Beiträge von ScaryCanary

Sorry, I tried a few things over the last few days, but no dice. I think it's either the drive or the cable. I'm thinking the cable since I'm using the modified BIOS for my N40L in order to use the external eSATA port. I'll try a new cable and get back to you. But thank you for the input.

Hello everyone.

I've recently run into some problems with my RAID 5 setup. I added a drive to the RAID by using 'Grow' and then 'Resize'. After that the RAID had a bigger capacity, but it showed up as 'clean, degraded'. I searched a bit and decided to wipe the new drive and use 'Recover' to add it to the RAID. But the rebuild fails after a couple of minutes and the drive shows up as 'failed'. When I reboot the machine, the drive shows up as 'removed'.
    I already checked the cable connection and SMART values. Both seem to be fine. I don't know what to do anymore. I searched, but I'm unsure as to how to proceed. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

The name of the added drive is 'sde'.

Here is the output I get from

Code
    cat /proc/mdstat
    blkid
    fdisk -l

Code
    cat /proc/mdstat
    Personalities : [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [raid10]
    md127 : active raid5 sda[0] sdd[3] sdc[2] sdb[1]
          11721060352 blocks super 1.2 level 5, 512k chunk, algorithm 2 [5/4] [UUUU_]

unused devices: <none>

Code
    blkid
    /dev/sda: UUID="13f3cbc5-0e27-dd37-5c51-e15ab8f9fd91" LABEL="openmediavault:NAS" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
    /dev/sdb: UUID="13f3cbc5-0e27-dd37-5c51-e15ab8f9fd91" LABEL="openmediavault:NAS" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
    /dev/sdc: UUID="13f3cbc5-0e27-dd37-5c51-e15ab8f9fd91" LABEL="openmediavault:NAS" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
    /dev/md127: LABEL="NAS" UUID="1c2f57d4-84dd-4678-a9e3-16f73907e086" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/sdd: UUID="13f3cbc5-0e27-dd37-5c51-e15ab8f9fd91" LABEL="openmediavault:NAS" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
    /dev/sdf1: UUID="45c52c82-b067-4265-97fa-9f064193bf89" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/sdf5: UUID="d887de63-f432-4284-9c49-27b86e5fbea4" TYPE="swap"
    /dev/sde: UUID="13f3cbc5-0e27-dd37-5c51-e15ab8f9fd91" LABEL="openmediavault:NAS" TYPE="linux_raid_member"

Hey guys!

I got ncftp working so far but now there is another huge problem. When downloading multiple large files my ftp control connection times out after a while and because of that the transfer of the next file doesn't start at all until I manually resume it. I did some research on this and the problem seems to be with nat firewall of my router and the fact that ncftp doesn't use 'NOOP' commands to keep the control connection alive.

Do you guys have any idea how to solve this?

Thank you. Sounds perfect!

Tom:
    I have full access to my omv box. But I only have ftp access to my remote server.

Sorry, I was out of town for a couple of days. Thank you for all the replies :)

But as I pointed out earlier I only have FTP access to the server. So any alternatives might be a nice suggestion, but it just doesn't work for me.

@tekkbebe:
    Thanks again, but as I said earlier, you can't download complete folders + subfolders with just one command with the normal ftp command line client, atleast to my knowledge. That's why it's not really a solution for me. Is there anything else I can do?

Sorry, I'm not sure I get what you are saying. Just to be sure we are on the same page. Here's my situation again:

What I want is this: Transfer files via ftp from my remote server directly to my omv box. Without my windows machine having to be on during the transfer. So essentially: Server ---> omv box

What I have is this: Transfer files via ftp from my remote server to my omv box by using my windows machine running filezilla client. I mapped network drives from my omv box to do this. So essentially: Server ---> windows machine ---> omv box

I wanna eliminate the "middleman" being the windows machine in this scenario. It's worth noting that I can't install any additional software on the remote server. The only thing I have is ftp access.

Sorry to bother you so much with this, but I'm new to linux. Does anyone have a good solution for this and probably point me in the right direction as to where to get started?

For some reason ftp wasn't installed on my omv box. I installed it and it works so far. the only gripe I have with it that I can't download whole folders, but files only. That doesn't really cut it for me then.

What option would be best for me? I need to access my omv box remotely (so I can't connect a screen) and my windows machine only needs to initiate the transfer from the remote server to my omv box. If it needs to run while the files are transferring that doesn't really help me unfortunately :(

What should I do?

Thanks for moving it :)

I'm trying to run it over putty logged in as root. But I'm open to anything that doesn't require my normal pc do be on while transferring files. Right now I'm my windows machine with filezilla to download files from my remote server to my nas. But that is kinda annoying.

What would be the easier solution? What's the difference between running it from the system itself and from putty?

Hello.

I'm also trying to find a solution to transfer files from a remote server directly to my omv box. I don't necessarily need a gui. I installed Filezilla but when I try to run it this pops up: "Error: Unable to initialize gtk, is DISPLAY set properly?"

Any ideas?

Hello there!

First off, thank you for taking the time to write up all of this. I'm new to OMV and I have a few questions:

1. What do all the different options after "mdadm --create /dev/md0" mean? For example, what does "-e 1.2" mean? What does "-l 5" do?
    I'm guessing "-n 4" is the number drives in the raid and -c 128k is obviously the chunk size.

2. If I create the raid with the OMV webgui, can I still use the tweaks for stride and stripe-width?

3. I tried to tune my filesystem by editing fstab. After I did OMV didn't boot anymore. I guess I did something wrong. Could you post your fstab so I know what it should look like?