Beiträge von Olivier

Ok that's legit.

Don't bother spending time on a deprecated feature.

That was a "nice to have" request but if AFP module is no more available I'm OK with that.

Moreover I recenty tuned up the SMB service using this post and it seems to be slightly better:

Open Media Vault SMB performance quick win
    A quick performance win on transferring large files with Samba. Even if you use Open Media Vault or not, this might help you. Give it a shot! Here's what to
    techie-show.com

Hi there,

I started to use Photoprism several years ago and I'm very pleased with this photo library.

I struggled to make it work with the intergrated plugin so I went for the Docker Compose solution.

I found it highly configurable to match my needs and also the resources of my hardware.

I can tune up CPU usage, RAM usage, face recognition frequency, default Theme, password and many other options.

The only thing I am missing is the HTTPS access using OMV certificates, but as I use it with local access only it is not a big issue for me.

I recently tried the plugin option again and managed to make it work at last.

The pluggin pulled many dependencies like caddy to activate https and many other different things.

In addition to that the pluggin expose very few parameters: photo folders, certificate to use, and that's all. No CPU or memory max alloc settings.

All that stuff packed together made my system run as slow as a cow.

I saddly had to go back to the Docker solution, wich was a less straight-forward but a much more efficient setup.

Volker Theile is in charge of this plugin.

Do yo think there is a chance he can add some extra parameters ?

Objectively AFP is much faster and much more reliable.

Since I switched to SMB I faced many issues which never happened with AFP.

I don't understand why the module was remove, it should be available at least in OMV extra.

Not to mention the OMV AFP module was very convenient to setup shared folders.

Hi there,

I have more or less the same kind of setup.

I use the Rsync module with scheduled tasks.

- on iMac account I created a SSH key

- on OMV I registered the SSH key for each account so OMV can access them

- I have one 'PULL' scheduled task for each account

- I activated daily backup at 01:00 AM and email notifications to be sure the backup is performed

The main advantage is that the machine+account you backup only has to provide SSH access.

And that's all, not backup task to setup on the target, everthing is centralized on OMV.

If your docker container is properly configured for SSH, you should be able to use the rsync 'PULL'

How to setup password-less SSH access: https://phoenixnap.com/kb/setup-passwordless-ssh

Rsync 'PULL' mode: https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php?thread/24751-rsync-pull-mode

Hello

I had a similar issue with my NAS based on a J3455 motherboard with 4go of regular DDR3 ram.

I tried a lot of things but nothing fixed the problem.

I recently upgraded the RAM for a set of 2x8Go DDR3L low-profile optimized to run with 1.35v and well supported by the J3455.. and since then everything works fine!

It solved my issue.

I thinks most of the time it is link to power consumption.

I hope this will help!

Ok I found a rather "clean" way to handle it:

1-Install the APT-tool available in OMV plugins

2-Go in Services > APT Tool > packages

3-Add package named "software-properties-common" and install it

4-Connect with ssh or open a terminal on the OMV server

5-Add you custom repository using the command:

Code
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:<repository_name>
    sudo apt update 

The "apt update" command might return a message like:

Code
    W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net/<repo_name> <version> InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 0000000000000000

E: The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/<repo_name> <version> InRelease' is not signed.

Then you just need to add the public key of the package to your trusted list using this command:

Code
    sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key 0000000000000000

Then you can run the apt update command again and install the packages from your custom repo.

I hope this will be of some help !

Regards

Currently on OMV 6 I can install Photoprism and Filebrowser and have them work fine.

When I install Docker from omv-extras.org these podman containers are no longer accessible via the ports (Filebrowser 3670 and Photoprism 2342).

I can access them locally on the OMV server (via SSH and running wget).

Personnaly I gave up after a few tries.

I spent some time on learning how to use Docker+Portainer properly and it's definitely woth the hastle.

My favorite feature is by far the Stack :

1- go to docker hub and find an image of your app

2-scroll down to find a sample docker-compose.yml

3-create a new Stack and copy-paste the docker-compose content

4-Deploy : portainer downloads the image if missing (can take a while)
    And BAM ! you've got your app running

Later on you can do some fine tuning on the yaml, use environment variables or save them in a .env file.

But if someting goes wrong you can update stack settings and redeploy instantly

Ok so I bought a 4-bays from QNAP several month ago to give it a try.
    The product was rather good for network perfs, functionnalites, ease of use, etc. BUT the transcoding capabilities were badly missing.

It was a mandatory point for me, so I sent back the product and built a dedicated machine by myself.
    As off now I am pretty satisfied with my homemade NAS.

Hi there,

I'm currently balancing between two options : building a new NAS with premium components (performances & budget), or by a commercial product (simplicit & plugins).
    Is there a table comparing existing plugins available in OpenMediaVault vs Synology vs QNAP ? (for the biggest competitors)
    For what I've seen so far those plugins are available in both Synology and OMV : DAAP (iTunes music server) AFP shared folders, SMB, MySQL server, OpenVPN, Docker, NGNIX, Plex, DLNA, usb backup, Domoticz, Raid management, ZFS support
    Are there other equivalents to commercial products in OMV plugins ? According to your needs which plugins are deadly missing ?
    Could the lacks be part of the roadmap for OMV 5.x or even 6.x ?

Hi there,

I'm using OMV for a while now and I always had hard times with SMART settings.
    I never now how do set check intervals, alimentation mode to avoid recurrent HDD wake-ups, temperatures.
    Programmed tests are also not clear to me.

I found no guides about this part, but there must be some rules of thumb to make proper SMART settings depending on drives types (HDD,SSD) rotation speeds (5400rpm,7200rpm) disk settings (max economy, max availability) etc.

Can someone share his experience on the subject a make a dedicated guide ?

Thanks in advance

HC2 is now $59.50 with the power supply.
    Is there a Synology equivalent in terms of CPU/RAM ?

I had several headaches about rrdcached and collected.
    I discovered I was not making a proper install.
    rule number one:

WAIT FOR A CLEAN REBOOT AFTER INSTALL

I came to notice that after OMV was installed, my machine was taking AGES to reboot so I took the bad habit to force it manually.
    But in fact during this last step some services must be configured to finalize the install, and among them the collet deamon.
    Once I let it finish the install job everything was working nice and smooth.
    My advice : make a clean install and wait patiently for a clean reboot

I'm not sure what you are trying to do. By using crontab directly it is possible to run a certain job at a certain time but only on a certain day of the week.

So you could run a specific script each day of the week at a certain time. Or the same script but at different times and with different parameters each day of the week.

In fact I want an easier way to plan/modify time ranges when my OMV is on and off.
    My goal is to have a grid of the week in 7x24 cells.
    I click on cells to set my OMV on or off (the cell goes green or grey)
    When I click on Save, a script analyze the grid and compute the cron jobs

So far I made a planning file which contains 7x24=168 slots with 0 or 1 value (for off and on).
    I also made a script which scan this file as expected, and create the jobs the same way as the other modules.
    The only thing which is missing now is the GUI and the plugin packing.

If someone is interested in the project any help will be greatly appreciated !

Edit 1: I started some draft using the DIY guide, but it's quite tricky to get a working GUI.
    Ext JS Api is new to me so I'm not very confortable with this framework. At least I can get some sample code from the other plugins.
    But I don't know how to create my 24x7 clickable grid. Any idea ?

Edit 2: One step forward. I made the clickable week calendar in good old HTML. The next step is to put this chunk of code into the php page.

Hi

I am using OMV 4.X latest version, and I had some trouble when scheduling the startup of the system.
    The "Power Management" settings allow me to shutown/hibernate at a given date/time but never to restart.
    I managed to program a shutdown every day THEN a restart the next day using a cron task with the rtcwake command.

It's a pretty solid workaround but every time I want to update my week settings it is quite a mess and I must use a pen/paper.

It would be nice and comfortable to have a kind of calendar grid view of the perpetual week with 24 cells for each day to set when the NAS is expected to be up.
    When saving the config, the plugin clears its own previous settings in the crontab, analyze the grid searching for ranges when the NAS should be off, and create a new entry for each range to trigger a rtcwake with the proper parameters.

Maybe such a plugin already exist, but if it is not the case it would be a very nice feature to add !

WHAT ??? Hoooo all your drive have have the same 'default' serial number. Very strange.
    Did you try to unplug all the drives and replug/mount one at a time ?

Edit: on the first image it seems that you have each drive/part listed 2 times
    try to open the mont config a show what you've got. The command:
    nano /etc/fstab