Beiträge von wexcide

ZFS is not able to add single disk in raidz/raidz2. You can add a single disk as a VDEV but if this disk breaks, then whole pool is dead.

Autoexpand is described here: docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/819-5461/githb/index.html , it gives the option to utilize the whole new disk if replacing a smaller drive.

You are correct. I re-read the original post and mixed up what he was asking. Auto expand is for swapping out disks for larger ones. Thanks for catching that!

Hello fellow OMV'ers!

I currently run an HP MicroServer Gen8 with OMV 2.x on it (SSD boot drive & x4 2TB WD Reds). I have MDADM (OMV's out of the box RAID) setup as a RAID 10. MDADM does not support growing RAID 10 unfortunately which is understandable the way RAID 10 is laid out.

I am about to start building a new storage box, most likely a Supermicro 4U setup (24 3.5 bays). I am going to start it off with x4 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS drives. I do not really need the performance gain from RAID 10, so I am planning on doing a RAID 6 this go around. (I will take the hit of capacity vs reliability to avoid RAID5).

From my understanding MDADM does support growing RAID 6 pools, so my question is does OMV recognize and support growing RAID 6 pools when I add more drives down the line? And if so, what is the risk involved in growing a RAID 6(RAID 5 growing is pretty risky). I keep all my data backed up to Crashplan via the headless client running underneath OMV/on debian, but I would still like to avoid data loss because restoring backups over the cloud like that with my amount of data, even on a 100 fiber line, take forever. ( I will likely make an external local backup of all data when the time comes but still)

If this isn't the best option, could someone recommend a better path to take?

I've never used ZFS with OMV, however I ran ZFS for years inside of FreeNAS. I couldn't give you an exact time frame but it is not a quick process (it sounds about normal though). You can check the status via terminal using the "zpool status YOURPOOLNAMEHERE" command.

Someone more familiar with ZFS on OMV might be able to provide more insight, but that it my experience.

OMV is capable of doing everything you want. You will get the most bang for your buck running OMV vs Windows in terms of performance.

+1 for ZFS.

Just remember to read up on ZFS limitations if you plan to expand.

Personally I use ZFS, and it works great, but I do hope to migrate to BTRFS soon, as the expanding of BTRFS raid is more appealing for homeusers (add one or two drives at…

ZFS is capable of this! All you have to do is enable the "autoexpand" flag for your zpool! The major limitation IMO of ZFS for home users is its overhead RAM requirement. The general rule of thumb is 8 GB minimum as a base, the +1GB for every 1TB RAW. Now of course this is a general rule of thumb. For most home uses, 16 GB is perfectly fine. ECC is also highly recommended for ZFS to prevent corruption, but there is alot of argument in favor of just doing a weekly reboot to combat this, which should be no issue for home users and is easily automated.

I used ZFS on FreeNAS for years before I got sick of FreeBSD's goofy jail permission system. So I switched to MDADM with EXT4 in OMV and never looked back. For what I use it for, it is great. And I utilize Crashplan as a headless service that runs nightly backups of my data.