Beiträge von bobmct

OK - after attempting numerous remedies I finally decided to reinstall OMV. I booted from a CD containing the OMV.iso and went through the install again. It allowed me to reinstall on my sda drive and ignore my two data drives. Once installed I was able to recreate the configuration and OMV recognized my populated data drives and kept them. Voila~ Works like a champ now.

Oh, and another thing should someone remember - I was tired of struggling with permissions and decided to enable NFS for *nix system and SMB/CIFS for Windoze. Now OMV is functioning as I intended. Hopefully this will help someone.

Ideas how to remedy? It just started today.

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; df -PT '/srv/9dd1717e-67be-4123-9e51-40e386a6dbe5' 2>&1' with exit code '1': df: /srv/9dd1717e-67be-4123-9e51-40e386a6dbe5: Transport endpoint is not connected

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; df -PT '/srv/9dd1717e-67be-4123-9e51-40e386a6dbe5' 2>&1' with exit code '1': df: /srv/9dd1717e-67be-4123-9e51-40e386a6dbe5: Transport endpoint is not connected

Thanks and I've used SMB/CIFS for most of its lifetime. However I could not get reliable connections with proper permissions with SMB/CIFS and most respondents suggested I stick to NFS. So that's where I am. All my NFS links work well. But NOT Windoze. Just FYI :(

Sorry if this has been discussed. I've been searching these forums and find bits and pieces but not a thorough explanation. here's my dilemma:

Created a new OMV NAS. Defined services of SSH and NFS. I used unionfs to join two disks. Defined the unionfs as my share. This share is also listed in the NFS share section.

My Linux, Mac and IOS systems see it and connect perfectly. Windows 10 doesn't even see it. I do have the nfs-client and administrative tools installed and rebooted.

When I do define the share I can see the entry in the /etc/exports file.

I'm kind of stumped.

Can anyone please provide a simple explanation and/or example of the steps to a successful connection?

Thanks for any help. :?::?::?:

SOLVED!!! I want to thank all who provide some insight and direction with this problem. I was too focused on using CIFS because that's what my old NAS only supported and as a result I ran into many, many ownership and access permissions. As some suggested and because I found out now Windoze now supports NFS version 4+ natively, I replaced all usage of CIFS with NFS and guess what? It works like a champ. I am ONE happy camper.

So thanks again all and I'm anticipating many years of using OMV.

Bob:thumbup::thumbup:

:?:I've recently just built a server and loaded OMV 6.6 on it. Pretty slick. I've also copied my entire old NAS content to the OMV which seemed to go quite well. The issue I have is as follows:

All the files on the OMV have ownership as root:users and assigned permissions as 0644.

I've read as many guides and articles as I could find on the subject for OMV and my config either matches what's recommended -OR- it doesn't work/change anything.

On the OMV I have three hdd's; 1)150GB as the system drive and 2)5000GB defined in a unionfs. I've set my permissions for the shared drive and tried setting the ACL accordingly but as of now the ACL has been removed to try this.

My main desktop client is running LinuxMint 20.1 and I have a mount entry in my fstab to mount the OMV. I can see the mounted device and actually access it. That's were I see the ownership as all root and while I can usually open anything, writing is denied of course. I also have several Windoze based devices that require access as well but that's perhaps a different issue.

As I see it I must first change all file ownership to something other than root and any method that I tried looks like its running but when done nothing is changed.

I also can gain ssh access to the OMV as root if needed (and yes, I've tried using that approach to no avail).

Now, I just want to mention that I'm no newbie as I'm a retired enterprise Unix/Linux developer and sysadmin and a retired IT instructor and certified LPIC qualified. The only reason I mention these is to establish that this is NOT my first rodeo so to speak. And I am coming from my own Linux based NAS to the OMV.

For starters (newbies and oldies both) perhaps it would be beneficial to have a guide that describes how to define/establish a fairy open access policy to allow immediate access and then allow the admin to tighten things up over time. And this definitely would benefit anyone with a small personal Intranet and even SMB's. Just sayin'

So, I hope I'm not overstepping but can some experienced OMV user(s) please advise as to how one (and I'm sure others as well) can modify/establish access to the OMV to allow things to move forward?

Any pointers, ideas, suggestions, documents anyone can provide wild be greatly appreciated.

And, by the way, having installed, implemented, administered and used numerous "brand name commercial" NASes, I have got to say that I really appreciate the approach and completeness of the OMV product really is. Honestly, if my issue with access can be overcome, OMV will be my first recommendation to anyone else, private or commercial, looking for a NAS solution.

Thanks

:thumbup:

I just wanted to thank those of you who responded and got me going in the correct direction. With your pointers, ideas and links I was able to familiarize myself sufficiently enough to complete my build of a new NAS using OMV. I'm currently in the process of transferring all the data from my old NAS to the new OMV one.

If this type of support is indicative of the attention given to this product then I look forward to enjoying a long productive experience with it.

Thanks again. :thumbup:

Sorry if this has been covered by a reasonable effort searching has not turned up anything.

I just build an OMV server today with three hdds. a 150GB for the OS and 2 500GB for data. My original plan was to merge the 2 data drives into an LV to yield a larger storage area.

I tried downloading openmediavault-lvm2 5.0.2-1 and it fails with the error

Err:1 http://packages.openmediavault.org/public usul/main amd64 openmediavault-lvm2 all 5.0.2-1

Could not resolve 'packages.openmediavault.org

Internal Eror, ordering was unable to handle the media swap

I have no real idea what this is referring to so I thought I would ask here.

I'll keep looking but if anyone has and ideas/suggestion please advise?

Thanks

:?: I'm trying to install and implement this product for a simple NAS. I've done the install and configured most of what I can figure out and I'm now at the point
    of creating some shares. The problem I'm having is that there are NO entries shown in the device drop down.
    At this point the system only has ONE drive. While there are similar questions I've found I've really not found a successful answer.
    I'm hoping that others have experienced this and resolved it so please, any advice/suggestions
    greatly appreciated.

Thanks ?(