Beiträge von labiculum

Dear open media vaulters,

I came back here to have a look at OMV after quite some time and I am impressed by the development it has taken.

I am currently running a custom install of Debian Jessie with ZFS on Linux as my home server, but looking at easy configuration (web gui) and easy addition of features (plug-ins) I wonder whether OMV might be a better setup. ZFS is a requirement, by the way, but I am really only comfortable around Linux, so the likes of FreeNAS/NAS4Free/ZFSguru are not an alternative.

My somewhat general question is: How intrusive or how modest does OMV behave in relation to its Debian base? Will a custom Debian with OMV installed as a package on top of it work equally well as a default install from the OMV iso? Or will it turn that Debian install upside down like openATTIC does when you install it? Will I win or lose some features if I have my own partition setup, (sudo) users, ssh with byobu, etc. configured beforehand? Or can I have all the Debianness in an OMV install, like adding KVM and TV card drivers (no gui or media center needed).

Also, will plug-ins conflict with other parts of an extended Debian install? Where, for example, is the difference between setting up ZFS on Linux on standard Debian and OMV's ZFS plug-in? Will both reflect snapshots and other functions of ZFS inside the web gui?

These questions are difficult to answer from all the guides and material I've read about OMV, so I would be delighted to hear from the experienced.

Thanks a bunch.

Sebastian