Beiträge von jwiles68

Alright, one last question guys and I won't waste any more of your time. What about using LVM to combine those drives. I thought I read somewhere, where it may fill up one drive first, before moving on to the other. I've got these drives, but I don't want 5 separate drive letters for each drive. I'd rather just have one share.

I'm not at all concerned with the data on there. It's gonna be music, movies, tv shows etc. that I already have backed up, or could get back if I really wanted.

Thank you for your input and the links. I DO understand the principle of all levels of Raid. I already have a NAS storage device running Raid 1. (2 different hard drives. Not USB drives.) I understand also the single point of failure running this on a 7 port USB hub ESPECIALLY through a RasPi and the tremendous amount of work load this would put on all components.

It was just for the hell of it. To see if I could. I knew I'd run into problems, and I wanted to work through them. That's how we learn. anyway, thanks for the advice. Sorry for wasting your time.

First of all, let me say I know Raid 5 on USB drives is not a good idea. It's just something I want to play around with and isn't a real solution, but I'd like to get it to work and see how it is. That being said, here's my issue.

Forgive me if I'm doing something wrong, but I'm new to OMV. I am trying to set up Raid5. I have 4 USB hard drives. I went into physical disks and I've wiped them all clean. They are attached to a powered 7-Port USB hub plugged into My RasPi-3. All drives are recognized. Once I go into Raid Management, Create a new raid, name it, select all the drives and hit create, I get this error:

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; omv-mkraid /dev/md0 -l raid5 -n 5 -N USBStorage /dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /dev/sdd /dev/sde 2>&1' with exit code '1': mdadm: layout defaults to left-symmetric mdadm: layout defaults to left-symmetric mdadm: chunk size defaults to 512K mdadm: size set to 488222720K mdadm: automatically enabling write-intent bitmap on large array mdadm: unexpected failure opening /dev/md0

I've scoured the web trying to fix this on my own but to no avail. If this is something easy that I'm overlooking, I apologize for my ignorance, but as I said, I'm new to OMV and Linux. Any help is appreciated.Additional InformationFailed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; omv-mkraid /dev/md0 -l raid5 -n 5 -N USBStorage /dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /dev/sdd /dev/sde 2>&1' with exit code '1': mdadm: layout defaults to left-symmetric mdadm: layout defaults to left-symmetric mdadm: chunk size defaults to 512K mdadm: size set to 488222720K mdadm: automatically enabling write-intent bitmap on large array mdadm: unexpected failure opening /dev/md0