Beiträge von elsmandino

Thanks Agricola - I really thought that that was going so crack the case but:

I changed permissions of the media folder as follows:

I then had another go at recording and got this

Code
    2022-02-07 10:17:45.450 dvr: entry b57b204051dda5b71bdd0e09d1df2821 "Frasier" on "Channel 4" starting at 2022-02-07 09:59:30, with broadcast id "", scheduled for recording by "192.168.1.41"
    2022-02-07 10:17:45.450 dvr: "Frasier" on "Channel 4" recorder starting
    2022-02-07 10:17:45.451 subscription: 0003: "DVR: Frasier" subscribing on channel "Channel 4", weight: 500, adapter: "SAT>IP DVB-S Tuner #4 (192.168.1.42@UDP)", network: "Astra", mux: "10714.25H", provider: "BSkyB", service: "Channel 4", profile="pass", username=""
    2022-02-07 10:17:45.498 dvr: Unable to create dir "/recordings/Frasier": Permission denied
    2022-02-07 10:17:45.498 dvr: Recording error: "Frasier": Unable to create file

I just don't understand - if everyone is able to read and write to the media directory, why can Docker/TVHeadend not?

I am using a Sat IP box for my recordings and it seems that, to get that working, all I needed to add was

Code
    network_mode: host

to the stack.

It is really bizarre - I have used TVHeadend for years without any issue.

Millions of people appear to have used the Docker version, so I must be missing something really obvious.

This is getting very frustrating, now.

I have completely wiped my entire system and completely followed chente's guide.

My new stack is as follows:

I have checked on the "media" folder permissions and get the following:

Code
    root@x86Server:/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-39cd1bac-1f3e-473c-8743-aa37013eeacb# ls -la
    total 52
    drwxr-xr-x   6 root root   4096 Feb  6 21:38 .
    drwxr-xr-x   7 root root   4096 Feb  6 17:51 ..
    -rw-------   1 root root   6144 Feb  6 17:51 aquota.group
    -rw-------   1 root root   7168 Feb  6 17:51 aquota.user
    drwxrwx---   3 root users  4096 Feb  6 18:55 config
    drwx--x---  13 root root   4096 Feb  6 21:48 docker
    drwx------   2 root root  16384 Feb  6 17:36 lost+found
    drwx--s---+  2 root users  4096 Feb  6 21:51 media

Again, I have received the following error:

Code
    2022-02-06 21:56:23.990 dvr: entry dcc00b90c4e7a4c65a20a3bfe0398cd0 "New: Celebrity Hunted" on "Channel 4" starting at 2022-02-06 20:59:30, with broadcast id "", scheduled for recording by "192.168.1.41"
    2022-02-06 21:56:23.990 dvr: "New: Celebrity Hunted" on "Channel 4" recorder starting
    2022-02-06 21:56:23.991 subscription: 0003: "DVR: New: Celebrity Hunted" subscribing on channel "Channel 4", weight: 500, adapter: "SAT>IP DVB-S Tuner #4 (192.168.1.42@UDP)", network: "Astra", mux: "10714.25H", provider: "BSkyB", service: "Channel 4", profile="pass", username=""
    2022-02-06 21:56:24.077 dvr: Unable to create dir "/recordings/New_ Celebrity Hunted": Permission denied
    2022-02-06 21:56:24.077 dvr: Recording error: "New: Celebrity Hunted": Unable to create file
    2022-02-06 21:57:18.791 mpegts: too much queued table input data (over 2MB) for SAT>IP DVB-S Tuner, discarding new
    2022-02-06 21:57:28.793 mpegts: too much queued table input data (over 2MB) for SAT>IP DVB-S Tuner, discarding new
    2022-02-06 21:57:38.811 mpegts: too much queued table input data (over 2MB) for SAT>IP DVB-S Tuner, discarding new
    2022-02-06 21:57:48.799 mpegts: too much queued table input data (over 2MB) for SAT>IP DVB-S Tuner, discarding new
    2022-02-06 21:57:58.777 mpegts: too much queued table input data (over 2MB) for SAT>IP DVB-S Tuner, discarding new

Thanks for sticking with me on this - Zoki.

I am going to make this work (and understand it) if it kills me!

In light of your comments above, I uninstalled Docker and had a look at Chente's guide.

I do not have a separate SSD for docker, so what I did was create a new directory in root called "docker" and then a configuration inside that called "config".

I then changed my docker sorage to /docker/ in the addon.

I then added a user called appuser and checked the the user and grp id = 1001 and 100.

I then reran docker with the following settings:

I got the same access denied error:

I ran the codes that you suggested and I got the following:

Thanks very much.

First the good news - as Zoki has pointed out, changing the recording folder (in TVH) to /recordings and it changed from the directory not being found to the directory not have access rights - so I am going in the right direction.

The bad news - my TVHeadend system has gone potty. Even though the recording folder cannot be accessed, the system is showing that it is trying to write to the folder (which has never happened before - you usually just get an exclamation mark). Also, I cannot cancel the recording and and it is throwing an error up:

Code
    mpegts: too much queued table input data (over 2MB) for SAT>IP DVB-S Tuner, discarding new

This has put me in a really difficult position as I don't whether the error is with OMV, Docker or TVH, now.

Any ideas on what I might try?

Hi there.

I am a complete novice to Docker but have watched loads of Docker/Portainer videos and thinking I am sort of getting it now and have managed to set up TVHeadend on OMV system.

Everything seems to be working fine except for being actually able to record anything.

Here is my Portainer Stack:

I then went into TVHeadend and changed the recording pather to:

/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-a8eb1884-ed5e-45f6-ae9f-4f81f35e363c/x86ServerShare/Video/recordings

When I try and record anything, I get the message:

Code
    the directory '/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-a8eb1884-ed5e-45f6-ae9f-4f81f35e363c/x86ServerShare/Video/recordings' is not accessible

I assume that this is a permission issue but am not really sure.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

This is great stuff - I feel that I have only really scratched the surface with my server and am going to some testing on a spare PC, this weekend.

I think I understand Docker/Portainer now and definitely see the benefits of using it over an install directly on OMV.

It has only ever happened once but I remember (a few years back) that I updated OMV and suddenly TVHeadend would not work anymore - I assume that Docker/Portainer would have prevented this?

Thanks for that - I am certainly going to have a look at some of these. All I currently run on my server is TVHeadend and a shared MYSQL Kodi database for watched/resume status.

May I ask what hardware you are running that on?

The one thing that I have never used is Docker - might have to look into the benefits of that as it seems to be very popular, now.

Hi there.

I have been messing around with some of my hardware, recently, as well as looking at Linux generally.

I was just wondering what other people actually use their Linux-based servers for (other than for just storage for other advices).

There might be some things that I could use mine for that I had never considered.

Brilliant - I have just had one of those lightbulb moments.

Part of the reason I was confused was because I literally had no idea that a PC could wake itself up from having been shutdown - I though it could only do that from hibernate.

I tried the above command and it worked perfectly - shutdown my PC and got it to wake up ten minutes later.

As discussed on my earlier thread, if RSnapshot automatically runs at 2am, I just need to ensure that the server is awake a few minutes before.

Just a few further questions if that is OK:

1. I found the wake alarm option, as mentioned, within the Autoshutdown plugin (sorry - I though it was a separate plugin).

If I set a wake up alarm via this method, is there any difference between this and the code method above (or are they exactly the same)?

2. I did some messing around and realised that the BIOS itself can have the PC wake at a certain time (which could also be just before 2am). What are the differences and pros/cons of using this method rather than via the OS?

3. I was worried about using a USB stick for my server as I thought it would have to go to hibernation each time and thus put lots of unnecessary writes to the stick.

As I am now going to shutting my PC down, instead of hibernating, is this no longer an issue?

Thanks guys.

I hope I am not overlapping too much with a prior thread

but where is the wakealarm plugin? - I cannot seem to find it.

One thing that did occur to me was the amount of data that I am actually backing up - I had a look and it looks like only 1TB (most of the rest is recorded TV which is not worth backing up).

I am now wondering whether my single 6TB hard drive would suffice for backups. I could instead buy another HC2 - or perhaps an HC4 (i.e. stick in the 6TB hard drive and one of the 2TB),

I suppose it all boils down to whether an ARM device is really going to save me much electricity here - i.e. my back up server rarely changes much, so will probably only be on for 10 minutes per night.

It might be worth sticking with my current server but use a 60GB for the OS - that way, I can put the system in hibernation mode.

Hi there.

My main server is an Odroid HC2 (with a 14TB Hard drive), running OMV5.

I realised that I needed a backup server and put together the following, with parts that I had lying around:

ATX Xigmatec Tower Case

MSI mATX board with i3-2105

2x4GB Ram

400w Antec PSU

Storage: 6TB HDD, 2TB HDD, 2TB HDD, 500GB HDD

I have currently set the server up, so it wakes up to do backups (with the RSnapshot plugin) and then go back to sleep again.

My current issues with this are as follows:

1. Size - The Xigmatec case is huge and I do not really have the room for it.

2. Power

I wanted the backup server to use as little power as possible as very little changes on a daily basis, as far as the main server goes.

I did not want to leave the server on all the time as this would be a waste of electricity.

I then experimented with hibernating but then realised that this is going to really hit the wears on my USB stick.

I settled on suspend to RAM but then realised that, firstly, this does not save as much power as I perhaps would have liked. Secondly, every time the server wakes up, it has to spin up four hard drives in any event, which is using power.

Ultimately, in light of the above, I realised that the obvious way forward is to just buy something ARM-based and get rid of the x86 system altogether.

What options are there out there can deal with 4 HDDS of storage? I stumbled across a device called the Helios4, which seemed perfect, but have noted that they are no longer producing it.

If the job is enabled and at least one of the hourly, daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly fields are greater than 0, then they are scheduled.

There is no plugin that does this really. I guess you could send a WOL packet using the rsnapshot pre-exec field to wake it up using the wakeonlan command (install the WOL plugin to install the command). I didn't test this though. You would probably need to sleep for a bit after sending the packet to give the remote server time to wake up

wakeonlan MAC_ADDRESS_OF_REMOTE_SERVER && sleep 300

I can't think of a better option than the autoshutdown plugin.

Brilliant - thanks very much.

I have used the default settings for the RSsnapshot plugin to run - what time will it automatically run each day?

There is no plugin that does this really. I guess you could send a WOL packet using the rsnapshot pre-exec field to wake it up using the wakeonlan command (install the WOL plugin to install the command). I didn't test this though. You would probably need to sleep for a bit after sending the packet to give the remote server time to wake up

wakeonlan MAC_ADDRESS_OF_REMOTE_SERVER && sleep 300

I am going to give this a go and shall report back.

I wasn't sure if I could use the WakeAlarm, in the Autoshutdown plugin, for this purpose.

I can't think of a better option than the autoshutdown plugin.

My apologies - I was referring to all the various options in the autoshutdown plugin (I should have set "settings" to avoid confusion).

I used the default options and the server never went to sleep.

I then turned everything off and it went to sleep during a backup.

What changes can I make, from the default settings, so that the server just goes to sleep when idle for ten minutes?

I was thinking of turning off IP Range, Sockets and turning on Smart Tests but am not too sure about any of the other settings.

Hi there.

Thanks to some really helpful advice on there, already, I have a headless PC-based server that can back up various folders from main server.

At the moment, I am leaving my server on all the time and manually running the RSnapshot plugin for each of the folders that I need to be backed up.

However, I would like to set it up so I can just leave it to do its own thing.

I have a few further questions, if that is OK:

1. How I can set up the RSnapshot to run automatically?

2. Which plugin should I use to wake my server from suspend, when a backup is due?

3. I assume that I can then use the Autoshutdown plugin to then put the PC back to suspend. There are quite a few options, so which should I choose? Ideally, I would like the PC to return to sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity (this give the server time to carry out backups plus anything else that it might need to do, like diskchecks etc).

Thanks for that.

Apologies - my earlier post was a bit vauge.

I was just wondering whether an increase from an i3-2105 to an i5 Haswell CPU (which I have found for only £10.00) would be worth the effort and also not increase my energy footprint too much.

The i3-2105 has a TDP of 65w, whereas the i5 Haswell chips have a TDP of 85w - I know, however, that TDP is not strictly a good indicator of energy use.

Hi there.

I am currently running the two following PCs:

1. My desktop - MSI H67MA-E35 (B3), with 2x4GB Ram, an i3-2105, and running Windows 10

2. My backup server - MSI B85M-E45, with 2x2GB and 2x4GB Ram, G1850 and running Openmedia vault.

I literally use the server for back ups only - i.e. turn it on, run RSnapshot, and turn it off again.

I am currently working at home and have noted that my PC sometimes freezes for a bit - task manages shows 100% CPU usage.

That might be as I sometimes have Kodi running on my computer or Netflix whilst I am connect to my work, remotely.

It then suddenly occurred to me that I should swap the PCs over, which would give me the following benefits for my desktop:

1. The server MOBO supports a USB3 header

2. The server MOBO supports Windows 11

3. Extra 4GB Ram to play with

The only thing I need to do, however, is swap out the G1850 for something a bit better.

What do you think I should go for?

At first, I was hoping to put in a Broadwell CPU (as the MSI B85M-E45 uses the LGA1150 socket).

However, based upon this:

Comptible CPUs

I am a bit gutted to see that the board supports only Haswell and Haswell(Refresh).

I am also hoping that a new CPU will decrease my electricity bills a little - which have certainly increased whilst I have been working from home.

Thanks very much.