Posts by elsmandino

Hello.

I recently updated my server to OMV 5 and upon trying to reinstall TVHeadend, noticed that installation, on ARM devices running Buster, was a bit different and ended up on this page for the installation:

https://phillw.net/mark/incoming/deb_packages/tvheadend/

I successfully installed 4.3-1857~g221c29b40 and it has been fine, but for a major issue - OTA EPG grabbing will not refresh properly.

The only way to get new data is to restart the server.

I am trying to find a newer version of TVH 4.3 and noticed on this page:

https://tvheadend.org/projects…ptRepositories#Ubuntu-PPA

that there is an unofficial Michale Marley PPA, offering newer builds.

I tried to add the unstable version but am getting the following error:

I would be really grateful for some advice on what to do, next.

Hmmmm - hadn't realised that Portainer existed as well.

I like to think of myself as being pretty good with computers, but anything involving Docker just confuses me - no matter how much I read about it, I just cannot seem to understand the benefit of it over a regular plugin.

Try using the images of linuxserver.io and Portainer as GUI for Docker, might make things a little easier and visual.

More straight forward: docker-compose.

If I am not ever sure, exactly, what this means, do you think I should probably not mess around with it?

Perfect - thanks for clarifying (I have just read, on another one of your answers on another thread, that MYSQL and MariaDB are the same - that clears up a lot of issues that I may have run into!).

I think I am going to install MariaDB directly onto my server - I spent some time, a while back, trying to get to grips with Docker but never got on with it.

Hi there.

Have just upgraded my Odroid HC2 to to OMV 5 and noticed that there appears to be no plugin for MYSQL.

On OMV 4, I used MYSQL to share watched/resume status between my various Kodi clients:

https://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL - this page suggests that MariaDB is more common nowadays.

What are my options, now? I have been looking around this forum and it is suggested that there will be no-such SQL plugin for OMV 5.

Should I install MYSQL or MariaDB on my server, directly?

Hi there.

I am currently trying to use the RSnapshot plugin but am struggling with an ownership issue.

My setup:

Server1 (my active server, 192.168.1.40) - has a single shared directory called "Server" - this contains a folder called "Documents" that I am trying to backup. "Server" is share on my network via NFS.

Server2 (my backup server, 192.168.1.37) - has a single shared directory called "Backup".

I installed the Remotemount plugin, on Server2, and successfully mounted the "Server" directory as follows:

Type: NFS
    Name: Servermount
    Server: 192.168.1.40
    Share: /export/Server
    NFSv4 = Off
    Options= rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr,nofail these were the default

I then went to the Rsnapshot plugin and tried to add a new backup job with the following:

Name: Documents
    Device: Servermount
    Path: /Documents
    Permissions: R/W, R/W, R

However, when I click on save, I get the following error:

Failed to set file group to 'users' for '/srv/52d62ec6-054e-422e-9a36-a29afb5ab232/Documents/':

What does this mean?

I have tried absolutely everything and cannot get rid of the error.

Further to the above, am I missing a step?

Do I have remotemount the folder in question, then share add it as a shared folder and then add it as a job to Rsnapshot?

Edit - I have tried to do both ways and I keep getting the error about setting the file group to 'users'.

I am absolutely stuck, now.

As per Solution#2 (https://forum.openmediavault.o…tions-to-common-problems/), I do not want to start messing around with NFS mounts outside of the web interface.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I have just installed a new hard drive in my HC2 and am also thinking about upgrading from OMV4 to OMV5 in the near future (unless anyone thinks that this is a bad idea).

I used to use a 6TB WD Red but have since replaced this with a 14TB drive, "shucked" from this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-El…=14tb+%2Caps%2C341&sr=8-1

It is working absolutely fine but for the fact that I am finding that the new drive is noisier and runs slightly hotter than the Red - I believe that these 14TB are in fact White Labels, as opposed to Reds. The slightly warmer hard drive seems to be pushing the HC2's CPU into the red.

The first thing that I am going to try is turn the HC2 over and place it on a rubber mat (as was suggested by Adoby).

This should, hopefully, help dampen the noise and also drop the temperature a bit, with the heatsink being upwards, rather than below.

It was also suggested that messing with /etc/default/cpufrequtils can also reduce temperatures

Is it worth me doing this as well? In addition to using the HC2 as a NAS, I also use it for TVHeadend - would I need this extra speed?

Another thing is the spindown issue that seems to affect Ironwolfs and and WD Reds - as mine is not "technically" a Red, should I consider seeing whether OMV might be able to control spindown again?

Also, further to this

Here is the link for the FW update:
    https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid-xu4/software/jms578_fw_update

and here one for disk parking:
    https://wiki.odroid.com/odroid…eshooting/shutdown_script
    @Adoby are you using this script? Any experience to share?

am I thinking that the latest HC2 firmware update means that you do not have to bother with the disk parking script anymore on a new install?

Thank you macom.

I have spent a few days messing with this but have run into another problem.

Just to clarify:

My active server (ip address 192.168.1.40) has a single share folder called "Server". This is being shared via NFS and contains a documents called "Documents". This is the folder that I am trying to back up at the moment.

My backup server (ip address 192.168.1.37) has now got a UnionFS folder called "Backup".

Here what I have done so far:

On 192.168.1.37, I installed the remotemount plugin and successfully mounted the share with the following:

Type: NFS
    Name: Servermount
    Server: 192.168.1.40
    Share: /export/Server
    NFSv4 = Off
    Options= rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr,nofail these were the default

I then went to the Rsnapshot plugin and tried to add a new backup job with the following:

Name: Documents
    Device: Servermount
    Path: /Documents
    Permissions: R/W, R/W, R

However, when I click on save, I get the following error:

Failed to set file group to 'users' for '/srv/52d62ec6-054e-422e-9a36-a29afb5ab232/Documents/':

What does this mean?

I am just transferring some movie files between two OMV servers and am noticing that the transfer rate is much less than I would have expected.

Each hard drives is formatted to ext4.

I have mounted the folder, for each drive, via NFS in Linux mint and have cut and paste the files to transfer them.

At the moment, I am getting a sustainted rate of 12.2 MB/s - is this expected?

I would have assumed a much faster rate than that.

Thanks for the advice.

You are totally right - instead of learning this "theoretically" I need to get out there and do some practical messing around.

An emulated network, via Virtual Box, seems a really great idea for some practice.

I think I might also turn off SMB sharing, on my main server, for a bit too - not only will this help me stop using Windows but I think the difference between SMB and NFS is what might be causing me the most confusion.

Much appreciated.

Thanks Adoby.

I have read everything I can on the net and permissions just seems to be something that I cannot get my mind round. Every time I think it has "clicked", it turns out that it hasn't.

The problem is that my server seems to work perfectly - it is my curiosity to understand "why?" that has led me to question everything now.

As an analogy - most people are happy just to drive a car from A to B but I also like to know how a car actually works. Not only for want of interest but you have more chance of diagnosing a fault and potentially fixing it if you know how something operates.

I think my main hurdle is understanding how file permissions operate alongside system permissions.

For example, on my server:

user "elsmandino" creates a file called "file A" on a share. "elsmandino" is the owner but the file would also belong to the "user" group. The file has permissions of -rwxrwx---

If I mount the folder's directory on a separate Linux PC, I am able to exit the file but I cannot work out why - does mounting temporarily add the Linux PC to the server's user group?

Edit- and another thing that is confusing me:

Say I share a folder called "media" and add a user called "elsmandino". I then mark the folder as Read/Write.

I then share the folder by both SMB and NFS.

If I try to access the folder in Windows (or indeed Linux) via SMB, I am told that I have to add the username and password - I would log in with "elsmandino" and then have Read/Write rights. No problem here.

However, as mentioned above, NFS does not care about a username.

Does that mean that when I am setting Read/Write permissions on a shared folder, it is only for Samba (i.e. this is irrelevant for NFS)?

Hi.

I think I have suddenly had a "light bulb moment" in terms of how Linux works, generally.

Am I correct in thinking that if you use a Linux desktop and looking to access shared folders, via NFS, your user login name actually matters?

For example:

Say you have a folder on Openmediavault - "Media", which is shared with the network by both SMB and NFS.

There are two users ("Bill" and "Ben") that both have RW access to both shares.

Is the following true: ?

Any Windows user (regardless of their user name) can access the share - as long as they put their name, when asked for SMB access, as "Bill" or "Ben".

Any Linux user, when mounting "Media" as an NFS share, shall only be able to access the folder if they are actually logged on with the user name of "Bill" or "Ben".

Thank you both, very much, for this - extremely helpful.

I have made sure to do more reading on this, as I wanted to make sure I didn't do anything backwards and wipe the wrong drive.

What I now have is the following:

1. HC2 containing the 14TB hard drive, which now has everything on it - "Server"
    2. My server, containing 11.5TB of hard drive, all joined as a single hard drive via the Union FS plugin - "Backup"

I totally agree that Rsnapshot is best for my particular circumstances.

As "Server" is constantly on and "Backup" sits in sleep mode when not needed, I want "Backup" to wake up at a certain time and take snapshot of "Server" at 3 am.

I installed the Rsnapshot plugin on "Backup" but noticed that it only seems to allow my access to the drives that are locally stored.

My next question, therefore, is how to allow access to the folders on "Server" - how to mount a shared folder on a remote machine.