Encrypted installation does not boot

• Hi again!

I am still following this guide to create an encrypted omv nas. Everything in Step 1.2 seems to be fine (as far as I understood, I didn't need the debian image because aes-xts-plain64 is already available in OMV 1.9) until the last step. After reboot I can't enter my passphrase and thus can't access my system.

I get the following output:

Tried two times, but its still not working...

• Can anyone help and explain which steps are failing?
    • update-initramfs –u shows some infos about not write an array. Problem?
    • Do I need to edit another file near the end of step 1.2 (like /etc/fstab)?
    • I increased the "hash rounds" from 5000 ms to 10000 ms. Is it taking to long / Do I need increase rootdelay? (How?)
    • Is it possible to manually recover (so that I don't have to reinstall)?

Greetings
    Wookie

• Took me longer this time to figure everything out :(

Originally it was just the ssd not being ready yet! Solution was to open the encrypted devices (cryptosetup openLuks /dev/sdaX and vgchange -a y) and finsh booting (just type exit ... took me some time :) ). Then login and edit grub config: nano /etc/default/grub and add rootdelay=YY to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT (YY is time in seconds, 10 was enough for me). Finally update grub with update-grub.

Before and after the fix I saw another problem in boot/syslog, something like timeout: killing '/sbin/modprobe -bv pci:x0123456789123456789'. This seem to have something to do with a audio driver that can't load or some video driver interfering with each other. Just add nomodeset to the default command line above and that was fixed for me as well.

Now install a dropbear ssh to enter passphrase with this and/or this guide (plus a key convertion with puttygen from OpenSSH to Putty private key) and everything was set up for booting my OMV. Didn't even need the new ps stuff, the old old "echo > crypt" command was enough.

Cheers
    Wookie

• Hello Wookie! I have exactly the same problem. But the rootdelay param doesnt solve it for me...
    I can mount manually with cryptsetup luksOpen..
    and vgchange -ay but it doesnt boot automatically. Can someone help me there? My OMV was running fine on an usbstick without encryption. Yesterday i decided to switch onto a ssd disk with full encryption but i fail now because oft this problem... I also tried several values like rootdelay=120 but the error remains (after 120sec this time).

Edit: I solved my problem. I downgraded the kernel to 3.16 and everything is fine and now i also dont need the rootdelay param. Maybe this could be added to the wiki entry ( 1st boot mdadm error, mount manually commands see posts above, kerneldowngrade, reboot and fine)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!