Beiträge von steelo

Sorry for the confusion.

I’m not necessarily looking for a dual boot system, but from what I’ve read, you CAN install it onto a USB stick so you would still have access to Windows if you need it. The problem I’m having is I’m trying to install Nas4Free and the instructions call for you to create a bootable USB. I have formatted it with SDFormatter and copied the image onto the USB stick with Win32 diskimager to make it bootable. I also went into the BIOS and prioritized it to look for a USB drive first. The system just keeps booting into Windows, with the USB stick inserted. I was going crazy troubleshooting what I may be doing wrong. Thanks!

Again, thank you for all of your help. You are 100% correct though about the Rpi being a poor choice for a NAS. I’m sure it DOES work, it’s just way too limited by hardware to serve as a reliable, acceptably quick NAS. Nevertheless, I had a really fun time putting this project together and everybody on here was extremely helpful.

Right now, I’m considering converting an ancient desktop -AMD dual core with 4 gb ram and a 2tb HD into a NAS. However, I can’t seem to get the computer to boot from a NAS4Free USB image. I’ve downloaded several different versions, formatted the USB with SDFormatter about 20 times now, changed the boot sequence, burned the image with the same software I used to burn Raspbian (can’t think of the name of the software) and it continues to boot straight into Windows Vista.

It looks like I broke the Pi again after I attempted to download a torrent movie. The pi became unresponsive so I rebooted. Now it continues to be unresponsive. I think the Pi is just too underpowered and unstable to use as a permanent NAS.

I honestly don’t know what I’m using it for…LOL

I’m just having fun seeing what it’s capable of. If anything, with 3 computers in our house it’s nice to have a central point of information that’s easy to access. I also like the idea of having a DLNA server that our Roku can access.

I am keeping files like family photos on both the NAS and the original computer for redundancy purposes. I am thinking about creating (or writing a script) that synchronizes the data on both systems…I’m sure I am confusing the purpose of a NAS, but it makes me feel better that important files are saved on two separate systems.

The nice thing about this NAS is that should I need to access the files should the Pi crash and burn, it’s just a matter of plugging the HD into my computer. ryecoaaron suggested using systemrescuecd to access the EXT4 data.

I'm thinking though...I have an old tower PC that would probably work much better for a NAS/Plex server, but I don’t like the amount of electricity it will probably consume. Here are the specs and please let me know what you think.

AMD Athlon x2 dual core 4400 2.3ghz
    4 gb RAM
    Windows Vista OS (yeah, I know…LOL) the main reason why I haven’t put Ubuntu on it is that I still play some legacy games on it and need a second computer to play LAN.
    Belkin USB wireless NIC (the original NIC stopped working)
    250gb hard drive

I also have a 2015 Mac mini with an i5, 8 gb RAM and (I’m pretty sure) USB3 for the external HD that I use for my main system. The problem with using that is that it resides upstairs whereas the router is downstairs.

At the very least, it serves as a way to back up the thousands of family pictures my wife and I have scattered on 3 computers. Now since I am using EXT4 format, retrieving those pictures should the Pi crash may present a challenge on our Windows and Mac systems…

I looked at the raspimon output in parallel after connecting a powered USB hub and it no longer appears to be frequency capping? I watched it for a few minutes and the frequency is staying at 1200Mhz. Regardless, I have a new PSU on order.

This was more of an experiment to see how a quaint system like the Rpi handles serving as a NAS and a Plex server. As far as transcoding, I do realize the system is much too underpowered. I was actually really surprised at the results though. I was able to transcode a few movies to my Roku device with respectable quality with no stuttering. The CPU was hovering between 75%-100% but it just worked.

Hi again,

I have purchased a powered USB hub and ordered a real 2a PSU.

I now have Plex installed and am able to stream/transcode at 2mb/s 720p...any higher and I start receiving 'Your processor is not powerful enough' messages.

So far, no stuttering issues but the CPU stays around 75%.

I’m a complete newbie but finally got my Rpi3 NAS working and so far am impressed. I too set up a DLNA server and it works flawlessly streaming movies to my Roku TV. My plan is to use Utorrent to download movies directly to the NAS from my PC so I can stream later. I know I could just do this from my PC, but I really don’t like having to either keep it on all of the time or running upstairs and logging on whenever I want to stream a movie (I’m lazy, I know) Especially when the Pi is so much more energy efficient (uses 4-5w versus 60-70w to keep on all of the time) I’ve tried Plex on the Pi to transcode and got mixed results, it just doesn’t have the processing power to transcode and stream HD videos. Sometimes I was able to watch HD video with only a few hiccups. If it doesn’t have to transcode video, it works okay to stream.

As far as streaming HD video with your DLNA server, from what I’ve read and experienced you should be able to stream to 1-2 devices at a time. The Rpi shares a 10/100 connection between the 2.0 USB and LAN, so you don’t have a lot of bandwidth. IMO, you will probably have issues downloading torrents AND streaming movies in parallel…I would think the NAS would be maxed out at that point. I’ve tried streaming music/movies to my TV while transferring files between my PC and NAS and it isn’t pretty.

Okay, I understand…I will have to invest in a powered USB hub. So far though, no crashes and seems to be running pretty quick.

When I get home today, I’ll try to get that report and post the results. Thanks again

Thank you. I was able to get OMV working beautifully and achieve file transfer speeds around 10mb/s after formatting as EXT4 and editing the config.txt file like you suggested. I thought this was pretty good given the fact I'm using a wireless network and the limitations of the Rpi. Last night I was viewing the drive over the network and all of my files just disappeared. Panicking as to what happened, I discovered that the hard drive somehow became unmounted. It was weird but I was able to remount it and it continued to work perfectly.

I apologize for my ignorance, this is very new to me.

What do you mean by "Please provide the output of 'raspimon' running for a minute while you're accessing the RPi as NAS in parallel"

Can I do this through terminal in WinSCP? "sudo raspimon"

Update –

I went home on lunch and updated the config.txt file (I actually had to add the lmax_usb_current=1 line since it wasn't there) to ensure the HD is provided enough power. I thought I read somewhere that the USB ports on the Rp3 are already hardwired to output 1.2 amps? I also did a quick wipe of the disk using the OMV utility and had to ‘add’ it again under File Management. Right now, it says that it is initializing….I assume that it means it's formatting.

One thing that I noticed since editing the config.txt file is that the web UI is much snappier. Not sure why, but instead of waiting 2 seconds for each web page to load they loaded almost instantaneously. I'm also not receiving OMV errors every minute.