Installation on SSD

• I am a newbie to OMV and linux in general. I want to build my NAS boot drive on a 64GB SSD I have on hand and understand that the whole drive is used for the OS and swap partition, but I am not sure there is an optimization I should do in the layout. Does the basic install just create an OS boot partition and then the rest of the drive is taken by swap or does it create a fixed size swap partition and leave the rest of the drive unpartitioned? What I was hoping is if the swap is used for disk caching, to make sure I am maximizing its benefit since it is sitting on an SSD. Any feedback on this would be a huge help.

• The operating system partition takes up the whole drive except the space left at the end for an extended partition with the swap partition on it. Don't worry about the whole drive not being used and you can always alter it later with gparted if you like.

• Thanks for the info, I want to make sure I am clear that it has a default swap size that there really isn't any performance benefit in adjusting? Is this swap file size based on how much RAM is in the box currently also?

• No it is not based on the amount of ram. It is a default size but you may be able to adjust it on install, I just never tried. I have 8 gigs of ram and the swap is barely used unless I have virtual machines running.

• I use a small SSD of 4GB which plugs directly on the IDE connector, I let the installer partition the drive.

Openmediavault uses very few RAM for itself (less than 200Mo), almost of the RAM is used for I/O cache. No swapping problems

omv 2.x omv 3.x (testing) - AMD CPU - RAM ECC 8x4TB RAID6 + 4x3TB RAID5 - SSD 4GB for system

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!