Beiträge von aphillippe

Yet another linux noob here, trying to install a Hauppauge WinTV Dual HD usb tv tuner. The product page and the Plex support page both state that this tuner is 'linux' compatible but the support page only shows instructions to install to ubuntu using a PPA. Pages instructing how to install ubuntu PPA onto Debian confused me so I carried on googling.

Another page here says that driver support is included in kernel 4.7 but I'm only running OMV 2.X on kernel 3.2. So I wondered if it would be best to update the kernel or to install backports. So I tried to update backports using the extras plugin. It looks like I've got backports installed but on a different hard disk (the drop down in the kernels tab shows "Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.8.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 (on /dev/sda1)". When I try to boot from that kernel I am given an error saying "error no argument specified file not found you need to load the kernel first". Googling shows me that is because the disk the kernel is installed to does not have a boot record.

I then tried to install new backports for jessie (which should give me up to 4.8 I think) but I get errors about held packages, even though it looks like I don't have any. So is probably dependency issues.

I think I might be going the long way around here. I think all I need is a driver for the card. But I can't find any information about where to get it from or how to install it. So, long story short, does anyone have any experience or advice with

1) Hauppauge tuners on OMV/debian
    2) finding and installing drivers or
    3) updating backports so as to get drivers including in later kernels.

Any help gratefully received.

After doing a bit more reading, it looks like although my drive hasn't run out of space, it has run out of inodes. So presumably Greyhole is currently still trying to complete the fsck but failing because it can't write the spool files. But I can't see any errors in the log file. All I'm getting is

Code
    May 16 11:53:51 INFO daemon: Greyhole (version 0.10.6) daemon started.
    May 16 11:53:51 INFO daemon: Optimizing MySQL tables...

as an update to the above, I think I had managed to delete the 3 million spooled files. Greyhole then ran fsck and eventually processed the out of sync files in the landing zone. Spooled jobs were at 0, queued jobs were at 0. All good.

Then, yesterday, out of the blue, the three million spooled tasks returned. The number of spooled jobs remains static at 3,325,787 no matter what I do. Luckily mysql and greyhole are still running but greyhole is not processing the 3 million files. Also, various other applications are not functioning (e.g. sonarr) presumably because the system drive is full again.

Restarting greyhole makes no difference, running fsck makes no difference. Does anyone know:

1) Where these 3 million spool files may have come from (and if not, how do I find out)
    2) How to get greyhole to process them or
    3) How to delete them without them coming back?

Thanks in advance for any help

Never mind. Somehow, either greyhole or my random keyboard smushing has resulted in the there million files disappearing. Greyhole is currently running fsck and adding pending write tasks. So it looks like it's now working as expected. I will leave it until all tasks have been processed and see what it looks like then.

I've managed to get myself into a bit of a pickle and would really appreciate some help.

I am in the process of migrating my media server from windows to OMV. I have an hp proliant server with four disk slots. I started a greyhole pool with two new 3TB disks and it seemed to be working fine. I started transferring files over from my old server disks by inserting the disks one by one and using rsync to copy the files to the greyhole samba shares (mounted locally). I started running out of space on the greyhole pool and so I took the largest disk that I had cleared and added it to the pool, so taking three of four disk bays. Eventually this drive also filled up, but I still had some files that needed copying over. So I told greyhole to wait for the disk and removed it, thinking I could then add a fourth disk to the pool, copy all the remaining files over, then put the third disk back in. I understood from the greyhole documentation that the files on the third disk would simply be unavailable, greyhole wouldn't try to rebalance or repopulate any files marked as needing duplication.

When I copied the files over after removing the third disk and adding the fourth disk, it looks like greyhole failed to process the operations and there are now over 3 million files in /var/spool/greyhole. This has filled up the system disk and the whole system ground to a halt. mysql became unusable, even though the greyhole database is stored on a separate drive. And eventually greyhole wouldn't even start.

I tried deleting some of the files and this has at least let mysql and greyhole start but I now get the following:

Obviously greyhole is trying to read all the files and running out of memory. It looks like greyhole is not doing anything and I'm not sure what to do now.

Should I delete the rest of the spool files? if so, does anyone know an effective method for deleting 3 million files?

Ok, this is the results of running smartctl -a after five minutes. Doesn't look like the test has worked to me, but I'm obviously no expert!

I've been struggling to get the test to complete. It seems to hang after the first reread test. I have left it for multiple times for > 1 hour. Is this normal?

Here's what I get anyway:

Sorry, managed to get iozone installed by manually specifying the url to the correct stable version. Anyway, running your previous command gives the following:

Code
    ignore this, I ran it on the wrong drive. Just waiting for the correct drive to finish (which is taking ages)

Not really sure what I'm looking at to be honest! But your help so far has been appreciated.

doh, wrong disk. that'll teach me to just copy/paste.

I'm guessing that's bad?

Hi, OMV and linux noob here, (but long IT nerdery experience). I put together an OMV box using the latest stable OMV 2 on an HP proliant server. I have two identical WD Red NAS hard drives mounted and used in a grey hole pool (Disk A is set up as the landing zone for the shares). Performance from disk B is perfectly adequate but read and write from disk A is extremely poor. I first noticed very slow writes to the samba shares but then noticed intermittent issues with playing movies on Plex. Some movies (which I later worked out are saved on disk A by greyhole) won't play more than a few seconds, others (stored on disk B) play fine.

I have followed the diagnostics from the sticky post at the top of this forum and everything looks ok until I get to the performance tests:

Code
    root@Beast:~# dd conv=fdatasync if=/dev/mapper/sda1-sda1 of=/tmp/test.img bs=1G count=3
    3+0 records in
    3+0 records out
    3221225472 bytes (3.2 GB) copied, 825.229 s, 3.9 MB/s

root@Beast:~# dd if=/dev/mapper/sda1-sda1 of=/dev/null bs=1G count=3
    3+0 records in
    3+0 records out
    3221225472 bytes (3.2 GB) copied, 650.054 s, 5.0 MB/s

The same tests on disk B look fine:

Code
    root@Beast:~# dd conv=fdatasync if=/dev/mapper/sdb1-sdb1 of=/tmp/test.img bs=1G count=3
    3+0 records in
    3+0 records out
    3221225472 bytes (3.2 GB) copied, 29.2664 s, 110 MB/s
    root@Beast:~# dd if=/dev/mapper/sdb1-sdb1 of=/dev/null bs=1G count=3
    3+0 records in
    3+0 records out
    3221225472 bytes (3.2 GB) copied, 21.3882 s, 151 MB/s

I also ran the following:

Code
    root@Beast:~# sudo hdparm -Tt /dev/mapper/sda1-sda1

/dev/mapper/sda1-sda1:
     Timing cached reads:     2 MB in 18.79 seconds = 108.99 kB/sec
     Timing buffered disk reads:   2 MB in 15.69 seconds = 130.50 kB/sec

As you can see, not very good numbers. For the record, the identical drive B shows the following:

Code
    root@Beast:~# sudo hdparm -Tt /dev/mapper/sdb1-sdb1

/dev/mapper/sdb1-sdb1:
     Timing cached reads:   24812 MB in  2.00 seconds = 12421.07 MB/sec
     Timing buffered disk reads: 456 MB in  3.01 seconds = 151.69 MB/sec

As I said, I'm a linux noob so don't really know where to start investigating further to sort this out, so any help would be very welcome. Thanks in advance.