Beiträge von stevepa

From my research, those drives seem well suited.

I think it is odd that multiple drives show the same errors.

knock on wood but so far my 2ea 2TB WD red NAS drives have escaped errors. I did have one of two drives DOA from newegg. But rma was ok.

good luck
    steve

I want to create an iscsi target on OMV for a win7 initiator, using a file as backing storage.

I am at 4.8 and have just installed the iscsi target plugin, and rebooted. I am using RAID 5 with an EXT4 filesystem. All of this hosted in Virtualbox if that matters.

My problem occurs when I try to do the GUI, Services-->iSCSI Target-->Targets-->Add-->LUN-->Add and then I can not select a device. Does this ONLY refer to a linux block device?

Is this because only devices can act as storage for OMV? As opposed to using a "file" as the target storage? My only experience with iscsi is with Synology.

This problem may well be my own ignorance, but any tips or links on this matter would be appreciated.

---updates---
    Well, as I suspected, in VB, I added another virtual device, and OMV iscsi target config allowed me to select it as I attempted above. Win7 initiator grabbed it and I got it working AFAIK. I still love to see clarification on this file vs device issue.
    More--> does omv implement "file extents"? as per thishttp://doc.freenas.org/index.php/ISCSI. I don't see some fields in OMV that are present in freenas.

Tks in advance
    Steve.

Zitat

Thanks for all the help. I finally got some time on my hands and now almost everything is running perfect. Starting again from scratch was absolutely the right call.
    I'm trying to setup a few more plugins - mainly virtualbox and mysql.
    But I'm having no luck with mysql, looks like it can't install all the file needed when installing it from the omv-plugins.org repository.
    I'm a little puzzled over setting up virtualbox - I guess your using that for your virtual machine with OMV. I like the idea of playing around and not losing everything :)
    My problem with the setup of the plugin, is that it looks to take over the whole HDD. Is that incorrect? Do I need to make a small partition for it or how doesn't virtualbox work - as I recall VMware for windows works, where you "just" make a file and don't have to change the actual HDD structure (or how you want to put it :) ).
    Sorry for being so damn green with everything linux.

While I have VB installed in Linux and Win7, I prefer to use it on the Win7 host.

I have other plugins listed in OMV, but VB is not one of them. Not sure why.

Good luck with Linux!
    Steve.

@tekkbebe - motherboard is late model Asus. More info when I get home.

FYI, absolutely every live or boot ISO I have tried, work, except the latest OMV ISO. I suspect it is the syslinux.cfg file but can not test that theory yet.

Thanks
    Steve.

From my research, I ordered the WD Red drives over the Green drives. I believe the Red drives are better suited for 24/7 server type applications.

Curious why you choose the green drives?

There is also interesting reading on the net about the pros/cons of hardware SCSI controllers vs. software method, and data integrity. See this for example: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4356053. Not all of that is applicable to OMV but it is interesting reading about filesystems and hardware.

Thanks
    Steve.

Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

Maybe it has something to do with the serial console option that is new for this ISO. I guess you could try changing your serial port settings to see if it makes a difference.

Do you mean change the serial port settings in the BIOS?

I don't know much about all this, but I would think that SYSLINUX would time out waiting for something on a hardware(?) serial port, then resume booting as it did in 3.x.

Thanks.

Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

Probably some ISOLINUX setting your system doesn't like. I have some of those systems. You could install using 0.3 and upgrade.

Thanks, that is what I had done. But, it was a mystery why the new ISO would not work...

Another odd thing is that that same ISO that won't boot on hardware will boot in a VM. Crazy.

I think I will download a Squeeze disk 1 and see if that boots. I know Wheezy works fine.

Steve.

I am having a problem booting the image at http://sourceforge.net/project…nmediavault_0.4_amd64.iso.

What it displays when it tries to boot: ISOLINUX 4.02 debian bla bla bla banner line, leaving the cursor to blink endlessly under it.

I've tried to boot it on my two desktops: one running 64 bit OMV and the other 64 bit Arch all with the same result
    The odd thing is that the 3.x OMV iso does boot fine on both boxes.

Now the really odd thing: the problematic ISO does boot on a Sony laptop!

What else I have done: checked the digests, burned the ISO's on different boxes, checked the BIOS settings.

What mindlessly stupid thing am I missing here?

Thanks
    Steve.

More info: The same systems will boot debian testing 64 bit ISO's no problem. I do not think it is the CD media.

Zitat

I will have a look at the links, because right now I don't understand half of what your writing - I'm that new to Linux, and have become use to the "hand holding"/automation of Windows. Right now it all seems very complex and extremely complicated, with a lot of manual work to get things to work. But at some point I guess I will look back at your post and laugh at myself for not understanding it fully :) But thanks for the links, it will help me understand.

I hope you get hooked on Linux like I did. Once you see the "light" or reward with Linux and gain some experience, you will probably find that the "chase" of finding solutions to problems becomes extremely enjoyable.

BTW, If you have not discovered VirtualBox yet, it is well worth investigating. I run it both on Win and Linux clients, but host only Linux guests. It's great!

I had messed with Freebsd based Freenas (NAS) briefly, but the Linux part of equation is so important that I dropped that pursuit.

Good luck.
    Steve.

Zitat von "cdfriesen"

Hi All,
    I am very impressed with OMV. When I first started using OMV, I installed the system on a SCSI drive, in fact 2 in succession. Each in succession also failed. I now have a reliable system drive, after installing and bringing the RAID back online, (which I have successfully done on all the system reinstalls), I now have a permissions problem. Any new folder can be created and everything works perfect. But I cannot create or modify any of the folders created on the previous system installs. I have re-set the user permissions in the WebGUI, but it hasn't changed anything. Maybe SSH in and run some command line commands?? Not sure which to run. I don't have a real good handle on the permissions commands, yet.
    I am running OMV 0.4.6.
    Thanks

I found this info to be easy to understand and just the right length: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Permissions
    hope it helps
    steve.

Good source of info on UUID naming, discovery and issues: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UUID#by-uuid
    And more info on using UUID and /etc/fstab: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fstab
    Good info on cloning or copying drives and info: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Disk_Cloning

I've used Clonezilla on Parted Magic disk for many years, mainly to backup entire disks. Lately, I've just used dd more.
    I've had outstanding luck with rdiff-backup and fsarchiver also. Don't forget just plain old 'cp -a' either.

When copying partitions or disks around, I've found its key to understand the /boot, MBR, fstab and grub (legacy or new), and chroot.

Hope these links help.
    Steve.

Zitat von "fpabernard"

Just an idea :
    after setting bridged networtk for the guest, run it, log in as root and type from shell 'omv-firstaid' and initialize network ...

I realized that I had setup bridged networking wrong as tekkbebe above indicated.
    all is ok now. Running on hardware instead of VM now.
    Tks
    Steve.

General NFS comment (maybe not OMV?):

When creating a directory to share, be sure to set permissions for your clients.

I know this seems like common sense, but a number online wiki or tutorials examples fail when clients access the share with a "Permission Denied error".

It is my understanding that NFS can only LIMIT permissions, it can not increase permissions. An example might be a directory set up by root, like this:

Code
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root root   4096 Dec  2 13:20 music

but even if NFS shares it RW, it will only be read only to [all?] clients.

Back to OMV now--> I need to see the permissions that the OMV software sets on a directory marked as shared.

Comments anyone?

Thanks
    Steve.