Beiträge von rudis

Hi,

Have some question...

I have a Intel NUC DE3815TYKHE with 4GB eMMC. From what I understand one should not write to much to it. That should include the installation process is my though. I have tried to get a clear view of all the steps but it is hard. The installation documentation says nothing in detail.

The process look in basic to be:
    - Install to an SD-Card (why a SD-card, why not a USB memory, or a simple disk?)
    - Boot up the nas/OMV, make some changes like adding USB-plugin for less writing..
    - Use some boot-program to load the image... from the USB/SD-Card to eMMC-memory, that is onbord.

Question, is there any more details on this?
    - Can I remove the the swap-partion with this process? How? Using Noswap?
    - Since I'm new on Linux, but I've read some parts about /var/logs (or what was it?) is that a problem, that solved by the USB-plugin? Or how is the logs handled. Is there a way to handle the logs differently?

Sorry for all the questions. :) And thanks for all the support in. :)

Hmm, I did the exact solution. Now I have:
    /dev/sda1 12GB
    /dev/sda2 1791MB
    /dev/sda5 1791MB Swap
    /dev/sda3 ..the rest..

But now I can't boot. I get the following error message on boot. The FAQ in Gparted does not help me.. and not google ether... please help :) [SOLVED see below picture]

[SOLVED]:
    - Reboot.

- When the (initramfs) pops up, run "fsck /dev/sda1 -y" and it works like a charm. :)

Yea, i think the swap-partition needs to be on an extended partition. If you follow the instructions that is what you get..

ODROID hc1 or hc2

more versatile but not as potentially fast I/O wise:
    ODROID XU4 with USB3 HD with its own power supply

I have a hc1 and XU4 (as backup) running here.

Cool, how is the with performance? Done any test?

Easy to build, any good enclosered that includes avery thing as 'one' unit... externa USB feels a bit off though. :)

I am trying to make a list of one disk NAS solution / hardware. Some include the use of Gparted, to edit the drive for a 'true' one drive NAS, / "Howto Store data on the boot disk" some a USB-memory as boot "disk".
    - Price range should be below 100 USD /100 Euro, not including disk, preferably inluded the memory but not a must.
    - Suitable for a 2.5" HDD
    - 1-3 user enviroment, no hard usage, but with some performance when you use it.. :)
    - Used/old hardware is okay.
    - USB-disk as backup..
    - Small, and low power usage.

We have the "Thin Client" builds:
    - HP T5740 "My Single Drive NAS Project" — [CPU from 2009'Q1] Performance?

We have the NUC builds:
    - Intel DE3815TYKHE "Intel Next Unit of Storage (DE3815TYKHE NUC kit)" — [CPU from 2013'Q4] Performance?

We have the "ARM/Raspary Pi and similure development boards builds":
    - ODROID-MC1 "ODROID HC1 Mini Review" — [Samsung Exynos5422 Cortex-A15 2Ghz and Cortex-A7 Octa core CPUs]
    - ODROID-MC2 — [ ] ~$55 Performance!
    ?
    (The problem I've located so far is the enclosure and the board layout is not suitable for a integrated solution that competes with mayor players.. like Seagate etc.)

What more?
    Which solution have I missed?
    Performance?

I had considered that but I feel that reliable usb drives are not so easy to come by these days.

I have noticed the load is much lower using the eMMC/flash memory as opposed to a good USB/flash memory. Still spikes somewhat, I suspect now this is just because the processor is so underpowered.

But even rsyncing a local backup, streaming a video and uploading media via nfs simultaneously doesn't cause any instability. That group of tasks generated a 2.8 load at one point this morning.

If i remember correctly the "war" of firewire vs USB, one of the benefits for FW was that it has more power in te controller, where the USB needed more CPU power. And the later was cheaper but took more CPU power and increased the need of upgrading (very neat feature if you are a CPU vendor).
    Could the CPU spikes be that using USB uses CPU power more than using the eMMC/flash memory...?

Would you still recommend it as a simple one drive NAS OMV ? Any performance text?

How did it go, was it easy to swap to the eMMC storage for the OS (OMV)?

HI,

I'm new to OMV, and the questions goes for both OMV 3 and 4. If it isn't supported in 4 yet, I could use 3.

I don't need RAID, I dont need the speed nor the data security. The NAS server is just a file cache for "large files" :D . If i loose some of the files, because of disk failure that is not a big problem. So for all the disk I put in the system, I like them to be added to one "domain" of for storing files. When the file is "uploaded" to the NAS, I need to be able to added it to a directory. And preferably all files in that directory should end up on the same disk. But witch disk, is just distributed among the disk, is handled by the system. Does such "raid" or disk system exist?

(If I would add data backup/security i rather have two system that backup each other, and syncing data between the NAS-servers.)

Hi,

A newbie here.. some simple questions iv'e tried to find out, with limit google success.

Target hardware:
    I thinking of using Intel NUC DE3815TYKHE for a smal NAS. Adding a 2.5" HDD or SSD and 4GB of ram, and using the onboard 4GB "disk" for OS..
    (I hope to be able to "rackmount" the Intel NUC somehow.. any suggestions on the rackmount solution for that NUC is welcome but outside topic. )

The purpose is replacing the "NAS" that is included in Shibby Tomato router firmware. So very simple usage, performance, demands, except for dataloss. If it fails during a write is okay, but "cant have" loss of old data. Though one always like performance when I use it ^^ .

Questions:
    - Does OMV support storage levels like SSD as primary storage and USB as "cold" storage? Easy?
    - Does OMV support USB-backup easily, or can I use two units as master/slave?

Any other comments is welcome :)