Beiträge von acseadp

Hi,
    Does anybody know why I can't see my drive which is attached to my Pi OMV server in any of the various dropdown boxes, in the shared folders for example ?

The thing is, It's showing that its mounted, but just does not show on any dropdowns, this obviously stops me from picking it to be the reciever/server/backup drive when doing a rsync for example.

However, my media "remote drive" is mounted and I can see and choose that in my dropdowns..

Any help (as I'm a beginner) would be very very much appreciated.

Thanks
    ps In the File System, the problomatic drive is showing as an ntfs drive

Hi cabrio_leo

Thanks for the reply.
    I think I understood what you have said..In laymans terms, I have just done this and,
    I have gone to my rsync job, and opened my job by hitting edit.
    I looked down the list of functions as the window for that is very small and saw a toggle that more or less said what you have here and, for the file I nominated to be deleted, its gone DUHHHH.. Sorry I should have looked but my excuse is as a beginner because finding my way through all this stuff is a long learning curve, but I'm SLOWLY getting this with thanks from guys like you, so thanks its appreciated. Job sorted !!

Hi all,

Does anybody know why my OMV does not realise when I have deleted stuff off the drive which I am backing up onto my OMV server ?

In this case, I just wanted to see if after I did my first big install (and got it working) OMV would find any new flac albums added onto the drive I want to back up, and then replicate them on OMV. It did, so far so good :)

Then I deleted one of my flac albums on my hard drive and ran rsync and to my suprise it did'nt delete this in OMV, its still there.

I'm sure there's a simple answer or a toggle I need to change, but I have looked around the forum and can't see this issue anywhere.

Hope there is a simple fix that someone might be able to help with...

Thanks in advance...

Hi Guys

I've just edit this thread , to show people what I have done to make this work as I have just had a breakthrough.

I just could not work out how to out the building blocks together and in which order to make the OMV back up another HD on my LAN.

I have now got things kinda working, and I think there is some way to go, but what I would like is to understand how the remotemount, SMA/CIFS, USER, files system and shared folders work with each other.

I'm doing things but half the time I'm not sure if what I'm doing is right as I'm still learning and was hoping someone would enlighten me

My current understanding is you have to go through this chain of events to be able set off a job in rsync to make backup from another local drive to the new OMV server.

I really would like to know if this is right, or is there another easier way. And as as yet, I'm not sure this will copy dirrectories, it copies files ok. So am I doing something wrong ?
    Any comments would be very much appreciated.

1. you need to first mount the drives, so check on on your "Physical Drives" its/they are there
    2. Then go to "File Systems" and make sure it's mounted
    3. Then go to SMB/CIFS to enable workgroup
    4. Then go to User and add a user
    5. Then go Shared Folders and add the name of the/a new folder and where it should go/sit then select the path where it should be coiped from
    6. Then go to SMB/CIFS and look for the shared folder you have just created in 5
    7. Go to User, then give the new user read write permission
    8. From there go to rsync and look for the folder name you created in 5 and set up your rsync.

One thing I have found it is that I can't delete my files on OMV using this method and I don't know why. I've asked the question in another thread. But any feedback on these steps, to help me understand if I'm doing the right thing would really be appreciated. Thanks

Hi flmaxey
    That would be tremendous as I'm tredding in glue at the mo. And ok about trawling the forum, no probs, (I did have a look and people used some tech phrases that I was'nt up to speed with, meaning their answer , I did'nt grasp it.
    And yes, same email as acseadp, that would be great. Thanks
    Also, It or me, bombed the HD too. So I have had to rip my spare max2play media player to bits to try and get this up and running again. But I'm not done yet ! :)
    And FYI, I've just installed a new image on an new pi and same thing, I can see remotemount plug in, but it won't install. Anyhow I'll scan the forum as per your advice as I'm sure someone must have experiance this. Thing is I know it works and worked well. Agghh :S

UPDATE

Just tried this which I picked up off the web.....

sudo dpkg --configure -a
    then
    sudo apt-get install -f
    then
    sudo dpkg --configure -a

and it worked,, I can now see the remote mount app. Now all I have to do is to get the rest of it to work ?(

And I might wait for your email before I progess this installation any further as it might come in handy !

Hi flmaxey

Sadly no, I have ordered one but its not arrived yet. I did take an image of it, well when I'm sure it's a full one. So when I get the new card, I might be in luck.

Thing is the sd were were working on was a 16gb, which I don't have, but I've found a spare 8gb, hence why I thought I would have a go as I don't think I can put an image of an SD thats not the same capacity as the original.
    I'm gutted because you spent all that time with me and then I have a go and even more blips.

Now the remote mount has appeared and its telling me to manually run dpkg--configure -a to correct the problem.
    I just don't get it as it worked before ?

Hi having spent several days trying to set up my OMV, flmaxey talked me through it and got it working.
    So with that I wanted to try doing it on my own.
    I followed his instructions, which are documented on the forum plus I've looked at other sites and I seem to be doing the right thing but there is no way I can mount my drives the plugin will not load up.

I've reflashed the card (several times) and still no joy.

Here's hoping. thanks

sorted, shutdown both omv and my PC, restarted them, now its there. I had problems last time, there was a delay in it apperaring. Maybe there's a glitch with it. might be worth noting if it happens to others.

Sorry to report its gone again and I've tried turning off the OMV and my pc.

Really good bit of advice, there and yes I'll take that and use it, infact got the new 16g card yesterday and can't wait to get started.

Hopefully with all you've helped me with, this one will be a breeze, really appreciate it. And I'll look forward ( whenever you manage to produce it) the manual.

Not only that I guess it will become an invaluable source of information for any new beginner like me.
    Cheers!

Hi
    Thanks again..
    Funnily I HAVE JUST burned a new card, rebooted...
    Set the advanced power management to 255 disabled
    Auto acoustic managamet to Disable and spindown to 30.
    Schedule a rsync job and its now copying files, once it stops I'll see what happens. If there's no change I'll take your advice.
    Thing is its copied my files before, but this time it is so slow, couold this be anything to do with this settings I wonder ?
    But thanks again and next time I need a question I'll post one on the forum. Tell you what it would be a great help for us beginners once you have had time to produce that set of instructions. Good luck with that and thanks again, youve been really helpful

Hi flmaxey
    for some reason its not shutting down after trying the several commands in there. Is there anything that could be stopping it.

To test it, I did'nt log off, just did'nt touch it, hoping it would shut down from there automatically.
    Is there something else I need to do like reboot it, then come out ? (which I may have done once)

And I did save my settings each time. I'm going to try it again today and if I can get it to work I'll post what I did here.

Hi flmaxey

Sorry not quite understaning the terminology...
    The spindown time, which you set at 30mins...
    I'm not clear what its does/means

Well I think spindown time is the time from ending the schdulede task to the disk parking (becoming stationary).

Does this also apply when you go into OMV, ie if you wanted to adjust the settings, when you logged off, would the 30min standby time kick-in from then?

Sorry flmaxey, just trying to work out what should happen once this has been set up so I know what to look for and not think its a fault.

There's a lot to take in :0), thanks again.

Hi flmaxey,

Sorry did'nt see your last posting till now.

Here is the website
    https://www.max2play.com/en/

Its one hell of a bit of kit.

I have a Max2play in my car set up as an accesspoint/player (AP) and this is hooked into my car stereo. With this, and with the aid of LMS (logic media server app, or squeezer app on my LOVELY android phone (after 6 years with apple, android is such a refreshing change), I can access my full music libaray.

I have also put all the family photos on it, videos (films) etc. So when we are out touring in our caravan, the passenger can bore themselves stupid looking at the photos or films on their tablet (with headphones connected to the tablet) while I'm listening to the music while getting to the destination. Once there, I use another in the caravan.

The players , these are raspberry pi's with Max2play (M2P) on them which are pluged into any amp that has as aux in. , I have one in the kitchen, there's also another plugged into a DAC, then to my amp in the lounge, there's another in the remote garage and one in the conservtory and a mobile one in the bedroom. They are all connected over wifi. Except the one in the garage, this is done via a power plug from the house router, into the garage and then into a wireless repeater. And, I can have the same music coming out of them all, or different music/tracks/albums out of different ones. In addition, I have a bridcam, made out of a raspberry pi to watch bluetits nesting in the the garden, there's one there now roosting for the night. These Pi's are ace !

I need the repeater because I also have multipul wireless mains sockets around the place which I need to control, these are the standard 433Mhgz power sockets, which have a remote, standard stuff. BUT, Sonoff have a divice called a Sonoff bridge. This copies the signal from the handset and then emulates the 433 transmitters signal. This means you can set timers up, or integrate with ITTT and have things trigger with loads of different scenes. I have one that works my lights in the garden if I enter a particular GPS coodenate when I'm coming home at night (it tracks you so it knows if you are coming or going). You can do other things too. You control the bridge over your wifi, phone app of course.

And with the low current, you can leave them on constantly....Plus, on M2P The HARD DRIVE does not kick in until "requested", ie when you're accessing it.

If you need any further info, let me know.

One final question from me. Talking about hard drives

I found the SMART area in the OMV menu's...
    At the moment its set to NEVER.
    If I make this STANDBY, will the drive only boot up when its been accessed ?
    Be good if it does.

Hi flmaxey,

You have been a GREAT help because without your help I would maybe struggle on for another day or so, but then maybe just drawn a line under things.

As for the instructions above, cool, thanks, with this could I flash another SD card and use it in another Pi, maybe just go in there and alter the mounts, passwords, etc as I'm not sure if its doable, but I just thought I would ask.

I have loads of other questions, but I'll trawl the forum for the answers, however there are a couple that will help me now, operationally that you might be able to help with.

1. When I programme a job to start at a specific time, can I also start more jobs at the same time. I'm just unsure of how OMV manages the copying, does it mulitplex jobs or deals with them in series or parellel ?

2. At the moment my disk is spinning constantly, is this normal or should it only kick in when being accessed ?

3. You mentioned converting this to a NAS. So, that means OMV then is not a NAS.
    I know what a NAS is and OMV seems to be able to do what my understaning is of a NAS is (and a bit more) :) . So whats the differance ?
    And its ok, I'm NOT going down that road (yet ;) )

And thanks again for your help. Its really appreciated.

Hi flmaxey,

Thanks again for your detailed answers, they are a big help or will be.

Interesting about the advice on backups, glad you cleared that one

Well, I've learned a lot and it all got sorted in the end, which I'm delighted about thanks to you.

All I need to do is go and set it up properly, so that's what I'll do now.

Much appreciated and good luck for the future.

Hi flmaxey,

You have been a GREAT help because without your help I would maybe struggle on for another day or so, but then maybe just drawn a line under things.

As for the instructions above, cool, thanks, with this could I flash another SD card and use it in another Pi, maybe just go in there and alter the mounts, passwords, etc as I'm not sure if its doable, but I just thought I would ask.

I have loads of other questions, but I'll trawl the forum for the answers, however there are a couple that will help me now, operationally that you might be able to help with.

1. When I programme a job to start at a specific time, can I also start more jobs at the same time. I'm just unsure of how OMV manages the copying, does it mulitplex jobs or deals with them in series or parellel ?

2. At the moment my disk is spinning constantly, is this normal or should it only kick in when being accessed ?

3. You mentioned converting this to a NAS. So, that means OMV then is not a NAS.
    I know what a NAS is and OMV seems to be able to do what my understaning is of a NAS is (and a bit more) :) . So whats the differance ?
    And its ok, I'm NOT going down that road (yet ;) )

And thanks again for your help. Its really appreciated.