Beiträge von dd585

I didn't say the workgroup was the only thing that could be wrong. When you try to access by IP, does it ask for credentials or it just never answers? I would love to see the samba config for a system in that condition.

If you setup samba from scratch, did you ever compare the smb.conf that you created to the one OMV created? I don't even know how to make samba not work using the web interface. I honestly don't think there is a bug in the OMV config.

Just to confirm when you do \\ip it doesn't answer and same goes for the ftp service which were both enabled, I didn't compare configurations although I probably should have. I don't think this is an OMV problem or atleast not a web interface issue, even the graphs and view logs were giving me errors.

Initially there are 2 things to ensure as far as W10 and OMV are concerned.....OMV>>>Network>>>>Domain name this should be the same as your windows workgroup.
    OMV>>>>Network>>>>Intefaces double click your connection scroll and enter the DNS address of your home network.

I both cases save and apply....you may even have to restart both machines.

Another option although not usually necessary edit the host file on the windows machine.

Easy enough fixes but it didn't solve my issue, infact once I had performed a fresh installation everything worked including logging and graphs.

Just remember that it isn't just OMV that needs configuration for samba. Your network setup and client config are important especially the windows client's domain or workgroup name. I've installed OMV 3.x hundreds of times and never had an issue with samba. My samba config and Win10 config both use WORKGROUP for the workgroup. I would check that.

I get what you're saying and I've done various things myself, if you can't connect via \\server_ip then whether the workgroup is wrong isn't going to make a difference surely? Strangely I did a complete reinstall of the latest version, the installer did take some extra time this time around but everything is working fine.

On my existing NAS i actually setup samba from scratch, but OMV just refused to work out of the box. I am kinda interested to know what caused my issues though, it's definitely service related whatever it is. Thanks anyway guys.

Daniel

I actually have the same issue, very frustrating. I'm installing 2.x now though to see if it works.

Hi,

I'm new to OMV so I've built NAS from a dell optiplex using x 2 1tb drives in raid1 and OMV is installed directly onto a 16gb flash drive and installed via a smaller 2gb flash drive. I grabbed the latest version of OMV openmediavault_3.0.86-amd64 from the website and created a bootable flash drive, everything installed and it was up and running (awesome!). I then proceeded to create the raid 1 and left it syncing, at that point I thought this is fantastic and then I proceeded to the final setup of creating a user/share and enabling SMB/CIFS and FTP as a test.

Unfortunately this is where my problems started, the machine is not visible on the network (everything else works fine including another samba server and tested on win 10/7 machines) and I can't even get to it directly via \\machine_ip. I thought this was a bit strange so checked my configuration and even restarted but the same issue persisted. I then decided to try FTP using 100% correct creds and that failed to make a connection as well, I had read about issue with the latest BETA so decided to try openmediavault_3.0.74-amd64 alas the same issue persists but everything was working great.

I'm now installing openmediavault_2.1_amd64, does anybody have any ideas to why I'm experiencing these SMB/CIFS and FTP access issues? I might add that SSH and the web admin works fine no issues, OMV looks great but it's a shame about these annoying problems.

Thanks
    Daniel