Beiträge von raven66

got a problem with VM Console, since i got RDP enable only on local host 127.0.0.1, how to i change it?

see screenshot

Just delete 127.0.0.1 and leave that field blank.
    It should re-write proper address itself.

I've got another question. VM is running, I can connect via RDP with no problem, but when I start VM and some time passes (several minutes or so), when I'm getting back to phpVirtualBox tab, there's an error message like below. How can I get rid of it?

Hello!

I looking for a similar solutions. Did you find something on other topic/forum ?

Best regards,
    Silviu

Hi.
    I've sold my Zyxel about a year ago and I've built my custom made server with Intel i3 and 4 GB RAM.
    I totally recommend this! Now I have a powerful NAS with current OMV, which is far beyond better than regular NASes like Synology or similar.
    For example, I run virtual machine with Lubuntu directly on my NAS

I'm sorry, but I'm not English native.
    Do you mean "Not really, a VM makes sense" = VM is good solution for me?
    OR
    "Not really VM makes sense" = VM is not good in this case?

Also,
    Is this virtual OS behave the same way as bare metal OS?
    I mean, if I switch off my NAS and then switch it on again and restart
    my virtual Linux (or whatever), does it remember all the files,
    settings, etc. inside virtual OS?

So, is this good idea to make virtual machine in OMV, install Ubuntu in this VM and install my program inside Ubuntu inside VM inside OMV? ;)
    Or is there another bulletproof way to accomplish that?

That was exactly my question ;)
    But I'm a noob in VM topics.

Is this virtual OS behave the same way as bare metal OS?
    I mean, if I switch off my NAS and then switch it on again and restart my virtual Linux (or whatever), does it remember all the files, settings, etc. inside virtual OS?

Hi guys.
    First, I want to thank you for a great product and communicty. I successfully run my custom build NAS for over a year now, without any hassle.
    But until now, it serves me only as pure NAS.

Now, I want to run some program, with which I need to interact in graphical enviroment and this program need to be running 24/7.
    I've tried to run RemoteDesktop via plugin, and I've succeded - RDP connection works fine. I'm able to view my XFCE enviroment.
    Sadly, I'm unable to run my program in RDP session, because I get an error message:

Code
    X server cannot be accessed!
    Please check your DISPLAY variable and the permissions of your X server.

I am able to connect my physical machine to keyboard & monitor, and I discover, that this XFCE GUI works only in RDP session, not "physically" on the machine itself.
    Yup, silly me. I don't have extended knowledge about Linuxes, X-servers, RDP, VNC, VM and such.

After researching and skimming through this forum and some other websites, I've came accross a number of topics, that suggest clearly, that running GUI desktop enviroment "on top" of running OMV is a very bad idea and is generally adviced against it.
    Okay. So, I don't want to mess with my perfectly working OMV.

But I hope, that you can point me in the right direction, how to solve my problem.
    I don't want to buy another physical machine...

So, is this good idea to make virtual machine in OMV, install Ubuntu in this VM and install my program inside Ubuntu inside VM inside OMV? ;)
    Or is there another bulletproof way to accomplish that?

This is an excerpt from syslog:

Code
    Nov 21 13:50:16 OpenMediaVault systemd[1]: Starting Plex Media Server for Linux...
    Nov 21 13:50:16 OpenMediaVault sh[2953]: /bin/mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support’: Permission denied
    Nov 21 13:50:16 OpenMediaVault systemd[1]: plexmediaserver.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=1
    Nov 21 13:50:16 OpenMediaVault systemd[1]: Failed to start Plex Media Server for Linux.
    Nov 21 13:50:16 OpenMediaVault systemd[1]: plexmediaserver.service: Unit entered failed state.
    Nov 21 13:50:16 OpenMediaVault systemd[1]: plexmediaserver.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    Nov 21 13:50:21 OpenMediaVault systemd[1]: plexmediaserver.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
    Nov 21 13:50:21 OpenMediaVault systemd[1]: Stopped Plex Media Server for Linux.

It seems like some process is trying to create folder and subfolders inside /var/lib/plexmediaserver/ and cannot do it due to restrictions.

I have the same problem. A while ago, I had PlexMediaServer @ my OMV4. Then, I've deleted this plugin. Today, I was trying to reinstall PMS again.
    I've encountered this problem:

After refreshing OMV web-admin, this error code pops up:

Executed command systemctl status plexmediaserver.service gives this result:

One of the solution. Keep in mind, that this is "client" induced solution, not fully automatic, which is initialized by NAS itself.
    FreeFileSync (https://freefilesync.org/download.php) to create backup-pairs from desktop PC to OMV NAS (to shared folder).
    FolderSync (https://www.tacit.dk/foldersync/) for Android.

Basically, both solutions are somehow "rsync-alike".

You have to pair source folder with destination folder (it could be local, it could be remote via SFTP/FTP/SMB/cloud) and then select mode of backup: mirror, all-copy, 2way sync, etc.
    FreeFileSync let you create a batch file, which could be initiated by OS itself to run at specific time/repeat.

The second solution would be - but this is only my guess, as I didn't have time to "poke" it - Remote Mount on OMV, to mount shared folders from desktop PC into NAS and then run simple rsync scheduled jobs.

WebDAV is the easiest and quickest way for now to solve my problem.

Be aware, that WebDAV is using some strange char encoding by default - I don't know if you can change it, I've never use it extensively - so if you have some diactric (national) characters in filename(s), uploading/dl via WebDAV could mess your filenames.

It is also worth trying to learn new things. Especially when we have real reason and motivation. "You have a specific goal to achieve and you need it". This is the best opportunity to learn something new. imho ;)

Personally, I like to learn a new stuff and I'm always eager to find some new solution.
    That's why I had ditched my properly functioning NAS to get custom machine and install OMV.
    That's why I have converted my laptop to Linux.
    Six month ago, I just knew, that Linux exists. Now, every day I feel more and more familiar with it.

But generally, I pressume (from my personal experience), that most people rather want fish over a fishing rod.

So, is there a fix to patch that "ghost" connection?

PS. every socket works like that.
    I was connected through SSH on 22, then I quitted SSH session and even if, AutoShutDown plugin still was seeing this socket as occupied.

PPS.
    I've removed sockets 139 and 445 for Samba, leaving only HHD-io and UL/DL check.
    So if a client is connected to share and the threshold is minimal (like ~20kB maybe?) then even listing directories should generate some traffic which SHOULD let OMV works.
    Of course heavy traffic, like watching a movie will definitelly keep OMV alive.
    Then, I'm trying to figure it out, what combination of cycles/sleep is the most optimal to balance the ratio of being alive/sleeping server.
    Also, one can set up "forced uptime" clock, let's say to 8:00-22:00 to always keep OMV running at these ours.

These are only my mere thinkings, but I would gladly hear more opinions/comments.

One more suggestion - giving VPN credentials to third parties will essentially give them POTENTIAL access to all your systems, drives, data. Yes, I'm aware, that you can password protect everything, but let's skip that for a while. I strongly suggest for you to try first with SFTP solution - it's quick and easy way to set up limited access to SELECTED shares only. Then all you have to do, is forward port in your router to match internal port of SFTP service on OMV. I think it could be easiest for you for start.