Beiträge von cork22

Hi
    Ah that answers my question the shares in question reside on my backup drive which rsync jobs copy to, I am having trouble now with that drive mounting properly, which would be why the rsync jobs are failing to.
    Interestingly when I first set the system up the system ran flawlessly for around 5 months and now this...

I will need to investigate what wolf2000 suggested in that a power supply can become weaker over time.
    My current set up headless raspberry pi model B, 2 x usb hdd, 1 x sdd drive, 1 x usb stick are all hooked up to a 7 port powered usb hub.

I have 3 hdd in in Raspberry Pi OMV. In the the shared folder listing 2 of my shares have no in the referenced column I use this drive as a backup for my main drive using rsync.
    The backup drive disapeared I had to unplug and plug back in for OMV to see it again is this somthing to do with it?

I have installed OMV version 3.0.59 on a raspberry pi 3.

My intent is to replace my existing NAS with the pi and 2 external usb hdd. I have all set up with one NFS share mounted on drive 1 my network desktop backs up to this drive. I have a nightly rsync job which backs up drive 1 to drive 2 all this works fine.

The problem I see is that the 2 usb drives do not seem to power down when not in use how do i make them go into sleep or standby when not in use?

This has been discovered before Webmin is the culprit, in the webmin configuration you disable it from polling the system for information eg hdd temp then the disks will spin down.

Hi
    I am trying to do same but using usb hdd I guess u are using two internal ide drives do they power down when not in use? thats the problem I am having with my usb drives they dont seem to power down and idle?

Ok here's my fstab and I see they are listed here

I can see both disks being mounted here the UID ending "b5e" is my WD Passport USB which is currently on /dev/sda this is where I want it to stay.
    The other usb drive on /dev/sdb UID ends "0b8"
    Is it jusst a question of moving the position in fstab to ensure they keep the same dev ?

My intent is to replace my existing NAS with the pi and 2 external usb hdd. I have 2 usb hdd (called drive 1 & drive 2) attached via a powered usb hub . All works fine in that I can view the drives create NFS shares & access from local network.

I have noticed when I reboot sometimes Drive 1 is /dev/sda and other times it is /dev/sdb.

Would it be better to mount the drives in fstab using their UID ?

cheers

My intent is to replace my existing NAS with the pi and 2 external usb hdd

When I boot the pie as the messages scroll by I see several FAILED messages in red saying...

"FAILED to start LSB keep folders in ram"

OMV starts ok I am just concerned that I will have problems later on, what does this message mean?

Ah I wondered about that I did try comma separating since that is the same method in my ReadyNAS duo on NFS.

Samba well I guess because I am now die hard linux and I have no windows machines on my network. From what I have read NFS performs faster.

I suppose your point is if I use samba it is easier to lock it down per user just now.

Can I convert an existing NFS share to samba or will that muck everything up?

OK read the pinned thread and I understand the settings under shared folders/privileges has no effect when using NFS.
    I see you can restrict access globally under the NFS shares settings in the client box I can successfully restricy access the whole subnet by inputting 192.168.1.0/24.
    Is there anyway to restrict access in this box to the 1st 5 ip addresses in this box ie 192.168.1.0 to 192.168.1.4 ?

cheers

OK getting there you are correct when I go to the NFS services I enabled the server on the folder "backup", the result of that it is now visible via showmount and when I go to the shared folders in the WUI folder now says "yes" under the "referenced column this was empty before.

Now I have a new problem I can mount both the folders on my desktop & laptop (these are the 2 pc with usernames I have added under the shared folder privileges) all good there.
    However using another laptop which is not one of the users I can still mount the backup folder write & delete files? I want to restrict access to this folder to only the 2 users?

How do I do this?

As for Samba I was always led to believe NFS was more secure ? Linux Mint 17.3 seems to handle the lines in fstab even if it is connected to another network it never hangs.

Thanks for your help I apreciate it

My intent is to replace my existing NAS with the pi and 2 external usb hdd.

My whole home network is Linux (Mint 17 & 18). I currently access my NAS via NFS by mounting the shares on it on my desktop in fstab with this line

Code
    192.168.xx.xx:/public /media/user name/NASpublic		nfs	defaults	0	0

All works perfectly, I am trying to emulate the same thing with OMV I have set up 2 folders on 1 of the usb hdd one is called "public" which I set up as everyone read / write. The other folder "backup" I set as Admin & users RW others RO and added two users. If I run showmount command from my desktop I get

Code
    showmount -e 192.168.xx.xx
    Export list for 192.168.xx.xx:
    /export        *
    /export/Public *
    xxx@z170-m17 ~ $

I can then created a temp directory called /mnt/omv-public which I then managed to mount and full access with the following command

Code
    sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.xx.xx:/export/Public /mnt/omv-public

But as you can see the "backup" folder is not visible I guess this is to with permissions when I set up the "back" folder I added two users which are the two user names of my desktop and my laptop which I want to give access.Here is a screenshot of my shared folders in the OMV WUI
    So how do I set up access to the "backup" folder for these two users?