Beiträge von downtrip

Volker has kindly allowed me to post the URL of a blog I've written about setting up a NAS with OMV to backup my media. I'm a photographer and the primary audience of the blog is photographers, some of whom are not necessarily knowledgeable about computers (I know some who have spent shedloads of money on units like the Drobo DAS's). At least one other photographer I know has been convinced that OMV is a good way forward as a result of the post, so it is good to get information about it out there and publicise it. With current economic constraints I needed something reliable and relatively inexpensive so for me OMV and a modified HP N40L has been a great solution. Anyway, the url is http://deptfordvisions.com/2013/01/backup/ so if you know any photographers looking for a backup solution please pass it on & help publicise OMV :D

Zitat von "KM0201"

[

Explain to me how it's "not quite".. You say you built a NAS, but all you did was buy one off the shelf and install an operating system.

Again, if it does what you want, that's fantastic... but it is what it is, and it's hardly "home brew".

Fair enough, I'm not willy waving. I'll change the 'home brew'... Happy? NB, it was in inverted commas

Zitat von "KM0201"

Then you turned around and bought an HP N40L. That's like saying you built a PC because you bought it w/o an OS.. :)

I still think an HP N40L is limited, but if it meets your needs, that's all that matters.

Not quite... I was comparing it to an off the shelf equivalent like a 4 bay Synology 413 which you can have up and running in minutes. The N40L is a bare box and needs modification as I described to make it work as an acceptable 4 bay NAS, hence 'home brew'. Admittedly, I didn't go the whole hog and build the box, but that is simply convenience.

Regarding limited - sure, if it doesn't do what I want. It does...

The other factor is the cashback (offer has ended I think). Makes for a very cheap NAS :D

I'm a photographer with a lot of content to backup and I wrote a post on my photoblog about my decision to use OMV to manage my NAS. I don't know if I'm allowed to post the link - it isn't spam or self promotion but a very positive experience of using OMV and might be helpful to others. Can I post the link?

Hmmm, I just deleted all the LVM stuff from the Virtualbox installation & made a single filesystem on the RAID and the shared folder creation works as expected after a reboot. I wonder if I need the LVM after all... I used it because it was there and seemed to have advantages, but perhaps not for the purposes of this box

The hardware is an HP Proliant N40L, 8GB RAM, sata 250GB system drive (the one that came with it), 4x2TB Seagate sata drives in RAID5. Installed OMV on the system disk, updated the system, added all the admin stuff (mail, network etc). Created a RAID5 (5.46TB) and installed the LVM2 plugin. LVM is one physical volume, there is one volume group, 3 logical volumes (150GB, 3.69TB, 1.62TB). File systems are ext4 & mounted OK. I then created one shared folder for each logical volume (two using the root of each volume, the third as 'home' for user files). Setup NFS, SMB/CIFS & Rsync to use the shared folders. At this point I rebooted because I had to put the case back on the box and plug it into a UPS. Once rebooted I went to create another shared folder and found the error above, ie no volumes were showing up. I then deleted everything except the RAID5 and recreated it again but I HAVEN'T REBOOTED SINCE...

The Virtualbox installation was identical (built on Arch Linux), except I used 5 8GB virtual sata drives on one controller for the system & RAID5 disks, allocated 2GB RAM, bridged network. Exactly the same thing happened on reboot - no volumes available in the dropdown box.

Although I'm familiar with Linux I haven't used LVM before. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong there, but it seems odd that the volumes were available for creating shared folders OK before the reboot and not after

I've just installed OMV (0.4.10) successfully with 4x2TB RAID5 and LVM. After creating three logical volumes and adding file systems (ext4) I was able to successfully create shared folders. I then rebooted, everything was fine, mounted successfully, shared folders are available across the network (NFS & CIFS). HOWEVER, I am unable to create any additional shared folders. The dropdown for 'Volume' on the shared folder creation dialogue box is not populated. It briefly says 'loading' but remains empty so obviously I am unable to create new shared folders (and obviously it worked prior to the reboot). I'm new to OMV (not to Linux) but I'm not sure where to look for the problem. I can't see anything in the logs. I have recreated the problem in a Virtualbox install too with a similar setup (using much smaller disks for the RAID5 but otherwise nearly identical).

Any help appreciated