Posts by bbddpp

John, were you able to preserve your dockers or anything else when you started over? I'm considering doing the same thing and just saying the heck with trying to upgrade in place. It sounds a bit problematic. Hopefully future OMV versions won't be so different that an upgrade in place works, but it sure looks like too many changes under the hood from 4 to 5 to make this one as joyful a task.

That said, I love how this software continues to grow and get better all the time! You guys rock.

Both excited and scared about this given that I have held off dealing with 5 at all with my stable 4 install and all my dockers.

That said it is time.

I'm thinking since I can preserve all my data from my dockers, I can (hopefully?) not have to start over with all my plugins like radarr, sonarr, and plex using the config I have saved from the dockers with portainers. Hopefully I am thinking along the proper lines here.

If that's the case, it seems like starting with a fresh omv5 install and manually adding my drives back in will be the CLEANEST way to do this -- Note I don't use any RAID or zfs pool at all, each drive is separate without any redundancy, because I am crazy and hate wasting space.

Other than the crazy approach to the data, is my head in the right place otherwise? Just seems cleaner (though maybe more dangerous) to install on a fresh formatted SSD then re-install my dockers using portainer and just manually put humpty dumpty back together again, rather than try and upgrade on top. Which admittedly seems potentially problematic and not necessarily the ideal way to move from OMV4 to OMV5.

And by the way massive thanks to everyone for continuing to maintain for free to less, what I have found to be the absolute best solution for me for serving my home.

This must be an issue recently introduced in OMV v4 that appears after a reboot, I see a couple other posts from others with this issue, and I still can't figure it out.

My problem very similar to this thread however slightly different results (or I am slightly further along).

Failed to start networking

I also have 2 hardwired Ethernet interfaces, also seeing a docker0 interface, which does have some 172.17.0.1 (not my domain) IPs getting assigned to it when

Raise network interfaces, the error did show to me on an earlier boot, I've noticed in subsequent boots it has gone away, and the interface raise seems to be happening. I have even got as far as not seeing the "No network interfaces exist" error go away on the console login screen, however I think it's just getting fooled into thinking docker0 is an active interface. Running omv-firstaid and answering no to both the IPV4 and IPV6 questions for eth0 to re-set it active does not seem to have made a difference.

I have run the flush command on eth0 as suggested. My eth0 port on the back of my server is lit up like crazy so I know it's getting data in from the router as always.

ifconfig -a shows docker0 first, with IP some weird addresses, followed by eth0, eth1, lo, and vethc5460f2 as other interfaces, and none of these have IPs.

What other commands or file content can I share (may need to be screenshots, I can't think of an easy way to get text off of something I can't see on my network)...Would love to get running again.

EDIT:

Few more things I tried with no luck.

- Changed cable to eth1 port, and ran omv-firstaid to change default from en0 to en1. Port shows as 1000 GB and ON, still gets no IP.
    - Flushed eth1 and restarted networking. Networking service restarted, no IP granted to eth1.
    - Added my previously set static IP to hosts file even though I realize this is not needed or may do nothing, rebooted, no IP.
    - Changed routers completely (used different router).
    - Changed network cables.

Something has happened that has caused OMV/debian to no longer want to dole out an IP address to this machine despite it verifying connectivity. I'm up for any ideas on what else I can try here. All the others who had this issue seem to have reinstalled from scratch as that's the only fix. I really don't want to do that. I haven't backed up my OS settings in forever and really don't feel like starting fresh.

There has to be some other stuff I can try.

Putting an SSD into my OMV system, standalone drive just to hold my Plex library data folder (not media) because Plex is getting slow.

How can I format this SSD to ext4 but using a blocksize of 512K so I'm not wasting space? The plex DB has so many tiny files it's taking up triple the space it needs to at 4096K blocksize (500GB on disk vs around 150 actual GB of data).

Is this as simple as unmounting the file system and running a shell command on the empty volume and remounting?

Thanks.

Title pretty much says it all. Manual grabs or forcing an automatic search seems to work. Automatic searching (used to be every 30 minutes give or take) using Radarr or Sonarr to check the sources for new releases (I have been using nzb.su) has stopped working as of around 4 days ago. Anyone know what I might be able to do?

I install MySQL on OMV pretty much just so I can have a Kodi database, that's it. I'm starting from scratch with Leia once I can figure out how to get my headless kodi docker to use it, so at the same time I'm wondering, should MySQL remain a natively installed OMV plugin or does it work better as a docker? I have pretty much everything else as a docker these days thanks to the TechnoDad videos.

Opinions would be most appreciated.

I have more info.

There is one plex server in the following path (this is the one I don't want to use):

/var/lib/plexmediaserver (maybe a leftover relic from before I used docker?)

and the new one I set up in:

/sharedfiles/AppData/Plex/

which is where I told the docker container to use.

So somehow it looks like I ended up with a version of the plex media server sitting in a different location (perhaps I misconfigured one of the docker containers wrong so it used /var/lib at at some point, but the current container is definitely set to use the AppData location where I want it).

Would deleting the entire /var/lib/plexmediaserver fix it? I'm worried that there's other code out there somewhere that also needs to be fixed because if the server was configured right, it would always load the server in /sharedfiles/AppData/Plex even if there was an older plex database in another locaiton, but it seems arbitrary when I reboot as to which of the two PMS folders it decides to use.

Help?

I'm baffled on how this happened, and it never did until I started using Docker for plex on OMV, but I seem to somehow have two different and unique plex media servers out there on my server. When I reboot the server, it seems one of the two plex media servers is picked by the docker to go live at random. One is up to date and contains my movie and TV library, one contains only my TV library. I checked and there's just one visual docker container running in the OMV interface for plex.

Obviously something is screwy here but I'm relatively new to docker and not sure where to start. I checked the configuration folder I have the container using and it does seem like the files are time stamped for the time of the reboot. However something tells me that there is another location where the actual server's database is located outside of the configuration folder, and that may be the key for finding the two separate plex databases and figuring out how to get back to one.

Can anyone possibly point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Still having this issue, bumping in case anyone else is as well. Radarr is fine. Sonarr running in a docker on openmediavault, even after updating the docker container, is throwing jsonrpc errors trying to reach NZBGet. Radarr with the same settings is fine leading me to believe it's something with Sonarr's docker container on OMV. If I learn more or find a fix I'll share here.

It looks like something got messed up when manually moving from 3 to 4. I haven't added any new sharedfolders yet, but just added two drives to my setup (it's not a RAID, just all individual drives, think of it like a regular PC setup with no drive affliliation).

Now, trying to create a new shared folder (nothing to do with TV2 at all), this error throws when saving config:

Running systemctl status sharedfolders-TV2.mount:

I think this may be the key to the problem. Any suggestions?

I will admit I would like to get my fstab and mtent area of my config.xml in order, after mucking with them manually I have some concerns though I thought I had it all precisely done. I've also noticed the 2 new drives (TV4 and Movies1) I added since going to 4 don't mount as /media any more and instead mount as disk-by-label but I don't think that has anything to do with the TV2 issue (a drive I'm not even trying to mess with when I create the new shared folder). Here's my fstab:

No config changes made, have OMV4 with everyone running in their own Docker. Today, Sonarr throwing errors starting this evening.

Unable to communicate with NZBGet. Unable to connect to NzbGet. Error getting response stream (ReadDoneAsync2): ReceiveFailure: 'http://localhost:6789/jsonrpc'

Tried a restart of NZBGet and Sonarr docker containers and also a full OMV reboot. Problem came right back.

Log had an error about not being able to access config.xml, I checked and it did look like some of the permissions got screwed up on the config folder somehow. I changed it to 777 and back to the same as my Radarr user in the hopes it would at least fix things. Now the config.xml write error is gone, and I get a new error. Latest in log:

Log:

Address already in use. This can happen if another instance of Sonarr is already running another application is using the same port (default: 8989) or the user has insufficient permissions

Not sure what to do. Help?

Wanted to resurrect this (found via google) as I am experiencing a similar problem today.

Have a bunch of drives mapped in Win10 using SMB just because it's an easy way to work with my downloads from my server. Drives spin down after 30 minutes but even after I have recently accessed them, when jumping between SMB shares, I get micro-freezes of around 3-5 seconds before the drive can be read. If I play music from a different drive (not even one of the two I am switching between on OMV) the music freezes during this time as well.

So it's almost like it's not just the 2 drives I'm switching between (again, using SMB shares in Windows) that are freezing, but the entire server (or at least, the entire SMB process) hat is freezing for those few seconds before the song kicks in again.

It's very weird, and I can't help but think there is a setting somewhere to resolve this, but darned if I know. Using OMV4.