Beiträge von ranX

Hi biofot,

for easier search and reading for other board users I suggest you to open your own thread on this topic as your question differs from the original thread !
    Neverteheless: a clear NO !

DLNA is a service that announces his content to all aware clients on your net.

If I'd be cynical I'd say "it's not for real men but just for convenience"
    The focus is on distributing media content over the network; regardless to which client.
    Only choice you can make is: "will I distribute or not ..."

If you need authentication, you'd choose services like smb, ftp or ssh

Regards

ranX

Thanks alot !

I made my way through it and have it up and working.
    Could write a little howto about this, as I think this can be of interest to other people,
    which want to keep existing drives and plug them to an OMV server.

Therfore I'm missing some information:
    which values can be inserted at the lines

Code
    <opts></opts>
                <freq>0</freq>
                <passno>0|1|2</passno>

and what will be their effect ?
    Is there an existing manual about that ?
    If so it would be neat to have a link.

Best Regards

ranX

Well, I beg your pardon but could we come back to my initial question and discuss this later on ?
    Maybe I made an erroneuos asumption regarding writes on the mountpoint
    but this should better go to another thread.

-->
    I can't choose any volume for creating shares on Webgui at present
    To my understanding editing the config.xml is an option, to have md0 appearing there.

So which lines would I have to add or how else could I achieve this aim ?

Best Regards

ranX

Yes, you're right but to my knowledge filesystem access starts from the top.
    So in this case everything below /media would at first pass the media folder.

It's something I never proved myself;
    But this guy describes exactly this behaviour at the last topic "Performace" (in german - I will translate if you ask for)
    He mounted his RAID on an existing folder on flash file sytem.
    Then he observed the activity LED blinking any time he accessed RAID and access was pretty slow.
    After moving the mount folder to RAM this was gone.
    Others must have had the same effect as well, as he says he found this solution on the debian board.

With USB storage but no spinning HDD for root filesystem things are a little different.

Regards

ranX

Hi to all !

After successfully finishing the install of OMV I've got a question about configuration:

When I try to create shares I don't have any volumes to choose in the dropdown menu.
    How do I add volumes to be visible in OMVs Gui ?

My situation is a little special, so I got to explain the whole deal:
    I run OMV on an ARM device (Netgear Stora)
    The two HDDs which can be attached are exclusively for RAID.

So the OS is run from a thumb drive attached via USB
    As I'm aware too many write cycles could cause this drive to fail, I installed the package flashybrid.
    So most directories with frequent writes are held on a RAMdrive.
    The ones of importance are written back on shutdown; the others are flushed.

One of those RAMdrive directories is "/raidmount"
    You can tell by the name - it's for mounting my RAID1 there.
    I keep this mountpoint in RAM as otherwise any disk access would go via mountpoint on the thumb drive's filesystem.
    This would cause wear on the drive and slow RAID access.

RAID capability is compiled to the kernel so I don't make use of mdadm.
    When I boot up the kernel provides access to "/dev/md0" automatically which I then mount to "/raidmount"

see /etc/fstab:

As far as I understood OMV can't automatically make use of filesystems it didn't create itself
    even though md0 ist listed as (the only available) ext4 filesystem in OMV's Gui

From my research on other postings I understood I got to hardcode md0 to /etc/openmediavault/config.xml to have it appearing as Volume in the Gui for further configuration.

How is this done ?
    Could anyone provide the corresponding lines I got to write to config.xml as I'm not shure about the syntax.

If there's another way, to get md0 chooseable as volume I appreciate an advice how this can be done.
    By the way: on command line all directories on the RAID are perfecly accessible via parent-directory "/raidmount"

Regards

ranX

Hi !

Zitat von "votdev"

User 'openmediavault' is created with group membership of 'sudo' and 'shadow' during package installation, thus there is no error in the setup routine in my eyes.

Yes, you're right !
    Late night yesetrday, when coming back from Sports, I couldn't go to bed before having another look at the installation 8-)
    While trying to change configuration via webgui (e.g. activate ssh) I always got the following error, when clicking the "submit" button

Zitat

"sudo:effective uid is not 0, is sudo installed setuid root?"

Short research pointed to the issue, that permissions on /usr/bin/sudo were not accurate
    They were -rwxr-xr-x root:root
    Necessary is -rwsr-xr-x root:root
    So I did "chmod 4755 /usr/bin/sudo" to fix this

Just a guess: these wrong permissions might have already been set during debootstrapping the base installation as this took part in a virtual environment.
    Missing sudo permissions led to configuration errors during installation process.
    e.g. I also get errors, when trying to start FTP as the directory /home/ftp has not been created during setup.
    It's just an assumption as I don't know if the install/initialisation process has to rely on sudo.

Regards

ranX

Thank you for your help to find a solution !

I marked this one as "solved"
    Gonna change my shadow's permissions to root:shadow too.

As I already pointed out, there was at least one other guy, who had the same issue.
    Could that be worth adding a check to the install process, which changes permissions, if not set properly ?

Regards

ranX

Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

I found an article that mentioned needing mod_auth_basic, mod_authN_file, and mod_authz_user.

I found that one too, while diggin' through the interwebs ... ;)

I'm not sure, but at least I found a workaround, if not the solution.
    Authentication uses /etc/shadow as password container.
    Permission of this file was set to root:root.

As the whole OMV-site delivered by Apache belongs to user and group openmediavault.
    I assumed any authentication from the webgui might be called with this owner/group rights.
    Therfore I did "chown root:openmediavault /etc/shadow" to change permissions of the password container and make it readable for OMV
    After this I'm now able to logon to the webgui.

I'm not too familiar with web-authentication stuff; therefore excuse me dumb question:
    Did I really find a valid solution or did I open a security hole ?

Would be nice, if you could take a look at permissions for /etc/shadow set on your system

best Regards

ranX

Hi !

Just an idea: could it be the whole thing is just a DNS issue ?
    When I try to log on at the webinterface for any user I get: "unix_chkpwd[18893]: check pass; user unknown" at /var/log/auth.log
    This is even the case when I try with root.

Strange enough regarding I can logon locally with root without any issues.
    This proves the root user is existent on the system and his account is valid.
    May it be local password authority feels not responsive for the given user
    as it cannot determine that authentication against a local system user is invoked by the webgui ?

Regards

ranX

Hi !

The Stora NAS has no video out.
    Usually you plug it to the net and configure via Browser.
    As the factory OS is pretty ugly, I disabled it and run Debian from a thumb drive.
    My wish is to enhance the Debian base by OMV

To get control (e.g. install Debian an configure it) you have to plug a serial adapter directly to the JTAG pins on the board.
    Then you start something like picocom and have direct console access to issue commands on the NAS box.
    After you've gotten ssh installed you can also go by that.

Maybe we've been talking 'bout different things : serial access has always been working.
    ssh authentiction is also fine.
    The logon to http webgui is the thing that refuses to work and which I'm trying to get to work.
    Using OMV wouldn't be too smart without that ;)

Checked the packges - all of them installed ...

Regards

ranX

Hi,

just installed and configured locales and re-ran omv-initsystem.
    Login still doesn't work; neither with admin nor with root.

/var/log/auth.log -->

Zitat

Jan 12 21:35:38 localhost unix_chkpwd[16220]: check pass; user unknown
    Jan 12 21:35:38 localhost unix_chkpwd[16220]: password check failed for user (root)
    Jan 12 21:35:38 localhost php5: pam_unix(openmediavault-webgui:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=999 euid=999 tty= ruser= rhost=192.168.168.10 user=root
    Jan 12 21:35:52 localhost unix_chkpwd[21169]: check pass; user unknown
    Jan 12 21:35:52 localhost unix_chkpwd[21169]: password check failed for user (admin)
    Jan 12 21:35:52 localhost php5: pam_unix(openmediavault-webgui:auth): authentication failure; logname= uid=999 euid=999 tty= ruser= rhost=192.168.168.10 user=admin

btw.: as I'm on a serial console I go by command line only - there's no Gui at all ;)

Are there any other logfiles which Icould have a look at for further investigation on this authentication issue ?

Regards

ranX

Well this could be the solution.
    I definetly did not configure locales but left them untouched;
    so there's just the general values of a virgin install set.

I will give it a try and run "dpkg-reconfigure locale" and another "omv-initsystem" afterwards.
    Hopefully it will work at this late stage of installation.

I'm gonna try this tonight and give you feedback about the results.

Regards

ranX

Hey guys,

thanks for your contribution

votdev: your question ain't dumb.
    But even if "admin" wouldn't exist, I should be able to login with "root"
    This fails also an generates the same output as my above posted excerpt from auth.log;
    only difference is the username - instead of admin you have root

to make it sure:

ryecoaaron: by giving "/tmp# COLUMNS=200 dpkg-query -l > packages_list.list" I generated a similar output like yours.
    Compared both lists with a diff-tool
    In result about 15 libraries you had installed were missing.
    Those were mostly codec libraries like faad, theora and vorbis.
    Dont't think they were the cause; nevertheless installed them, gave an "omv-initsystem" afterwards and then rebooted;
    I hate to say it but the issue remains !

Regards

ranX

P.S.: doesn't solve the issue - but seems the guy in this posting already had the same problem before,

Hi tekkbebe,

looks, like we're on the right track:

libauthen-pam-perl and pwauth were not called for install in dependency of OMV
    an additional package that came with these both was libapache2-mod-authnz-external

Called "omv-initsystem" after their install

Nevertheless /var/www/php.ini was not there.
    I created a new one and copied the lines to it, which you posted.

Then did a reboot.
    Misfortunately still the same error in auth.log.

As thes above named dependencies were missing and php.ini was not created automatically I'm afraid something went wrong during the install process.
    Hope this can be fixed without beginning from scratch again.

Regards

ranX

After this

Moin !

ja, zwei Netze auf einer Karte sind möglich.
    Das hilft Dir allerdings erst dann etwas, wenn der Switch/Router, der dahinter sitzt, damit etwas anfangen kann.
    Der müsste in diesem Fall die Einrichtung von VLANs unterstützen.

Bevor ich lange Romane schreibe, verweise ich einfach auf diesen Heise-Artikel
    Da wird das ganze kurz und anschaulich beschrieben.
    Solltest Du keinen VLAN-fähigen Switch Dein eigen nennen und willst beide Netze sauber voneinander trennen,
    wirst Du eine Investition von ~80€ in Kauf nehmen müssen.
    Mit einem normalen Switch bleiben alle angeschlossenen Rechner physikalisch im selben Netz.
    Das ist dann "security by obscurity", die durch Umkonfiguration der Netzwerkadresse an den Clients umgangen werden kann, sofern die das Recht haben.

Gruß

ranX

Hi !

As you're on a linux box you've got several options at hand.
    First the puristic approach by using the system command "dd" - but be warned !
    You should read the man pages carefully before using this one.
    If you manage to succeed you're a big step further on becoming an experienced linux user ;)

If you'd like it easier, download parted magic and burn it to CD or create a bootable USB to run it from.
    It's a linux live system, that has clonezilla an gparted (linux partition tool with GUI) aboard.
    My recommend as it's somehow a swiss army knife aside of cloning it offers many more options
    like hardware diagnostics and repair options e.g. for wrecked windows filesystems.

For the totally lazy ones there's Redo Backup & Recovery which is also OpenSource.

Use what's most to your flavour

Regards

ranX