Beiträge von Dr.Proton

Thanks everyone of your replies. Sorry for the delay. was waiting to get an email for new responses. Dunno if I missed to subscribed to the thread. Anyway:

Point is, I want to use the hardware I have laying around here. Otherwise I guess I will pump too much money in this project. I agree that a i3 or i5 would be too powerful and power consuming for an OMV, but offers the option for later upgrade to an NextCloud. I like the idea of assembling an ITX with an Pentium G. I think for me would be best to assemble an ITX in a not too big case with silent fans. Then I would be flexible for later upgrade (maybe I want to powerup the system to a whole server, when I build up more linux skills.) Any suggestions in that direction?

Thanks alot!

Dear Community Members,

I need your advice to build a cheap and reliable server to run OMV (and alternatively in the future NextCloud). I tried OMV on my RPI for a few days and I like it. Now I would like to pump it a bit more up. First I thought I should take the old HP notebook laying around here. But it is way too loud have it run 24/7 (and might consumes too much power). Here is what I already have:

3x 2,5" 1TB SATA HDD in cases (1x USB 2.0, 2x in USB 3.0 and same model)
    1x 2,5" 250GB SATA HDD (old one from MacBook)
    2x DDR3 1GB SO-DIMM

and the old notebook that I can take apart: HP Pavilion (1x 2,5" 320GB HDD; 2x 1GB DD2 SO-DIMM, Charger)

I really want to keep it cheap and therefore use the old components here. Best the 3-5 harddrives (in any Raid combination) and the 2 GB DDR3 memory. My thought was to find an ITX case for the drives, get a cheap used ITX board with a soldered on CPU where I can put in the DDR3 SO-Dimms and a PSU.

But maybe you have better ideas for me (in direction of less power consumption and less noise)?
    Thanks for your help!