Beiträge von deletedme

@tkaiser
    Hi!
    I am considering to create a ARM based NAS with 3,5in HDDs. I'm generally still swaying if I need RAID or not. I guess I don't need it, as 100% uptime is not needed, and I need to create OffSite backups anyway, so in case of water damage/fire not everything is lost. RAID would give me security between new OffSite backups in case of single disk failure, but running 2x 3,5in HDDs also leads to higher power consumption, so not sure it is worth it.

I am swaying between the Helios 4, coming down to 220€ incl. shipping & taxes and the Odroid HC-2 for 85€ complete with shipping & taxes. I want something in a proper casing (which I don't want to DIY, I am really bad at that :D), so I think those 2 are my best choices. I obviously need to decide on my own if I want 1 or 4 drives. Are there any other good devices for my usecase? I would like to get around 100Mbytes/s e.g. on NFS.

Now to my question regarding ARM boards. How is their cryptography performance? I will have a LUKS encrypted HDD connected to the NAS. And will mostly use NFS and SSH (depending which device and usecase). I read that the Marvell chip supports hardware accelerated cryptography. Is this the case for the Odroid, too? Did you ever test cryptography performance?

Thank you!