Beiträge von Rizos39

geaves, thank you so much for answering.
    Manufacturers are dividing the disks between the desktop and the RAID, somewhat arbitrarily in my opinion.

But I'm sorry I don't agree with what you say. This is not about to use desktop disks vs RAID disks, but that RAID disks must behave as desktop disks if errors appear.

Of course you have to make backups (and better if they are outside), it is the only way to recover from a physical theft of the equipment, a loss by fire or any other accident or natural disaster ... But leaving this aside, it is not the same to have to restore a full backup, say 10 TB or even 100 TB (in addition to the time lost understanding what is going on and trying to manually mount the RAID), than simply replace a disk or even not having to do anything at all because the computer recovers itself.

And that's what it's all about, setting Smart SCTERC timeout correctly to take advantage of this functionality to our advantage.

The point to emphasize here is that the disks of a RAID, when they are working normally, must have a low timeout, because the data are redundant. But if one of the disks fail (can not read a sector or the RAID is already degraded) it must make more effort (and therefore it requires more time) in reading the data, and in that situation RAID disks must behave like desktop disks, that is to have larger timeouts.

It is precisely for the previous paragraph that I am asking for help in this forum. Is there any way to do this in OMV?

I am surprised that something that seems obvious to me has not been included in the main linux development. For example in smartmontools.

Again thank you very much geaves for replying and to everyone else for reading this, I hope someone can shed some light on the matter.

Hellooooo :):) !!
    Is somebody there ?

I'm learning a lot from this forum.. RAID, redundancy, availability, backups. ..

.. RAID is not a backup (I already knew this ) , RAID is not about "redundancy", it's about "availability" ..

It's amazing that there are many recent entries about the security of our data .. how to go from RAID5 to RAID6 ? , btrfs, zfs, mergerfs / overlayfs / unionfs or using snapraid, etc.

.. and nobody is interested in how to configure the timeout of disks to be in a good situation when one fails, because although nobody wants it, our disks are physical devices and will end up failing. :(

I think it's a topic of interest to everyone. Has anyone thought about this? ... I don't find anything about it in the forum or it's something so well known that it's not even mentioned anymore.

Am I missing something?

Or.. am I not asking the right question? :):)

This is weird, from pictures i visualize:

sda st2000lm 2TB not mounted so far.
    sdb Your booting device with 108 GiB in sdb1. It is not shown in HDD list, why ?
    sdc wd 4TB unit 1 for your mirror.
    sdd wd 4TB unit 2 for your mirror.

Filesystems:
    /dev/md0p2 ext4, it seems your mirror, but without size information !!
    /dev/sdb1 ext4, Your booting device.

RAID:
    This is really extrange. I assume your want a RAID (mirror) of the full disk, so you don't need to partition it before. I think here there should be only the entry md0.

I would wait for others opinion, I'm new with OMV, but it seem like there were some errors and it is misconfigured.
    I would delete RAID entries and recreate the mirror from scratch. :)

This is not RAID specific, but they usually go together

I came across the articles below about RAID, linux timeouts and drive timeouts setting with SMART:

Udev rules and helper scripts for setting safe disk scterc and drive controller timeout values for mdraid arrays
    https://github.com/jonathanunderwood/mdraid-safe-timeouts

Linux Software RAID and drive timeouts
    http://strugglers.net/~andy/bl…-raid-and-drive-timeouts/

And this one that looks older..
    Many (long) HDD default timeouts cause data loss or corruption (silent controller resets)
    https://www.smartmontools.org/ticket/658

I am especially concerned that this will fail when you trying to recover the system from an error, for example when resynchronizing after replacing a disk from a RAID.

Is there anything similar in OMV ?
    Is there a way to do this or something similar ?
    I have to admit that I don't understand how to do what they propose and it seems to me that you also have to adapt the timeout of drives other than RAID1-6 so that the kernel timeout is higher than SMART timeout.

Any experience with this or any suggestion of how to do it ?

The general idea, as I would:

- The kernel has a timeout of 30 seconds for each disk individually.

- The SMART timeouts (STCERC) must be put on each restart.

- On disks where all the information is redunded, put a low timeout on SMART. Data can be rebuild from others sources. I'm not sure what value to put.

- If part of the information is not redunded, put a high timeout in SMART. Data can not be rebuild from others sources. I'm not sure what value to put.

- If I do not know then to put the value in SMART, or it gives error when putting it, to change the timeout of the kernel to 180 seconds for that disk.

Also it would be very interesting to use a higher value if an array is in degraded mode because their data is no longer redunded.

Thanks in advance.

I answer to myself, in the hope it is helpfull for others :)

The problem is that the destination of the symbolic link is inside of

root@omv4vm:~# ls -lad /root
    drwx------ 5 root root 4096 Aug 13 20:46 /root
    root@omv4vm:~#

ARgg ........ why that doesnt say no privileges ? instead it does not appear at all !!!!!!!!!!!

Additional info

I checked the /etc/samba/smb.conf and there are these change:

root@omv4vm:~# diff smb-before.txt smb-after.txt
    1c1
    < root@omv4vm:~# cat /etc/samba/smb.conf > smb-before.txt
    ---
    > root@omv4vm:~# cat /etc/samba/smb.conf > smb-after.txt
    26,27c26,27
    < unix extensions = yes
    < wide links = no
    ---
    > unix extensions = no
    > wide links = yes

Does this still work with omv 4.1.6 .. I made the changes , omv-mkconf ..and systemctl reload smbd.service

but still not visible from windows 7 .

I tried also to put these options it web SMB/CIFS configuration .. and it doesn't work !!

SMB/CIFS extra options:
    unix extensions = no

Share extra options:
    follow symlinks = yeswide links = yes

Something is not working as expected, but what ?

Thanks, i didn't found it at first because it is still in testing repo.

I will give a try when I have omv running, I like the idea of making a backup without shutting down and, according to its web page, it supports extended attributes :) !!

Ah !!! and fsarchiver is a tool included in SystemRescueCd .. soo very interesting indeep to restore in case OS Disk faillure !!

I share my findings in the hope that it helps others:

1 - NFS v3 and NFS v4 do not support extended attributes.

NFS v3 and NFS v4 do not supportes Extended Attributes at stackoverflow.com
    and proposed standard (RFC 8276) about this.

2 - NFS supports access privileges (ACL).

3 - There are only 3 files in MVNO that have extended privileges or ACLs. In shared folders if there is more content with ACL.

--

Options for backup:

1 - Use cronezilla on NFS. It works with NFS v3 (in my case it does not recognize NFS v4), it is fast and its backups take up little space, they are compressed.

2 - Use REAR (relax-and-recover.org), is pending.

3 - Removing the attributes of the 3 files before making the backup and putting them after and when making the restore... is cumbersome.

I'll go for option 1: Tried and tested backup and restore and they work perfectly :)

I managed to remove the shared item, i'm not absoluty sure what I did, i tried many things .. i think the goog one was Access Right Management : Shared folders : Reset Permission for the folder ...

I looked ok and i recreated the mount .. and after restart the issue appeared again ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG !!
    And it does not allow me to see file systems information tab !!

However the file system look ok and I can access it from shell to read and write to the remote share .. so I assume it is some kind of bad sync between OMV and actual configuration.

Any way to solve this .. It is annoying to have to rebuild the share each time the machine is restarted.

Right now the only remaining problem is how to remove the shared item, i was able to remove the NFS share from other points and I assume that recreating it will work.

My /etc/fstab look ok .. nothing extrange there !!

Shared Folder ' s Delete and ACL are disabled for it and Edit gives this error:

Bash
    Error #0:
    OMV\Config\DatabaseException: Failed to execute XPath query '//system/fstab/mntent[uuid='5e7c8c38-c233-4d55-9700-e486b458bac0']'. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/config/database.inc:78
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/sharemgmt.inc(231): OMV\Config\Database->get('conf.system.fil...', '5e7c8c38-c233-4...')
    #1 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceShareMgmt->get(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('get', Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(536): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('ShareMgmt', 'get', Array, Array, 1)
    #5 {main}

I've got this message continuosly (several windows overlaped) for a NFS share after restoring a clonezilla image to the same virtual a machine ..

Removing the remote mount and recreating the mount point does not resolve the issue, it make it even worse. After deleting the the mount point the file system tab is empty, i get a window with the above message directly and an emtpy window.
    Now I have a share not attached to a devide (n/a) that I don't know how to remove or rename !! It is from the NFS remote mounted

Hi there,

I'm new to OMV and this is my first post :) .

I'm trying to set OMV up as a home server in a way that OMV to be a CIFS server and also the destination of home backups (4 machines with windows of my family) using Urbackup, and at the same time that OMV do backup itself to another server (of name lacie-5big-n2) also at home network with NFS (this has also CIFS, FTP, ..).

I want to say to all of you that I love OMV's first impression, its web interface is very comfortable once you get used to the idea of "its concepts", the plugins are great and I feel very nice with shellinabox ... thank you very much for all this software to all of you.

Right now I have OMV (last version 4.1.5-1 and up-to-date) on a Virtual Box host until I make sure it works with out problems, then I will move or reintall it on a physical machine.

I have read a lot in the forum about how to back up OMV and I find it too confusing, complicated and not very mature, I'm going to try anyway. I'm very sensitive to the backup issue because I've had bad experiences before. :(

After all that I make the decissión to backup :

1 - For the system stuff, to shutdown the server to backup it from time to time with clonezilla to a nfs share in my backup-server.

2 - Also for the system stuff, to backup if before any update with System : Backup plugin, as this does not need to shutdown the server.

3 - To backup data content on my backup-server using rsnapshot and in the future to the cloud with rclone or duplicati.

---
    So far:

Point 1 went Ok, although I haven't restored it yet.

When I do (System : Backup) on the NFS share, I receive this error:

NFS is mounted with the Storage : Remote Mount plugin and also shared.

I tried to mount it with NFS v4 and NFS v3 without any changes, the server supports both versions. However, clonezilla only works well with NFS v3:

Bash
    root@omv4vm:~# rpcinfo -p lacie-5big-n2 | grep nfs
    100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs
    100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs
    100003 4 tcp 2049 nfs
    100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
    100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
    100003 4 udp 2049 nfs

More info my /etc/fstab:

I found out that the command generating the error is:

rsync -aAXvxx /bin /boot /dev /etc /export /home /initrd.img /initrd.img.old /lib /lib64 /lost+found /media /mnt /opt /proc /root /run /sbin /sharedfolders /srv /sys /tmp /usr /var /vmlinuz /vmlinuz.old /srv/c6bc1cda-7d0b-4763-9ec6-e06adbeaec2e/de-omv4vm/omvbackup/ --delete --exclude=/dev --exclude=/proc --exclude=/sys --exclude=/tmp --exclude=/run --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/media --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/export --exclude=/home/ftp --exclude=/srv

and the related option is: -X, --xattrs preserve extended attributes

Backup does not finish right because theses files

grub.dd
    grub_parts.dd
    packages
    uuids

are not in destination direstory. I made a local try to (srv/dev-disk-by-label-Backup) before.

The error is strange as it have already copied arround 90.000 files !!

Retrying the backup, it copies some files (or at least report directories), but it gives the error again in the same 3 files:

Code
    /usr/bin/fping
    /usr/bin/fping6
    /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gstreamer1.0/gstreamer-1.0/gst-ptp-helper

And I can not find anything special about this files (i mean attributes). Lets see:

Why is this failing to copy attributes? I chose an NFS destination because it is a Linux protocol and the machines are also Linux. I intend to back up the data to this NFS server with rsnapshot as well, would it be better to use a CIFS? I don't think so because it doesn't support hard links, or at least I think so.

What are attributes used for ?

Any help or workarround is welcome !!