Beiträge von gbi

Hi folks,

I have a question regarding an install on a Raspi. When looking at the sD card (8GB) I can see 3 partitions:

Code
    /dev/mmcblk0p1   56M   20M   37M  36% /boot
    /dev/mmcblk0p3  4.1G  3.1M  3.8G   1% /media/fa36508a-b3c4-4499-b30a-711dd5994225
    /dev/root       3.2G  1.6G  1.5G  52% /

/dev/root is /dev/mmcblk0p2

/dev/mmcblk0p3 seems to be completely empty

Code
    root@omv:~# ll -a /media/fa36508a-b3c4-4499-b30a-711dd5994225/
    total 17
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root  1024 Jun 26  2015 ./
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root  4096 Sep 21 19:07 ../
    drwx------ 2 root root 12288 Apr 16  2015 lost+found/
    root@omv:~# ll -a /media/fa36508a-b3c4-4499-b30a-711dd5994225/lost+found/
    total 13
    drwx------ 2 root root 12288 Apr 16  2015 ./
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root  1024 Jun 26  2015 ../

I had a 100% full /dev/boot, then OMV wasn't running anymore.

Is it possible to delete /dev/mmcblk0p3 and expand /dev/root ? Or is /dev/mmcblk0p3 used for something ?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi,

thanks all for your replies and suggestion and warnings ;)

After further thinking about what I want to accomplish and what are the risks and benefits, I decided to go the way ryecoaaron suggested in posting #2. This rsync based solution is by far the easiest to setup, with no risks, and I keep my 2nd HD as backup and for other temporare doings. In fact I don't really need a RAID1, a relative recent backup on a 2nd HD is enough, the dataset on the disk to be shared is relative static.

Thanks a lot for your assistence :)

vl1969: nice avatar

@vl1969,

thanks for your suggestions and your tests. The HDs I have are 1TB, I don't wanna buy another one.

But you tell you have built a degraded RAID1, exactly the way I proposed in my initial post. So I think I'll try going this way, my setup is simple: no OS on the RAID1, cause the OS is on the Raspi's SD card. One big partition on the HDs, ext4. I can try to set the RAID1 up on my normal PC and move the HDs afterwards to the Raspi, and import them into OMV.

Having a look into mdadm's manpage:

To create a "degraded" array in which some devices are missing, simply
    give the word "missing" in place of a device name. This will cause
    mdadm to leave the corresponding slot in the array empty. For a RAID4
    or RAID5 array at most one slot can be "missing"; for a RAID6 array at
    most two slots. For a RAID1 array, only one real device needs to be
    given. All of the others can be "missing".

So this should work.

But one question is left, is there a way to import HDs configured this way into OMV ?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

nice idea. But as soon as directory structures change or files are removed or at least moved the rsync method is not straighforward anymore.

Is it possible as outlined in my first post ?

Thanks in advance

Hi Folks,

I'm a newbie regarding OMV, so my apologies if this question has been discussed earlier, I have searched and found nothing.

I wanna build a small (and maybe slow) NAS with a Raspi and 2 HD's, which are in RAID1 config. I have the disks (they are ext4 formatted), and there is a vast amount of data on one of it.

Is there a way to preserve the data, say build the RAID1 with one (the empty) HD, copy the data over to this first HD in the incomplete RAID1 (with rsync preferably), and then afterwards add the 2nd HD to the RAID and let the rebuild do it's work ?

Thanks in advance