Beiträge von eskimio

FYI - To anyone who finds this in the future:

The NIC I was using on both ends is a Silicom PE210G2BPI9. Since these cards were designed with a bypass mode which is enabled by default, I needed to download Silicom's driver control software (bpctl) to disable this mode. After that, the cards started showing the flapping issue with the repository-installed ixgbe package which was quite old compared to the newest one available directly from Intel. So, I installed the newest driver from Intel, which changed the issue slightly but the flapping persisted. Ultimately, I solved my issue from installing the validated ixgbe driver included in the tarball provided by Silicom, which included the aforementioned driver control software. The version I used to successfully bring up the link was ixgbe-5.9.4ms7.1.

Here are some useful links and a TL;DR:

1. Retrieve the Silicom driver which matches your NIC, for me it was here: Silicom PE210G2BPI9
    2. Clear the system of pre-existing ixgbe drivers (assuming you have no other NICs using the driver)
    3. Install and run the bpctl utility to disable bypass for each port & permanently disable them through power cycles
    4. Make and install the ixgbe driver from version 5.9.3ms7.1, which can be found in a subfolder of the driver download directory
    5. Reload/run the ixgbe driver, and your system should see the NICs
    6. Configure networking for each port as normal

Helpful references/tools:

I have a Dell R510 running the newest version of OMV with an Intel 82599es based Silicom PE210G2BPI9 2x10Gbps LC/LC MMF NIC on the newest ixgbe driver (downloaded and compiled locally). I also have a Dell R710 running the newest version of Ubuntu LTS 20.04 with the same NIC and the same driver. The NICs are directly connected to one another with brand new LC/LC MMF cables and static private IP addresses.

I am able to raise a link between both NICs on their respective hosts, but no matter what I do I cannot discern why I have a flapping issue:

Before upgrading the firmware, this was happening on both hosts whenever a link was established.
    After upgrading the firmware, the issue only seems to be happening on the OMV host, which is why I'm posting here now.

I have checked transmit/receive and driver/interface errors and there are none.
    I have also checked and even replaced the LC/LC MMF cables.
    At this point, I'm wondering if there's some strange configuration race condition or mix-up somewhere from when I was troubleshooting getting these NICs up in the first place (it wasn't easy getting to this point).

Does anyone have any insight as to what the issue might be or where I can go from here?

An excellent response which answered a question I had not yet asked!

I was wondering if maybe the PLEX webgui might interfere with the OMV webgui but your answer just solved that for me. In fact, I was hoping/planning/intending on installing Docker and using that as a basis for several other applications I had hoped to host on my server. Excellent.

Thank you so much for your help! It's users like you that make the world of Linux less inhospitable and more inviting. :)

Cheers!

I apologize for my ignorance, I'm only just getting the hang of such things.

Thank you for your insight and assistance.

If I may, I'm not sure I follow when you speak of unreleased beta code? Are you talking about the PLEX plugin or the OMV installation I'm currently using?

To make my user experience as fluid and, hopefully, trouble-free as possible, do you recommend using OMV 3.x instead of 4.x?

Unfortunately the only "manual change" that I've applied outside the web gui was done via ssh while logged into root:

echo "deb https://dl.bintray.com/openmediavault-plugin-developers/erasmus-plex {distribution} {components}" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list

I did also add a commented line via nano in the sources.list file to indicate what that was.

Everything else was done as simply/automatically as possible via the installer or in the web gui.

dpkg -l | grep openm
    grep -r bintray /etc/apt/*
    returns...

Code
    root@morty:~# dpkg -l | grep openm
    ii  openmediavault                   4.0.9-1                        all          openmediavault - The open network attached storage solution
    ii  openmediavault-keyring           1.0                            all          GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive
    root@morty:~# grep -r bintray /etc/apt/*
    /etc/apt/sources.list:deb https://dl.bintray.com/openmediavault-plugin-developers/arrakis {distribution} {components}
    /etc/apt/sources.list:deb https://dl.bintray.com/openmediavault-plugin-developers/arrakis-plex {distribution} {components}

Edit: FYI, I've reinstalled OMV once before the current installation and the previous installation had the same web GUI temp file pop-up errors without having changed a single thing. I first noticed it when I went to make the first change -- updating the admin password -- and it has been an issue ever since.

Code
    cat: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/omv-extras-org.list: No such file or directory

:(

I should mention a couple things that may be helpful.

First - For some reason I could not install OMV on a flash drive. I have two brand new, never-been-used 16GB Sandisk USB 3.0 capable flash drives that I tried and was intending to use (one as the primary, one as the backup) but despite detecting them both in the partitioning/installing portion of the setup process, it said they could not be partitioned. The OS is currently installed on a secondhand 250GB 7200 RPM Hitachi disk.

Second - Once in the web gui, almost every single time I save or apply a change, I get an error pop-up referring to my temp folder. If I try saving/applying again, there's a chance I'll get another pop-up referring to the same issue or a different issue (again referring to a file in the temporary folder) but if I keep trying, eventually the progress bar pops up and the change is applied. Not sure if this has something to do with the issue or not.

I recently installed OMV on a "new" server and everything is setup properly AFAIK, but I can't seem to get PLEX installed.

Here's the current issue I'm running into:

Can anyone shed any insight?

Thanks!