at this -> NAS Permissions.

I don't really see what I have differently than what's described here (https://wiki.omv-extras.org/do…#a_personal_private_share)...

The "boxes" you checked are for ACL's.

Do you mean this? (Isn't that what's meant in the wiki with "Fred: Read/Write - Others: None"?)

for SSH, erik must be added to the SSH group.

Aha! It works now! (The group is actually called '_ssh', to be exact. ;))

• Offizieller Beitrag

Linux uses Owner (almost always root), Group (the default group in OMV is users) and, finally, Others (any user not in or one of the previous two, to include anonymous logons).

These selections (Owner, Group, Others) are "Standard Linux permissions" and they're, currently, at the bottom of the permissions screen. (I'm trying to get that changed.) Those boxes you're checking are ACL's. Uncheck them (nothing highlighted) and use the Standard Linux permissions at the bottom of the screen. Work from there.

Read the whole NAS permissions document, from the beginning. It's not that long. After setting up your Windows usernames and passwords, as users with identical usernames and password in OMV, and giving the users group Read/Write/Execute to a shared folder, you could then selectively deny individual users using ACL's. (But I wouldn't). I'd set up a private share by creating a new group "Fred" (for example) and put the user "Fred" in it. Then set up a shared folder with the group "Fred" Read/Write/Execute. This is all in the document.

There's too many variables involved to rewrite the permissions document in a post. Please read the document and, maybe, create a new shared folder (with a Samba Share layered on) as a test and work with it.

If you not sure of the mechanics of creating a network share, this -> document might help. The share created will be fully open. With that as a base, you can start locking it down.

Note: I some cases, if Windows fails to access a share, and you change permissions on the Linux server to allow access, it might be necessary to log the user out of Windows and logon again.

• I figured it out. I had a group "bewoners", of which "erik" was a member. By removing access for "bewoners", I also removed access for "erik". Makes sense, if I think about it now. :)

Thanks for everyone's patience!

• ErikDB

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • ErikDB

Hat das Label OMV 7.x (RC1) hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!