Beiträge von Miggles

Could be. Most operations in Linux take effect immediately. However, if a service needs to be stopped and restarted, a reboot effectively does the same.
    On the other hand, there may be a price to pay if deviating from the standard. As of Debian 9, installed software and support alike, will assume the new convention is in place.

There were many reboots while I was trying to get them to be eth0 and eth1 and obviously none of those took. The part I'm confused about now is why they didn't take then and just randomly decided to take now. Of course now I need to try backtracking and undoing all of my mess so that they can be whatever they want to be. :)

You had a much better experience than I did. Mine has soured me so much on ASRock that I started looking for a replacement board from a different manufacturer. Turns out nobody else really makes anything that compares. :/

I've now got all the drives mounted and the data is intact and plex is up and running so I'd say I'm pretty close to all good. Next up is to make sure all the docker containers still work - I think they might have gotten a bit broken in the move from /media to /srv.

Edit: bit broken doesn't even begin to cover it. They're all dead and refusing to start. Great times.

The oddnesses of recovering a server continue:

Code
    Date:        Fri, 25 Jan 2019 15:36:34
            Action:      alert
            Host:        chunk
            Description: status failed (1) -- /srv/dev-disk-by-label-wdred6 is not a mountpoint

They were previously under /media. Why have they now changed to be under /srv? I have no idea.

Oddly this one has been upgraded in place from 2.x as well, so I've been a touch confused about why I'm having all these pains right now.

The first big holdup I had was that I filled in the support request form on the ASRock site and nobody got back to me for a couple of weeks. I wound up contacting Newegg and asking them to get in touch with ASRock for me since I couldn't get a response. They couldn't either, so that dragged on for a couple of weeks more.

At which point someone gave me a phone number I could call and that lead straight to an RMA, so I sent the board in, just in time for it to catch the christmas break.

Post christmas break, they said they'd finished testing the board and would be sending out the replacement and the RMA was flagged as complete on the third of January with the replacement shipped out on the fourth. I didn't receive any tracking information though, so every few days I would send them an email asking if it was possible to get a tracking number. After ten days I finally got a tracking number from Purolator which confirmed that the shipment had only been started that day, and that took about seven days to arrive.

All told about two months.

Even dropping that file into place and triple checking the mac addresses wasn't enough - I couldn't stop it from renaming the devices from eth0 to enp7s0

So I tried disabling the predictable renaming following https://www.freedesktop.org/wi…bleNetworkInterfaceNames/ and that didn't work.

So I tried to disable it by following answers on stackexchange, none of which worked.

Eventually, in desperation, I ran omv-firstaid. First option in the menu is to configure network interfaces so I did that and now enp7s0 is a real network interface and just appears to work.

I'm a little too frustrated to want to keep fighting this. :(

Thanks very much for your help.

I got it March, 2016, and it ran 24/7 until dying with IOCK errors in November, 2018. It's taken two months for ASRock to get the replacement board to me so not too happy about that service, but at least I've got it now.

And yeah, nothing I've tried so far has generated that file for me so I'd be grateful if you could paste yours.

Semi-related, only lan1 has any lights running on it. lan2 gets me no lights whatsoever. I'm wondering if lan1 being shared with the management interface is getting in the way?

Gave that a try and after the reboot nothing has changed. The new devices aren't being written to the file and they're still not showing up anywhere else.

I tried to manually trigger writing that file with

Bash
    /sbin/udevadm trigger --type=devices --action=add

And it's staying resolutely empty. Can you think of anything else?

I have an ASROCK Rack C2750D4i that I had to RMA owing to the C2000 chipset issue. I've dropped the replacement board in and most things check out, I just can't for the life of me figure out why the network adaptors aren't working.

They appear to be getting loaded by the igb driver:

But aren't found anywhere that matters:

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers

Thanks for that. Super unscientific testing seems to suggest that it's not getting too hot and that it can handle a couple of streams just fine so I'm not going to worry too much about it.

Should I enable the backports kernel? What difference would that make?

This is a very recent build and I think I've somewhat screwed myself by going with the Avoton C2750 instead of a Haswell i3 but still, I think it should be able to handle concurrent 1080p transcodes?

As for the C2750, I went with the recommendation based on a thread I was reading but I now suspect that it was an old thread. Other people had been saying that it was better for running lots of parallel workloads than the Haswell i3 so I just went with it. I think it may have been the wrong idea and now I'm stuck with it.

I also discovered, after it had been in my possession for slightly longer than the newegg return policy that the box says C2750 but the board itself says C2550. Newegg are, of course, refusing to take it back because I noticed on the 35th day, when they only gave me 28 days to spot it. Little bit annoyed about that. However, when I check the cpuid it says C2750. So ... I'm a tad confused by that.

So ... does this look like the right amount of cpu time being used to transcode a single stream for a C2750? Do I even have a C2750?