Posts by elsmandino

Are you using a regular desktop PSU with the axzez?

For me, the best thing about it is the possibility of using it with a Pico PSU to keep everything quiet, near and efficient.

Hi there - was just wondering what the general feeling has been with the interceptor board.

Now that the the dust has settled a bit, is there any real difference with this board over the previous method of using the Compute Module 4 IO Board and a PCI-e Sata card?

I completely understand - I had so many issues with DVB cards that I went with a Digbit R1 SAT>IP Box, which I still use to this day.

Perhaps I will stick with ARM, then.

I just wish that some more Raspberry Pis would come back on to the market - the 8GB once would seem to be perfect for me but, from what I have read, there are not going to be any new stocks in the near future.

Did you ever consider the ARM route, rather than x86?

May I just ask what sort of things you are running on your server?

I am still slightly tempted to upgrade to an Ordoid HC4 and try and run everything on that - just wish it had 8GB Ram, rather than the 4GB.

Hi there.

I am currently running OMV 5 on an Odroid HC2 (upon which I run TVHeadend and a MYSQL database to record the resume status from various Kodi clients).

I am also running Home Assistant on a RPi 3B+ and also PiHole on a RPi 1B+.

I noted, the other day, that the RAM use on the HC2 was over 89% and I was wondering whether it was time to build a slightly more powerful server and have everything running on that instead.

For power consumptions and small footprint, I was thinking of a RPi 4.

However, I am not thinking of something like an NUC instead (also small, but lots more power for not a huge amount of additional power usage).

Do you think this is a good idea and, if so, what sort of NUC should I be looking at?

I was hoping to run OMV off a USB stick and then run all my programs, via docker, on an SSD drive and then add a 3.5" hard drive for all my storage.

Thank you so very much for all the information - really appreciate it (especially the heads up on the SATA Hat).

Given that there are no 8GB Pis or CM4s available at the moment, anyway, I shall hang in there for a bit.

I shall keep a close eye on the forum and shall no doubt pipe up again when you have the two additional IO boards that you after.

Thanks again.

You have done such a neat job with your wire runs that I had to have a few looks at that photo.

Can I just ask - if you are using a regular ATX PSU like that, do you have to do any mods to it to get it to work? I seem to remember reading something about having to short wires on the ATX connector plug.

Did you ever consider getting a regular Pi4 with a Quad Sata Hat?

I had not realised that that was yet another alternative and you can also power everything from a single barrel connector on the hat.

Comparing the PCIe option with the Radza TACO option with the Quad hat option - is there any difference between the methods in terms of speed and SMART?

Sorry - what a very impressive array of boards!

I am particularly interested in the PCIe SATA suggestion that you mentioned above - can you use any PCIe SATA card or did you have to choose one in particular?

Also, how many hard drives do you have plugged into it?

It would also be great to know what you are using to power the IO boards - if I can use a power barrel plug, instead of a PICO PSU, that would be a massive plus for me.

mi-hol - what are you using your IO Board for?

Sorry for all the questions - so many new opportunities for a great setup, now.

Thanks mi-hol.

Luckily, I decided to skip all that and just buy a SAT>IP server - works out of the box and I do not have to worry about driver issues.

I was doing a bit more research on some of the suggestions for SATA support on ARM and I cannot believe that I did not know about Raspberry Pi Compute Modules - what a clever idea.

I think I will go down this route and (when eventually available) buy the 8GB RAM version.

May I ask what board you are using with your CM4, mi-hol?

The HC4 is a nice system. Two of them would easily do what most energy efficient x86 boxes would do.

Any arm device can support 4 drives if you use USB. If you want native sata, you have a few options. The nanopi m4 v2 is very good. If you can find an RPi CM4, the axzez board or radxa taco or even the rpi breakout board with a pcie sata card (using myself currently) would work.

ryeacoaaron - may I also ask exactly what hardware you are using, too, please?

I really like the idea of a pcie sata board for my various drives.

I run Home Assistant in a RPi 2B just to minimize power consumption. I have tried other Pies and could not see any advantages using a stronger version besides faster boot time. Since it remains on 24/7, it works for me.

I wonder if the a PicoPSU could power 4 hard drives.

Best regards.

Are you using the SD card for HA and, also, what sort of protocol are you using for controlling your devices?

Advice can only as good as the input provided :)

What service shall run on your specific OMV server?

At the moment, I think I have only really scratched the surface of what you can do with an OMV server but I definitely want TVHeadend, Pi Hole, MariaDB, Home Assistant. I might swap out the MariaDB Kodi database for something like JellyFin.

Also, possibly some video surveillance would be nice as well.

So difficult to future proof - if I go for 8GB of RAM, I seriously cut down the field of what SBCs I can use but if I go for 4GB. I could just about run the risk of not having enough RAM.

Thank you.

I should say that the RPi is a 3B+ and it is not the best experience for Home Assistant - a little bit laggy.

Also, TVHeadend is pushing the HC2 to around 70% on the 2GB RAM, so it probably will not take both HA and Pi Hole on there.

I was originally thinking about two HC4s (one with a DATA disk and an SSD for Docker programs) and using the other just for backups and storage.

However, I was wondering if economics dictate that two HC4s could just equate to a single x86-based server.

What are my options if I wanted to stick with ARM? Are there any decent boards that have at least 4GB RAM and can support 4 Hard drives?

I am very tempted to go with the 8GB Pi4 but trying to link up and then power multiple hard drives seems pretty tricky.

Hi there,

Due to some previous discussions/advice on previous threads, I have decided to build myself a new server.

At the moment, I have a Odroid HC2, running TVheadend and an SQL server for my Kodi boxes.

I also have a separate RPi, running Home Assistant.

I really, now, want to start having a go with some other services like PI Hole.

I was thinking of buying another Pi for this but it suddenly occurred to me that a single server is probably the way to go.

I do not think that the HC2 will handle all of this, plus it would be be nice to have the space for at least two other hard drives.

I really would like to stick with something that is as quite as possible and also uses as little electricity as possible (as it will be left on all the time).

What are my options?

An x86 option is going to be a little easier to add multiple hard drives to, but how is that going to compare with ARM as far as noise and power consumption go?

At the moment, I am considering something like this:

ASRock > J5040-ITX

with a single 8GB RAM module and powered with a Pico PSU.

Is this a sensible thing to do?

Oh my god - mystery solved.

I used the winscp app that you recommended and I had two versions of my media folder and suddenly the penny dropped ...

I am embarrassed to say that I mixed up my two drives, so I was using symlink to link the Data to the SSD and vice versa.

What a nincompoop - important lesson learnt!

Thanks chente - doesn't make sense does it?

If symlink is only redirecting, how can the permissions be different?

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Hopefully, when I am a bit better at understanding Linux, I shall be in a better position to work out where I went wrong!

Success at last!

I removed the DATA disk from the symlink addon and just used its full path name instead.

Working perfectly now.

I cannot work out why this makes a difference but at least it works.

Thank you sooooo much, everyone - really appreciate your efforts and I have learnt a lot along the way.

Thanks Agricola - I really thought that that was going so crack the case but:

I changed permissions of the media folder as follows:

I then had another go at recording and got this

Code
    2022-02-07 10:17:45.450 dvr: entry b57b204051dda5b71bdd0e09d1df2821 "Frasier" on "Channel 4" starting at 2022-02-07 09:59:30, with broadcast id "", scheduled for recording by "192.168.1.41"
    2022-02-07 10:17:45.450 dvr: "Frasier" on "Channel 4" recorder starting
    2022-02-07 10:17:45.451 subscription: 0003: "DVR: Frasier" subscribing on channel "Channel 4", weight: 500, adapter: "SAT>IP DVB-S Tuner #4 (192.168.1.42@UDP)", network: "Astra", mux: "10714.25H", provider: "BSkyB", service: "Channel 4", profile="pass", username=""
    2022-02-07 10:17:45.498 dvr: Unable to create dir "/recordings/Frasier": Permission denied
    2022-02-07 10:17:45.498 dvr: Recording error: "Frasier": Unable to create file

I just don't understand - if everyone is able to read and write to the media directory, why can Docker/TVHeadend not?