Beiträge von krispayne

growing the raid to 6 devices seems to be the trick to get rid of the extra spare:

mdadm --grow /dev/md0 --raid-devices=6

do you think that by changing something like this in the raid configuration that OMV will be able to see it in the GUI? Once this process is done (800 minutes estimated) should I recreate the mdadm.conf?

Thanks for your help so far, it's appreciated!

Something I noticed last night was that maybe it has to do with the UUID being different? (it was, now that I've done the omv-mkconf mdadm it's the correct UUID) I'm not too sure of myself when it comes to the underlying RAID stuff (that's why I used OMV :) )

I thought RAID6 was supposed to have 2 spares? My thought process is that it can lose 2 drives?

Yes I tried that as it was a troubleshooting step already in this thread. It still does not show in OMV, or mount.

Code
    root@omvserver:~# mdadm --readwrite /dev/md0
    root@omvserver:~# cat /proc/mdstat
    Personalities : [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid10]
    md0 : active raid6 sdh[3] sdf[1] sdg[2] sda[7](S) sde[5] sdb[6](S) sdi[4]
          5860150272 blocks super 1.2 level 6, 512k chunk, algorithm 2 [5/5] [UUUUU]
          bitmap: 0/15 pages [0KB], 65536KB chunk

unused devices: <none>
    root@omvserver:~#

I also ran the omv-mkconf mdadm command afterwards, as mentioned in the thread as well:

root@omvserver:/# omv-mkconf mdadmupdate-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.16.0-0.bpo.2-amd64W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/isci/isci_firmware.bin for module isciupdate-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.9.0-0.bpo.6-amd64W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/isci/isci_firmware.bin for module isciupdate-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.9.0-0.bpo.5-amd64W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/isci/isci_firmware.bin for module isciupdate-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-5-amd64W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/isci/isci_firmware.bin for module isciupdate-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-4-amd64W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/isci/isci_firmware.bin for module isciroot@omvserver:/# (can't put two code blocks in this post for some reason. the forum software fails with no error.)

Not sure if the isci errors are related, but I've not set anything up iscsi.

I'm having the same problem and have gone through the same troubleshooting steps and have come up empty handed as well:

cat /proc/mdstat
    Personalities : [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid10]
    md0 : active (auto-read-only) raid6 sdh[3] sdf[1] sdg[2] sda[7](S) sde[5] sdb[6](S) sdi[4]
    5860150272 blocks super 1.2 level 6, 512k chunk, algorithm 2 [5/5] [UUUUU]
    bitmap: 0/15 pages [0KB], 65536KB chunk

unused devices: <none>

I tried all the troubleshooting from above. I can also out put more of the commands from blkid etc, but my output is nearly identical to this.

I've got a backup of the raid contents, but naturally would rather not have to rebuild. Seems weird that this would be an issue.

Hopefully there's a fix on the short horizon :)