Beiträge von Ex3c

I have now received my Kodlix GN41 with 8GB Ram. Did some first tests as a “headless Server", so only power supply and gigabit ethernet connected. Power measurements were done in idle with a Profitec KD302 power meter, which was tested with good accuracy.

Kodlix GN41, Windows 10:1,8 W
    Kodlix GN41, Ubuntu 19.10 Desktop:1,4 W - 1,5 W
    Raspberry 3B, Raspian Buster:1,8 W
    Raspberry 3B+, Raspbian Buster:2,8 W

The Raspberry 4 should consume more power than a 3B+. Other „high performance“ arm sbc devices with 4GB ore more Ram like RK3399 devices show also a idle power consumption in the range of the raspberries.

So it seems they made a nice, power efficient design with the motherboard used in the GN41. In different tests, boxes using the same motherboard ore a variation of it, show also a low power consumption.
    Other implementations of the same intel chipset show higher power consumption in different tests like the Zotac ZBox CI329.

1) Around 1W:

NanoPi NEO2 or Orange Pi Zero Plus: pretty inexpensive, both based on Allwinner H5 SoC, both with 4 real USB2 ports (no internal USB hub used, no bandwidth shared, 2 ports on pin headers), both with Gigabit Ethernet, both able to be combined with useful, inexpensive and performant NAS add-ons (NAS Kit v1.2 for NEO2, NAS Expansion board for Orange Pis). 'NAS performance' 4 times better than Raspberry Pi, when playing USB RAID (never recommended!) it's even 7-8 times better. Since storage here means USB2 the problem is consumption of the used USB-to-SATA bridge (which needs some juice even if the disk behind is sleeping/standby). The trick to get at 1W is to switch Ethernet from GbE to Fast Ethernet (saves ~350mW) and to use the GPIO pins + a MOSFET to also switch off a connected USB-to-SATA bridge if device is not needed.

Hi, i am interested in this low power class of SBC boards with Gigabit Ethernet.

Has anyone measured both, and are there differences between the NanoPi NEO2 or Orange Pi Zero Plus regarding idle power consumption ?

I have read a comment from tkaiser that the NEO2 with Gigabit Ethernet has a idle consumption of 0.95W (https://www.heise.de/forum/p-30122332/).

Maybe i misunderstood it, because in the above quoted statement it seems that you have to switch to Fast Ethernet AND to physical disconnet (GPIO controlled MOSFET switching the 5v USB power line?) the USB drive to get ~1W idle.

And are there experiences with the "bigger" H5 boards like Orange PI PC 2 or Orange Pi Prime regarding idle power consumption, when the have same settings e.g. for cpu/ram clock like the "small" boards ?

Because of more Ram and more/different componentes on the board there might be higher consumption; but they offer also a more flexible CPU voltage regulator, that seems to get down to 1.04V (https://linux-sunxi.org/Xunlon…C_2#CPU_clock_speed_limit) at idle vs. 1.1V for NanoPi NEO2 or Orange Pi Zero Plus.