Beiträge von mkomac

When I have started to work with linux raid, there was in that time recommendation to create equal partitions on all disks that will participate in Software RAID (1, 5, 6 ...) ans after that you had to assemble raid using example command bellow:

mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=5 --raid-devices=4 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1

On OMV I can see that is creating raid without using partitions, so it is using similar command as bellow.

mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=5 --raid-devices=4 /dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /dev/sdd

Reason for my question is in case that we have done change of some failed disk with different manufacturer of disk (like we are replacing WD RED with Seagate), on sticker it is a "same size" but in real world (I am a former HPE engineer) I have seen that it is not a case to have same size (can diff in couple of bytes ...) ...

Because of that it is possible that there will be issue with assembly of raid, if there is diff size of disks.

So my question is did you have any similar issues, and how did you resolve it ?