Beiträge von BBmine

After some testing, I ditched the Compaq one because it didn't work :P (I saved the Celeron CPU and the RAM). Now I'm thinking of using an Everex from 2008. It has 1 GB of RAM and 2 SATA ports (more PATA ports, but that pc is flaky with PATA and SATA at the same time). It's CPU is pretty slow (don't know how many GHz, I can find out). If the celeron is good enough, and is compatible, I might use that CPU.

How well would openmediavault work on a Compaq Presario from 2004, or a HP Pavillion from 2002? I know I would need to use an external hard drive for the data, since they don't come with sata ports :P

Yes, I know RAID isn't a backup.
    I'm not sure if I'm buying a server case, but I think I'm going to buy a regular motherboard.

If a bad sector suddenly develops and a file is written to it, no. The file may be corrupted. Also, bad sectors are usually detected on read operations. However, if bad sector(s) are detected, RAID 1 will (likely) fail the disk. A disk doesn't have to completely die to be failed by RAID.

If you're looking for bad sector protection, you might want to look at BTRFS or ZFS file systems. These file systems put check sum values on files, where a file will be rewritten if an error is detected. It's referred to, by some, as "bitrot" protection.

Thanks! I asked because the other day a hard drive inside a laptop got some bad sectors and that made me think about what RAID would do.

Using RAID 0 on a NAS is pointless. The bottleneck will always be the network, not the drives.

Actually, my current network speed is 100 megabits/s, and I was going to upgrade it to 1 gigabit/s soon. From my own testing on a local machine with a 7200 rpm HDD (granted, the HDD is 80% full, so it might be slowed down because of that), I was only able to get speeds of up to 320 megabits/s. That's about 1/3 the speed I could get with the upgraded network.

However, after some thinking, I've decided that maybe I won't do RAID 0, but a higher RAID. Just not sure which one yet.

Hi, I am looking at building my own NAS and using OMV. If I want to use RAID, should I buy a RAID card, or is it good enough to have the HDDs plugged into the non-RAID motherboard?