Posts by geaves

I dont have another device to run OVM natively because my windows "server" is running plex media server and I dont want to give up the native support from plex

Then I would suggest that you drop OMV and stay with Windows, I have VB running on my W10 desktop with OMV5 VM purely for testing and keeping notes on what I have tried and what I am comfortable with.

I've also tried W10 Hyper-V but removed it, either Hyper-V has changed or it's deployment under W10 is different. I've also begun to question some of the options I am using OMV for as I believe I'm over thinking what I need.

One is a main disk with a share and the other is a backup disk running Rsync using Cron. No more RAID!

:thumbup: much better option.

What would be the most efficient and/or fastest way to backup the share off site at my house

Unfortunately you're asking someone who has not done this so I did some searching and found this it may be of help, but AFAIK you can push and pull rsync.

What would be a problem is if you used the remote mount plugin on OMV created the share on OMV from your Windows machine then run rsync, if you shut Windows down OMV would lose the mount point and would give you more headaches. I think the article would suit your needs as it would 'pull' the files from OMV.

Are you attempting to use the drives that were in the Thecus NAS?

EDIT: I thought I would expand on the question;

When I go to RAID tab, the "members" show up

Can you explain the above

I should be trying to "Recover" to make them visible through OMV - but when I click Recover, no disks show up.

No, the Recover option is OMV's process of adding a new drive to an existing array where a failed drive has been removed.

What you are trying to do would make logical sense, however, if you are simply trying to get your data off, another option would be to connect one of the drives to a USB to SATA bridge, boot your Windows machine with a live Linux CD and connect the drive. The drive should mount and the data should be accessible.

I think I've already explained why I would like to follow this way, because I would like to have a redundant array. Since RAID 5 these days at current disk volumes is dangerous due to high possibility of a second disk failure, I decided to utilize RAID 6 which has 2 parity disks. Obviously JBOD does not protect against a disk failure which is most common problem in storage devices. If one disk fails, I'll loose all the data from the array in the case of JBOD.

I think one of us is missing something somewhere, have a read of this as to snapshots then ZFS is your only choice, your reference to a btrfs raid is still the same today.

A raid setup is about availability, there is no redundancy and I've certainly never said anything about JBOD, if a controller supports it then then smart is effective and usable, your card doesn't support JBOD, just passthrough. TBH if cabrio_leo can assist you with ZFS then fine, but it's quite different to Freenas and Xigmanas.

I shall unwatch this thread as I don't thing I can add anything else, good luck with whatever you do.

What about partition configuration of the disks itself

OMV uses the whole drive to create the raid.

Is it ok to create RAID 6 array with btrfs filesystem on top f it

Yes it's possible as there is the option to format the array with btrfs, the question is why

that can meet my requirements, that is:

I did answer these in post 2

Is there any simple way to support file history using ext4 fs

?( what do you mean by simple,as I said according to the MS docs you can use network storage for this, so you create a share with the appropriate permissions then add that share to SMB and it's accessible across the network.

How stable is zfs these days on OMV

It's usable, it's a plugin but not sure if it's maintained and some of the config if there is a problem is command line

There are plenty of reasonable priced HBA's on the used market, that can be flashed to full IT mode (fully transparent pass through). Here's a thread of RAID HBA's that can be flashed to IT mode and ref's to a couple flashing processes. Low cost, flashable, HBA's As noted in the thread, I went with the Dell PERC H200.

TBH I think that's the best option the 3ware card could be more trouble than it's worth, prices on ebay UK are about £30 I suppose in the US they're about $20 :)

Yes, I think I activated Single disk option for all disks. So I assume, that in this case any hardware problem with the raid controller will automatically make all data unreadable unless I use the same card, correct

That's something you'll have to test, at least that's how I would approach it, wipe one drive in OMV, format it to ext4, create a shared folder, shutdown, remove the drive and connect to another Linux machine and see if it can be mounted and read.

What are the drawbacks of letting the card to handle the RAID array, apart from cases when it fails? Is their a difference in reliability between file systems, such as ext4 or btrfs, and the data recovering in case of a failure?

Failure of the card or a drive is the only drawback, but a drive failure as you pointed out earlier you can get email alerts from the card, even that you should be able to test, set up a raid 5 or a mirror, pull a drive i.e. remove the power and see if that works.

As you have not set this up yet you have a number of options you could test to see what suits you best and get an idea on how the card behaves, this is how I would approach it. You already have something in play you just want to expand your storage capacity and installing OMV doesn't take long.

As I've no experience of this type of card I'm looking at it from a testing point of view, with the thing to remember 'can I access the data if A or B happens'. The one thing you do know if the card fails and you use the card as a raid controller then you'll have to get another like for like card to get access to the data.

This is what I see in the WebGui.

That's interesting, I have been doing some research about the card and found this I also found more information from broadcom it appears the one downside to the 9750 is does not support JBOD but does support single disk. That might account for the output you are seeing in storage disks, further broadcom documentation states that the 3ware is designed for use with drives beyond 2TB.

I have a feeling that each disk has some extra layer from the controller, so if I unplug it and connect to another PC, I would not be able to read information directly. I'll need to check what option I chose when I was configuring the disks

That makes sense, configure and format one drive in OMV, shutdown remove the drive and test in another machine.

SMART info of these disks is only available through the command line

That's a bummer!