Beiträge von pummeluff

I'd love to upgrade my old and dusted OMV server, but I'd like to ask for some advice first, because there's a huge issue that holds me back from tackling this:

When I initially set up the server, I felt like a hero who knows everything - so I googled for a written guide that told me how to setup a full system encryption step by step. Yup.
    Needless to say, that I'm not the hero I thought I was and I can't even remember which guide I followed back then. Now I'm stuck with a fully encrypted and hopelessly outdated OMV server, that I'm afraid to touch, because I fear to lose access to my encrypted data.

This is my setup:

OMV on a small SSD (sda) and two HDDs for storage (sdb/sdc). No raid.
    If I remember correctly, I set it up with LUKS/LVM so that I have to unlock the system when it boots up, which then automatically decrypts both HDDs via key files stored somewhere on the encrypted partition on /sda and mounts them.

I assume that the easiest and safest way to upgrade would be to backup all my data on external drives and simply start from scratch - this time without all these heroical mistakes. But that would mean I have to invest 200-300 bucks into new drives first, which I would really like to avoid, if possible.

Now I'm sitting here - with feelings of shame - asking for your advice on how to tackle this.

Should I - or is it even possible - to remove the encryption?
    Can I backup / clone my SSD (remotely via SSH?), try upgrading and revert back if it fails?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.