Beiträge von KoenP

My router is indeed the local DNS server....
    But entering the the 192.168.1.1 as dns server in the openvpn does not solve the problem....

However the output from nslookup MyNasNAme is now

Server: 192.168.1.1
    Adress: 192.168.1.1#53

Server can't find MyNasName: NXDOMAIN....

But my macbooks IP stays 172.20.10.1.... Is that why I cant see the other computers in my LAN?

If I change it to 192.168.1.99 I lose my internet and vpn connection.... ?(

If I ping from my macbook from outside my lan, without my VPN connected, I get all negative.

If I connect the VPN tunnel, I succesfully ping

• 192.168.1.13 which is my ovm box
    • MyHostName.ddns.net which is my dynamic dns; also my correct WANIP becomes visible, so I think that part works wel
    • 192.168.1.1 which is the default gateway
    • 192.168.1.44 which is my Imac in the LAN

If I ping MyNasName, I get nothing back, so all packages are lost

If I do nslookup MyNasName I get as output:

Server: 172.20.10.X
    Adress: 172.20.10.X#53

Server can't find MyNasName: NXDOMAIN

What I noticed when I typed ifconfig,
    is that there is a new network created since I activated the VPN plugin

It is there as :
    lo Link encap:Local loopback

and it has his IP in the range of 127.0.0.xxx

Can this have something to do with it???

Thanx for helping me out guys ;)

I did nothing special with vpn setup.... Settings are like in the picture i posted earlyer, i created a certificate and downloaded it.
    On the other side on my macbook, I installed tunnelblick where I uploaded my .conf file from the certificate.
    Since I selected PAM authentication, i logon with my user data from my NAS and the connection is established....

If you have it working like i would like mine works, I would be grateful if you helped me setting it up...

My knowledge on this subject is to little, and the available information is so overwhelming that I don't see the trees trough the forest anymore.....
    But I am pretty sure, if someone would guide me trough it, trough the forest of settings, that I can make it work......

I really tought that vpn a tunnel would virtually put me in my "lan", and let me use it that way.. so lets say type "smb://MyNasName/MySharedFolderName" in finder or safari , and then see the files in the shared folder available....
    Then what else can I do with this VPN connection?
    Could you tell me a lil bit more about the remote share feature in OMV? I haven't found such a thing..... or is it a extra plugin?

In te mean time I'll check the "cloud" options out.....

Waaw... It took me blood sweat and tears, but I got the VPN up and running...... :thumbup:

I could logon from my laptop using the 4G internet connection from my phone, the tunnel was established, I am connected.....

But I don't know how to acces the shared folders on my nas..... if i type the NAS IP adress in the browser, it opens the ovm web interface, And if I logon as user there I can only acces my user data.......

How can I actually acces my files then??? ?(

This is what i entered as settings, I have no idea what's wrong.... I read Setting up openvpn and according to that it should work,
    But this is what I get from ovm:

Error #4000:exception 'OMVException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; invoke-rc.d 'openvpn' start 2>&1': Starting virtual private network daemon: server failed!invoke-rc.d: initscript openvpn, action "start" failed.' in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/initscript.inc:176Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/initscript.inc(141): OMVSysVInitScript->invoke('start')
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/initscript.inc(61): OMVSysVInitScript->start()
    #2 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/module/openvpn.inc(120): OMVSysVInitScript->exec()
    #3 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(206): OMVModuleOpenVpn->startService()
    #4 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChanges(Array, Array)
    #5 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #6 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(158): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChanges', Array, Array)
    #7 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/config.inc(224): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethodBg('applyChanges', Array, Array)
    #8 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceConfig->applyChangesBg(Array, Array)
    #9 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #10 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(79): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('applyChangesBg', Array, Array)
    #11 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(500): OMVRpc::exec('Config', 'applyChangesBg', Array, Array, 1)
    #12 {main}

In certificates there is nothing, I assume they are created after the start?

Thank you..... I didn't know that about the OpenVPN tunnel....

I cannot start the OpenVPN.... I get following error:

Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; invoke-rc.d 'openvpn' start 2>&1': Starting virtual private network daemon: server failed! invoke-rc.d: initscript openvpn, action "start" failed.

I left all default settings;
    I activated PAM authentication, because I understood then I can log on with my ovm user data...
    At Public Adress I entered "MyHostName.ddns.net"

Thank you for your explanation, it all becomes clearer to me...

So to use a VPN tunnel, I need client software on the device that I will use to connect to my nas..

Isn't there a more " direct" way, like just with a webbrowser, kind a like i do when I am using the nas inside the homenetwork, I just type "//MyNasName" and use userdata to log on....
    so from outside the homenetwork something like "//MyHostname.ddns.org/MyNasName"
    or does that kind of connection have security issues??

For now i'll try it by using the OpenVPN plugin.... Is ther a step by step guide available on how to configure it???

Thank you all ^^

Hi There,

I found and installed the OpenVPN plugin on the ovm.
    I made a free account with no-ip, created a hostname and linked it to my WANIP, then set this configuration into my router, saved and there it says connected. I installed the no-ip program to keep udating my WANIP to my hostname...

The problem is that I have no clue of what I have to do with the OpenVPN, or how to link the hostname and VPN to acces my nas from the internet.... Is that also done in the router?

Hi There,

Thanx for you reply, that from the VPN I don't understand (yet), the thing about the DNS is becoming clearer to me. So I suppose I have to create an account with a "dyndns" service, and enter this data in my router?

I found a "dynamic DNS" setting in the router configuration.... I'll get to that tomorrow....

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and also to the use of ovm. I set up a very basic nas in my home network, it is a raspberry Pi 3 with a 500GB USB HDD connected. In my Home network all works well, but i would like to have acces from the internet to my nas, for example upload vacation pic's from abroad, or play my music when I am not at home (at work, hotel etc...)

But I have no clue how it's done :/ ....

I searched this forum, but it seems like you're all talking in Chinese so I didn't really find what I am looking for. I already found out that my ISP provides a dynamic WANIP, so that changes about every 10 days. But I am sure there is a way to achieve my goal....

Anyone can put me on the right track? I noticed there are also German post, well I understand German, but I can't write it....

Thanx already guys :thumbup: