Beiträge von RastaFabi

I got it to work, but it broke again, due to still being damaged. I pinned down most of the issues remaining (nginx not coming up, as well as this previously described issue) to having corrupted remains (salt, .sls, .so files) of the previously damaged filesystem remaining in the rsync backup. Those appear file regarding file size, but they are unreadable corrupted "data" files. I tried replacing those manually one by one to get to a working state but this apparently only intermediately helped. Now I cannot boot anymore due to some missing (damaged) fsck dependencies (unresolved symbols). If no-one has another idea the last hacky thing I'm gonna try now is to to reinstall the specific version of OMV I had, than resync/cp -a everything from the old backup which isn't there yet, and than fully sync any .sls and .conf files, as well os some specific files like fstab. If this does not work I will resort to reinstalling everything and setting it up again based on the infos I can read out of the backup. Sadly there still is no export configuration function as far as I know, which would allow me to save my setup, once I get it to a semi working state.

Sad to see that even a backup does not help me, though I shamelessly need to say that I do not had enough of those... but even if I had there would be no way do determine which backup would have worked since the filesystem had to be severely damaged since quiet some time, though I might have realised earlier... Although I never got posted any error even though reporting via mail was set up.

The salt package necessary here is available from the openmediavault repository! Remove the version you installed together with the repository and install the correct version:

apt-get install --reinstall salt=3002.2+ds-1 salt-common=3002.2+ds-1

Please don't use third party repositories except they get installed by omv itself (e.g. via omv-extras).

This was the version which was installed beforehand. It did throw the error that it is not compatible and version 3001.1 was needed. I will revert to this nonetheless, as it did not solve the issue.

apt-cache policy salt

sudo apt-get install -f

I did install the required version of salt using this repo and this guide. However now it fails quite verbosely (shortened due to repeated sections and overlength) due to jinja. Sadly without stating a version requirement.

aptreacts quite strangely regarding jinja2. Apparently it is somewhat available but it cannot be reinstalled, neither it can be found by apt install.

PS.: Shall I move this to a new issue, so people might find it easier?

Thank you! I'm back booting again 😊 though not back running, as I cannot get the Web-Interface back up. Apparently the state I could save via rsync, was somewhat in between a failing update. Now I resolved all package configuration issues but one:dpkg --configure openmediavault

Hello community!

I find myself in a precarious situation. The USB flash disk I used to boot OMV from died. When I realised this (fsck failed… usually run as read only, no swap partition) I tried do make a backup using dd but it failed. (at the drives 9GB location is got so slow that it took 48h to save 200MB… 7GB were to go. I cancelled the operation. Luckily I was able to make an rsync -a backup… shortly before the drive died altogether and cannot even be reformatted.

However this backup does not include the in the MBR sector located grub2 BIOS loader, and obviously features the originals drive UUID in grub.cfg.

How would I proceed now to restore my readily setup and previously working OMV installation?

Thanks in advance.

Best, Fabian

*I do have an entire drives dd img from an older working state (older kernel & settings), if this helps.

The RAID mostly houses some replaceable files (movies, which I do not care to backup), ISO installers and so on. Additionally it serves as a local file exchange server, but as such only temporarily houses documents which are on the client computers anyway. It serves a cordless backup solution locally, though any computer backed up does has another wired backup anyway which is run on a less frequent basis.

Regarding the steps I did:

1. Setup everything as default using SynologyOS (XPEnology is more or less only a bootloder with some additional drivers chain loading a legit business grade Synology installation). - Running this way for months now with a reboot about every 2-3 months

2. Power down and replace the SynologyOS USB with a VM made cloned (.vdi – .img – drive using dd) running OMV with the swap partition removed and the OMV-extras flash extension installed and fstab setup accordingly.

3. Power up OMV and rename the Btrfs "volume" (raid appliance) from terminal using brtfs label as OMV cannot deal with blanks in the label

4. realising that the sub volumes are not available and running Btrfs scrub to validate the fs as those folders/sub-volumes appeared as shown above. No errors found at all.

5. Restarting from my Synology USB just to find that everything works fine as it is supposed to be.

PS: Power-loss is no issue here, unlike for instance in the US. I experienced one once in my lifetime some chilling 17 years back or so.

Hello community,

after initially experimenting with OMV some time back on my raspberry pi (single client backup+airplay) I got ahold of a HP HomeServer which I used a while with macOS installed (local home photo-sharing) and later after I migrated my photo-library to iCloud with XPEnology.

While the overall user experience is great the network read performance is subbar with any OS which I suspect the hacky XPEnology network drivers to blame for.

Preparing an external OMV flash install (4 internal drives dedicated to RAID5) went fine and the RAID can be seen and mounted after some fiddling around. What does not work however are the BTRFS sub-volumes. Neither do they show up as sub-volumes using the Btrfs utils (though I might have gone wrong? Btrfs show /sub/volume/path ) nor there is any error when checking the filesystem. However they are listed as not accessible folders in their respected top level directors with wired permissions.

Code
    ls -n /btrfs/volume 

drwxr-xr-x   1 502  20  12288 24 Aug 18:14 Folder_1
    drwx------   1 502  20  16384 26 Aug 15:23 Folder_2
    drwxrwxr-x   6 0    80    192 10 Jul 00:28 Folder_3
    d?????????   ? ?    ?       ?  ?   ?     ? BTFRS_SUB-VOLUME_1
    drwx------   1 502  20  16384 12 Apr 12:11 Folder_4
    d?????????   ? ?    ?       ?  ?   ?     ? BTFRS_SUB-VOLUME_2
    d?????????   ? ?    ?       ?  ?   ?     ? BTFRS_SUB-VOLUME_3
    d?????????   ? ?    ?       ?  ?   ?     ? BTFRS_SUB-VOLUME_4

How may I mount them/add them to fstab to auto mount them?

Best RastaFabi

PS.: Booting back to XPEnology again I can access the volumes just like regular folders.

Might have found something on the Pi forum.....you just did brctl addbr br0 after you executed that you should have done brctl addif br0 wlan0 eth0
    Then have a look at this 6th post

I did execute it. Third last line in the screenshot attached above.

The thread also links du the bridging guide, which is not applicable du to that fact that I do not want the RPi du be a WiFi router rather than a client within a network. The same applies for the wpa_supplicant route.

What I still did not see through is the NAT routing though after already following some guides leading to only creating a wifi internet terminal rather than a connection between the wifi and the ethernet network I doubt that it is feasible for this specific use case. Also this is another layer 3 implementation rather when a layer 2 one which I need according to @tkaiser.

Thank you anyway.

––––––

There is also some information on the Pi site

This does look quiet good on first inspection. It's actually bridging but circumventing the direct access to the WiFi adapter. I gonna try tomorrow. Thank you very much.

Believe what you want to believe and continue on layer 3 while you need to do this on layer 2. :)
    I use various SBC as wireless/Ethernet bridges (even tested on the RPi but there in a different mode for a reason) just usually not those with close to unusable Wi-Fi like the RPi (2x2 MIMO and 5GHz band is nicer)

I just got a little bit further (understanding the issue… rather than solving). I've not meant to be offensive though I obviously reached to far with my previous statement. Of course you are right that bridging wifi to ethernet IS possible as openWRT and similar routers do this. That said, this also appears to be the problem I'm running in: It seems to not be possible to bridge "managed wlans" if I understand this correctly.

I'm not familiar enough with all of this to be able do differentiate what processes belong to which layer. Is it like hardware, driver, software?
    I do not mind using whatever solution nor do I insist on following a specific route. I'm just trying to enable the desired functionality following the guides I find.

What I think now, after reading on, is actually describes best as: Using a [computer] as a wired access point to a WiFi network (extending plain internet access).

If you can guide me through the process or can suggest another way (as "just bridging" appears not to work) I'd be deeply thankful.

Ah sorry didn't realise it's was the same as editing conf file directly....btw what's the make and model of the printer, or did miss that?

It's an old but trustworthy HP LaserJet P2015n, which allows me doing some excessive low cost printing, which I need for studying.

@geaves Applying the bridge configuration in /etc/network/interfaces is just the same as the commands I ran - only the "hardwired" way. And just alike the commands it does not work, as wlan interfaces aren't supported by bridge-utils.

I know it could be easier (I would just have to connect the network printer to the router), but my flat does not allow me to do so due to the routers location and the absence of build-in ethernet cabling.

However it seems like I found what I have been searching for (Only the other way around). I will test and try later.

Actually the thread does not contain any prove, that the guid does actually work. Only one command saying it's known not to work, like I mentioned previously. Supposedly the author of the guide just assumed it would work like you did. I'm currently researching "wpa_supplicant" as this seems to be a viable option, though only mentioned incidentally on the thread.

EDIT:
    Apparently only relevant for broadcasting wifi.

Thank you for your input!

@Adoby: While the GL-AR150 sound like the perfect, easy too setup device to do the task, I'd like to keep it being handled by my OMV box, as it totally fit's the purpose without needing an additional device.

@tkaiser I will read the linked wiki and try this tomorrow! Previously I refrained from using bridge-utils as I read they can only bridge dual ethernet or ethernet to wifi but not the other way around (see last but one post of this thread – Ingo, February 28).

Hello community!

while I use a RPi this would apply to any OMV machine, so might end up being an universal guide.

In my current setup I use an RPi3 as a TimeMachine backup-server and our flats sharing server. Additionally I use it as a AirPlay receiver using shairplay-sync rather than the outdated shairplay plugin. Due to it's location the RPi is connected via WiFi.

What I'm struggling to achieve now, is bridging it's ethernet-port to a network printer.
    After I first tried to simply rely on USB printing I was not to satisfied with the available driver options and rather wanted to use the printers native OS drivers. Therefor I connected the printer via it's ethernet port to my OMV box and setup an DHCP server. While this setup works okay-ish broadcasting the printer via smb sharing and thus having rather good OS support, the printer website still cannot be accessed even though ion forwarding is enabled in the kernel. While the website is already advertised across the subnets using Avahi (Bonjour) via mDNS-multicast it's not accessible from my local wifi. Also this appears to somehow overkill as I only want to connect one device to my local wifi and running a DHCP server therefor seems excessive.

The functionality I basically try to achieve is the one of a wifi repeater featuring an ethernet port to connect non wifi devices to the wireless network. (Without the wifi repeating in this case, of course.) This would also circumvent the need to run a CUPS server on my OMV box altogether reducing it's overall load.
    I've experimenting with iptables but never achieved what I wanted. If searched the web and followed some guides and this way I archived the current implementation using DHCP but couldn't find anything working the way I actually want. So any help or maybe even some kind of guide would be welcome. If there are alternative implementation suggestions I'd be delighted to hear them, too.
    While I'm not a "Linux-guy" if feel comfortable in the command line environment and don't mind running whatever command (apart from r*m -rf /) (in this case via SSH from my MacBook).

Best,
    MacPi

Hello community!

while I use a RPi this would apply to any OMV machine, so might end up being an universal guide.

In my current setup I use an RPi3 as a TimeMachine backup-server and our flats sharing server. Additionally I use it as a AirPlay receiver using shairplay-sync rather than the outdated shairplay plugin. Due to it's location the RPi is connected via WiFi.

What I'm struggling to achieve now, is bridging it's ethernet-port to a network printer.
    After I first tried to simply rely on USB printing I was not to satisfied with the available driver options and rather wanted to use the printers native OS drivers. Therefor I connected the printer via it's ethernet port to my OMV box and setup an DHCP server. While this setup works okay-ish broadcasting the printer via smb sharing and thus having rather good OS support, the printer website still cannot be accessed even though ion forwarding is enabled in the kernel. While the website is already advertised across the subnets using Avahi (Bonjour) via mDNS-multicast it's not accessible from my local wifi. Also this appears to somehow overkill as I only want to connect one device to my local wifi and running a DHCP server therefor seems excessive.

The functionality I basically try to achieve is the one of a wifi repeater featuring an ethernet port to connect non wifi devices to the wireless network. (Without the wifi repeating in this case, of course.) This would also circumvent the need to run a CUPS server on my OMV box altogether reducing it's overall load.
    I've experimenting with iptables but never achieved what I wanted. If searched the web and followed some guides and this way I archived the current implementation using DHCP but couldn't find anything working the way I actually want. So any help or maybe even some kind of guide would be welcome. If there are alternative implementation suggestions I'd be delighted to hear them, too.
    While I'm not a "Linux-guy" if feel comfortable in the command line environment and don't mind running whatever command (apart from r*m -rf /) (in this case via SSH from my MacBook).

Best,
    MacPi

Hello community!

Best,
    MacPi

I did, but I do nor recall exactly how. I remember that installing alsa-utils via apt using ssh was involved. Additionally I recommend installing shhairport-sync using ssh rather than the OMV shairport package as it offers several advantages including synced audio (eg. for movies).

Edit:
    Installing a DAC might be worthful for improved audio quality.
    https://www.hifiberry.com/shop…erry-dacplus-rca-version/

Edit2:
    Though not meant as a guide this website might be helpful:
    https://sites.google.com/site/semilleroadt/home/raspberry-pi

Hello there!

I'm new to the OMV community. Just today I received my Raspberry Pi 3 which I intended to use as a Time Machine backup server. I was really amazed by the incredible easy setup, with no screen or keyboard connected to the Pi at any time. I also added some SMB shares as well as enabling ssh.
    I tried installing the OMV Shairport plugin, and the device was directly found from my Mac (which I use for sharing the internet connection using ethernet, right now). However the Pi did not output anything using the headphone jack. I thought that the plugin might be depreciated so I uninstalled it and installed shairport-sync from the Debian repository using ssh. However I ended up with no audio again. I started digging and tried setting the Pi's audio device using amixer from the alsa-utils package but the amixer command just failed. Now I do not know any further. It would be great if someone could point me into the right direction of how to output audio via the headphone jack from a Raspberry Pi using OMV.

Best MacPi

(PS.: Next step is to get wlan working because enabling it from the web interface and setting up the SSID and PW just wasn't enough.)