Beiträge von metalguru

My only ideas are then checking download integrity (Md5/SHA1 values on download page) and using Hardkernel's Ubuntu image with 4.14 kernel and see whether this works.

If images using the old 3.x kernel work while those with 4.x don't it might be also a power supply issue (I hope you already tried booting with disconnected SATA disk?)

I will check the image, and I will also check to see whether Ubuntu works.

Headless systems are a pain in the kister.

Power should not be an issue, the unit comes with a 5V 4A power adapter which should be way more than enough.

Thanks, I'll let you know how it works out. I am starting to suspect a problem with the hardware.

Yes, sorry, I should have put that in...

Yes, the red led comes on with power, the green one comes on indicating a drive is attached, and the blue one comes on solid at power up, then begins the heartbeat double blink.

Everything appears normal, and Etcher reports that the checksum is correct.

Hi guys:

I purchased an Odroid HC-1 a couple of months ago and am finally trying to get it set up. I must warn you I am a complete Linux noob and know very little about the opperating system. So, treat me gently. I have also searched this and a dozen other forums and infomation on this little beast seems scarcer than hens teeth.

I have a 16GB SD card, which I formatted and loaded the latest OMV build for the HC-1, OMV_3_0_92_Odroidxu4_4.9.61.img.xz using Etcher.

All seems to have went well, but using Angry IP scanner I cannot see the HC-1 on my network. I have reburned the image a couple of times, but still no success. I have also rebooted the HC-1 by unplugging the power for several minutes with no effect. I waited more than the recommended 15 minutes for the image to load on the HC-1 before trying a scan.

I have the HC-1 plugged into my network vi a 1GB switch. Neither my router or Angry IP see the device.

Any suggestions?

I apologize for the outburst, http://forums.openmediavault.o…php/User/4556-ryecoaaron/.

I have owned computers for longer than most of you have been alive, but I know nothing of Linux. I cut my teeth on a DEC PDP8 in 1972. However, I am a Hardware Engineer and not a programmer. I am just tired of being dismissed as irrelevant just because I may ask an obvious (to you) question once in a while. I do try to search the forums first, but it's very difficult to find anything specific in this manner. Forum searches are usually less than enlightening, unless you know exactly what you are looking for.

I did try to set the OMV settings to fixed IP address, but it only resulted in no IP address at all. And, in the System/Network/Interfaces tab it showed nothing in any of the fields for Eth0. I have tried to reset it again and it seems to be working. We'll see when I reboot.

And, http://forums.openmediavault.o…ex.php/User/3872-Huberer/ , That was an attempt at humor. It's a line from an old movie. The fact that you didn't get the reference does not mean it was in any way intended as rude. And yes, you are right, I should have put in more information other than "It doesn't work".

I do have another question you could shed some light on. I started a thread on it but got no replies. It involves an error that I get sometimes when I hit the Apply Changes click box. It gives me an error something about Monit. See Error on Configuration Apply

I am not lazy you pompous ass. (http://forums.openmediavault.o…php/User/4556-ryecoaaron/)

I already tried that and bricked my network access and had to reinstall.

If you can't keep a civil tongue in your head, then don't bother replying to us lowly minions...

Not everyone is a (self proclaimed) Linux God like you.

And, if I had ANYTHING resembling documentation, I wouldn't be forced to prostrate myself before you on this forum to get simple answers.

Hi Ryecoaaron:

Well, you yourself said NOT to run OMV on an USB drive because OMV does a lot of writes to the drive, I assumed that an SD would be the same situation and will quickly wear out because it has no wear leveling.

Why is it not recommended OMV install to USB?

Hence my desire to boot from a standard hard drive or SSD. The only way I know of to do this on a Pi is through some software like berryboot. As far as I know, booting from the USB port is currently not supported on the Pi3 or any other Pi.

And, I am a beginner and need (want?) to play with various operating systems to become more familiar with them. I don't need 15 raspberry pi's scattered all over my desk...

I installed a drive, configured it, and shared the drive. I made a mistake in the configuration, forgetting to change the default folder to the root folder on the drive.

Now I want to remove the share. I cannot figure out how to do it, short of deleting OMV and reinstalling it from scratch.

The Delete option is never there in the File Share configuration, even if the drive is unmounted and removed.

WTF?

I have OMV 2.2.1 running on a Raspberry Pi 3B. I have BerryBoot on the SD card, a 120GB SSD on a USB carrier for the operating system drive, and currently 2 Seagate 1TB portable drives as shares.

Every time I reboot, it's a total roll of the dice which drives come up as /dev/sda, /sdb, /sdc. The good thing is that BerryBoot is smart enough to eventually find out which is the operating system drive, but the other two are random drive assignment.

Does this matter? Will OMV find and mount the shares regardless of their system ident?

Just a note to anyone using OMV on a Raspberry Pi, I would highly recommend BerryBoot software. It places a small handler on the micro SD card that will install operating system on any connected USB hard drive. It allows you to partition, format, and install multiple operating systems on the attached hard drive (or even on the SD card itself) and boot from the image on the hard drive instead of the SD card.

Booting is MUCH faster than from an SD card.

It comes with a menu with nearly all the operating systems you would need, including Debian, OpenElec, OMV, Android, etc. Just pick the ones you want to install, and it pops up with a menu at boot time so you can select which image to boot from... Also has web server, terminal program, and memory test software.

Very handy, and seems to work well. http://www.berryterminal.com/doku.php/berryboot

Just a note to RPI3 users:

In my recent experience, the RPI3 will NOT tolerate ANY type of plug in hard drive on it's built in USB ports. USB sticks are fine, but there is not enough power available to operate even a very low power SSD or especially not a rotating hard drive. Use a powered USB hub to plug the drives into.

I get this error some of the time when I try to apply configuration changes.

It doesn't always show up, and if I click revert instead of apply, it will exit with an error but the operation will usually work. Not sure about this, it may work only on the second try.

Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; monit
    monitor collectd 2>&1': monit: Cannot connect to the
    monit daemon. Did you start it with http support?

EDIT: Is this list that literal? I didn't ask it directly, but the implied questions is "how do I fix this" An answer would be appreciated...

I can make a new shared folder as you suggest, but I cannot delete the old one. How to get rid of it?

Also, when I try to map the shared folder to a drive letter in Win7 it cannot find it...

If you mean in the Edit Shared Folders box, if I put a forward slash in the Path box, it asks me if I really want to relocate the folder. What does this mean?

The exact error is:

Do you really want to relocate the shared folder? The content of the shared folder will not be moved automatically, you have to do this yourself.

Yes / No

I have the system mostly up and running, but there are a few concepts that are eluding me.

The system seems to only want to share folders on the connected drive one at a time. Do I have to add a new share for each and every folder on the drive???

This would be horrendous. I would just like to add the rood directory of the drive so everything is shared at once.

Also, Windows 7 does not see the Raspbery Pi in its network configuration. If I do a manual map network drive using the IP address of the pi and the drive folder, I can see the folder.

But, I can't figure out how to share the whole drive at once.