Beiträge von drinks2go

What's the bandwidth on your router? Gigabit hopefully? But if it's older it might be 100mbps and with multiple devices connected...

Could also be issues to do with construction-- are you living in an old building? Do you have connectivity problems around the house ever?

Just a few thoughts. Troubleshooting performance over a network... the scope of what you need to troubleshoot is quite wide and based on what you're saying I'd look at the network before I looked at any individual machine on it.

If you must install the google-chrome repositories,I would recommend testing the configuration using virtualization, like VirtualBox, before trying it out again. You might have some luck using aptitude (which is a more featureful interface for apt-get and related tools) from the commandline to resolve dependencies in an interactive manner (ie. select no to any conflicts).

But, if you are just wanting GUI access to the OMV box I believe there are some plugins in omv-extras which would facilitate this-- you would be looking for the RDP plugin called openmediavault-remotedesktop. It may also be trivial to install something like tightVNC or if you're not so technically inclined RealVNC would be the best choice (RealVNC should set everything up for you without much fuss, tightVNC would probably require a bit more work on your end, RealVNC also has nice clients for mobile/desktop use).

Cheers.

I did a quick google, perhaps this might help you out: https://einar.slaskete.net/201…ith-ufw-for-iptv-to-work/

However, if it does not, please remember to remove the ufw/iptables rules detailed in the above article.

For what it's worth, the web-gui has an interface to iptables-- iptables is a bit more featureful than the ufw interface (which uses iptables anyway but doesn't allow quite so fine grained configuration). You will need to update your iptables directly to allow IGMP traffic into your OMV box.

PS: I am aware that the article above is intended for enabling IPTV in a given situation, but the rules appear to be a generic fix for unblocking multicast traffic when the default firewall action is to deny any oustide traffic which does not meet the predefined rules.

plus it's an additional cost for an open source project (discourse is a licensed product)! Personally I think WBB is a really beautiful extension of what I loved about vBull and phpBB back when general discussion forums were more popular. I think it should stay. And the design is very nice too!

Hey sorry for missing your post here.

The performance is still very solid. Given I am a bachelor living in a small apartment and typically only have one device streaming media from the OMV box, it's hard to say whether or not this means much for 90% of OMV use-cases. I will try to stream from a few different devices and see how it goes for you.

Since moving to the eMMC (sorry, I did a reinstall, I'm no glutton for pain so I didn't attempt to dd from the USB to the eMMC) I haven't had any kind of I/O errors when doing big transfers to the OMV box (I use my rpi as a small 24/7 torrent box/syncthing installation), which I was having intermittent issues with when using several different USB drives (of varying quality).

I would definitely recommend it if you're like me and only expect to use the box yourself. These models of NUC can still be found for quite a good price all over ebay- you can even by the board inside and build your own little case if you're into that.

I have yet to really figure out why the heck the CPU spikes when accessing the web-gui, but really once you've got things set up you rarely end up accessing the box through that method anyway (at least for me, I prefer to work over the command line even for updates, since I usually have a terminal open somewhere).

Overall OMV is a wonderful and stable piece of FOSS!

I'll fire up a couple laptops and test multi tenant performance for you this weekend, depending on my schedule.

As a note, you generally don't want to modify the sources.list as above, this is called making a "frakendebian". You can get chromium from the debian repositories and given the whole PI data kerfuffle going on in the US you'd probably do well to start migrating away from that software!

But yeah, be careful editing sources.list! Often times it should be safer to build from source. A dead giveaway that you borked something is seeing a ton of packages get updated when adding a repository to your sources. Best of luck.

I had a very similar problem recently installing Debian onto a cheaper netbook with EMMC storage, the rootdelay flag ended up doing the trick (still haven't diagnosed WHY)... I hope the rootdelay will do it for you, sounds like same issue.

Works as expected! Now just trying to figure out what I can put in there to reduce writes across the eMMC on my cheap laptop, other than /var/log and /var/tmp

took me half a minute to figure out the folder2ram script actually does depend on rsync, ;)

Was curious, maybe @ryecoaaron can stop by (didn't want to pm) or perhaps if someone else can just answer...

Is it safe to use the scripts from flashmemory (folder2ram) on a Debian 9 machine? Basically just planning to do /var/log/ /var/temp/ and maybe a few other things to reduce writes on a cheap little eMMC netbook... I had noticed a comment in another thread regarding OMV4 where it was said not much would have to be done with the plugin to make it ready for 4.x, so my assumption based on looking at folder2ram is that work would have to be on whatever interacts with OMV plugin api rather than changes to folder2ram itself...

Hopefully this makes sense?

so I'm saying bios level virtualization, which I take to mean bare metal, doesn't matter. Virtualbox is not a "bare metal" hypervisor...???

PS. You can over provision vcore 4:1 safely so long as you're not doing compute heavy tasks... so long as no transcoding probably no issues... ? Unless you have lots of disk iops you should be fine with even 3 or 4 single core vms....???

If you want to get into virtualization and can swing it might as well go for 16GB ram, that's always going to be a bottleneck for VMs (unless you want to swap to disk, then have bad performance). Sorry, I can't offer any advice on the PSU because I'm not much of a hardware buff.

probably the best solution for home use is to make 5 tb and 5tb pools via unionfilesystems so that you can make a local backup with rsync daily. then you can have 1tb drive for unimportant data or whatever.

Raid 1 can be good for high availability, assuming the machine is ok, if one drive goes corrupt the data will be available.

oops my math was wrong I counted the disks incorrectly :P but I'm sure you got the idea kyou

Squid could probably run pretty well on an rpi but the issue is that it takes some GB of storage for even 100mbits downlink internet connection, which I assume a few kids with parents would saturate pretty easily.

The other thing is that running a proxy like that on a dinky little pi would probably introduce some kind of bottleneck on the network... it'd have to be just about dedicated to that task to be sure!

Squidsafe would do it and most likely Squid itself would save on a good deal of unnecessary bandwidth usage if there are a number of devices on the network.

I think it's possible to force devices on the network through that proxy and it's even possible to write rules to exclude the parental computers. Combine that with the pi-hole thingy would be a neat little project, I've been toying with.