Beiträge von milfaddict

First off. ZFS is not listed in the list of available file systems. WTF? I want to create a RAID-Z3 array. How do I do that? Does OMV not support ZFS!?!?!?!?

Second, My first server runs Napp-it and I remember the creation of the RAID-Z3 array being a fairly instant AIO operation. Here, OMV want's me to create a RAID and then the file system. All the drives are new and empty so why it is going to take an estimated 40 hours to create the RAID is beyond me.

Lastly, is there a feature or plugin to burn-in and test all the drives? I have never done that to any of my past arrays or drives but a lot of people on HardForum and ServeTheHome to that.

Thanks for all your help. I guess I just didn't understand the IP configuration as well as I thought I did. I managed to get it working by entering a proper IP address of 192.168.0.90.

Correct, my Norco server is turned off and not running. I have no idea why it is setup on port 81, I think was what Napp-it required although I don't really remember, it was a nearly two years ago when I set it up.

So what good is IPMI and what can I do with it that I can't do through the OMV webUI?

Also, what is the point in using more than one ethernet port especially since I am just going to be using SMB? Can my transfer speeds be increased by using all 3 ports? How does that work?

As it turns out, the IPMI port on the OVM machine was not plugged in. All three are now plugged into an 8 port switch which is connected to my router. I plan on setting up a proper home network later on.

Lastly, thanks for the info regarding IP camers, that is useful information since I plan on installing those at a later date as well.

#1 - D-Link DIR-855L 855 Emulator
    #2 - Supermicro MBD-X10SL7-F-O
    2.1 - 3 ports, 1 in use, I think it is the one above the USB ports. OmniOS (OpenSolaris) and Napp-it.
    3# - Supermicro X8DTH-IF
    4# - Connection - Static
    IP - 192.168.100.71
    Mask - 255.255.255.0
    GW - 192.168.0.1
    DNS - 192.168.0.1 I have also trued leaving this blank.
    5# - 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199 This is the default range for this model.

The link I have bookmarked for my Norco is 192.168.0.100:81. Should I have setup/be specifying a specific port for the OMV server as well? My router is fairly new and I have not powered up my Norco since swapping routers.

My router does support IP reservations. If all else fails, I could use that method.

That IP that is showing in my router must be the Norco because it shows up regardless of if the Supermicro is on and connected or not.

The Supermicro server has two ethernet ports. I was only using "eth0" but after reading your post I decided to use both. In OMV, I set up a static IP on "eth1" and left "eth0" as it was.

I still can not access the system on the static IP I set up but can access it on the DHCP assigned IP. The static IP I entered does not even show up in my routers list of connected devices.

Any advice on what I am doing wrong or what the problem could be?

Are you sure the system ip address you are choosing is not being used by another device?

Yes, I even checked the list of connected devices on my router to make sure.

Right now, my router only lists two devices connected via lan, my main PC and another IP, one which is different than what I was trying to assign to the Supermicro server. When I enter that IP into my browser, I get this https://i.imgur.com/X4Gdilq.png which is odd since the server I am trying to set up the static IP on is turned off, unplugged and disconnected from the lan. That could be my Norco server which has a Supermicro motherboard but the IP I assigned to it is different than the IP currently showing in my router. I am stumped by this. I don't know if this is relevant or not.

First things first - if you can access OMV locally, you can login using a keyboard and the command line credentials: "root" and the password you entered while installing OMV. After that login, you can simply type in omv-firstaid to do some helpful things such as resetting IP address to DHCP.

I highly suggest to set a static IP through the WebIF. Not through any config file.

Thanks for the help.

My attempts to setup a static IP was through the webUI, which I somehow managed to severely f up.

OK I really really f'ed up. So I could not figure out how to fix the issue from the root command prompt and I got antsy so I decided to just reinstall OMV but I count not figure out how to boot from the USB drive. Before, I was using a bran new SSD and the system automatically booted from USB. Hitting F11, the boot menu only listed the SSD or some network location. So I decided to take the SSD, put it into one of my laptops as a second drive and delete the Debian partitions. When I put it back in my server, it refused to do anything after post, just got the blinking underscore. So now I have a drive that for whatever reason, I can't use. The only way I could get the server to boot from the USB drive was to unplug it and then plug it back in after it boots OMV from the USB drive but doing this, the drive does not show up later in the list of available drives to install to. Luckily, I had multiple new SSD's to use so I put in a new unused SSD and reinstalled OMV. Then on my windows PC, I navigated to OMV via webUI and went to change the IP address to static, I entered the desired IP address, the subnet mask 255.255.255.0, and the default gateway of 192.168.0.1. I managed to brick another installation. I cannot access OMV via the IP address I gave it and I am back to where I started. I am freaking the F out, this is not helping my depression...

Sorry for the huge wall of text. I know I am an idiot.

So I f'ed up and when changing to a static IP, I messed up and left the gateway blank. Now I can not access OMV and my attempts to change it are not working.

I have tried # route add default gw 192.168.0.1 but I still can not access OMV and when I try to access /etc/network/interfaces it is saying permission denied.

There are many ways:- Look on the screen if you have one attached to OMV
    - Login locally and type ifconfig
    - Look on your router's management page (not going to explain this one)

-The screen did not show any address only some copyright/disclaimer info and root@openmediavault-1:~#
    - I am familiar with that command but I did not think that a Windows command would work.
    - Good suggestion, thanks.

My system is a Supermicro CSE-847A-RL1400LPB with a Supermicro X8DTE, Xeon 5650 and 24GB RAM.
    I Did a local install using a monitor and keyboard, this is not a VM. I installed from a USB flash drive.

I am very literate with Windows and somewhat with Ubuntu and can pretty much figure anything out on any OS on my own so long as it has a GUI. I am a little tiny bit literate with the Windows command prompt but have no experience with Linux/Unix CLI's. I use Napp-it on another system and am familiar with its web interface. I had a local Linux guru install OmniOS and Napp-it (which wasn't easy even for him).

I just installed OMV yesterday. The installation was easy. I don't know how to open the OMV application or access it as I am not familiar with command line interfaces. From Debian root, how do I open OMV or access it via a web browser?