Beiträge von denpa999

Thanks for the info tkaiser. I'll have a look at configuring it without a dhcp server. However, I need to to have my PC connected to the internet through a router as well, which means I'll have two networks connected to my PC. It might cause problems.

I connected the two devices using a cat5e patch cable. The NICs on the motherboards of the two machines are identical - Realtek 8111F, gigabit compatible.

I might just connect the device to a router after all, since I'll have to find a way to share internet to the OMV machine after as well. But, I'm just curious whether a set up like this is possible.

I forgot to mention, it works if I connect it through a router. But if possible I'd like to try skipping the router, because I don't need any other device on the network connected to it but my PC.

Hello. I am inexperienced in networking and I apologize if this question is very simple to answer.

What I am trying to achieve is connecting a machine running OMV to my PC using an ethernet cable. If I try to do this, my PC simply sees it as an undentified network. I also get an error, ''Local area connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration''. Windows 7.
    I want to know whether it is possible to configure the devices so the network is functional.