Beiträge von userstruggle

IT WORKS!!!

I created a user then logged in to access the share.
    Deleted the user and attempted to access the share. It failed (which is good in this case).
    Created a new user and attempted to access the share. It failed (as expected).
    Restarted the computer and attempted to access the share. Logged in with the new credentials and SUCCESS!

Thank you SO much ryecoaaron! Looks like your website is omv-extras.org. I will be making a donation.

Thank you again!

Hello again!

I have installed OMV and the OpenVPN Plugin. I do not have a static IP address, so I would like to add the DNS server IP addresses when configuring (there is a dedicated field for it in the GUI). However, when I generate the Certificate and open it, there is no dhcp-option in the files. Some research has shown that people use the "dhcp-option DNS xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" in their conf file to hook this up. When I try to add the line manually, all sorts of error are thrown (basically it says it does not recognize "dhcp-option".

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Yep!

Write OMV image to SD card
    Insert SD card and power up
    Login through the Web GUI
    Create a shared folder
    Turn on SMB/CIFS
    Add a "Shares" pointed to the created shared folder (with Guests set to No)
    Add a user
    Add another user
    Delete the first user
    Grant the second user access to the Shared folder

From a windows machine, if I try to access the folder, it will ask me to login. When I put in the user name and password for the second user, it denies access.

I tested this again (without doing a full install). I have several folder which I have set to public access. I created a new folder which did not have public access. I made a user, and granted the user access to the folder. When I tried to access ANY of my folders (even the ones without security) I was denied access. I deleted the user, deleted the folder with the security, and everything was fine and dandy again. Very very strange

Thank you so much for your help!

Alright, another development. I decided to grant guest access just to get this up and running. When I do that, I can access the shared folder from my computer. However my coworker cannot.

I double checked his connection to the same IP and workgroup. When he tried to reach it through file explorer, he was not even asked to login. He just got rejected...

Not sure if that extra detail helps

For now I am just making fake usernames: the current one is "whatever"

Here is the output.

Yes. I am giving the user privileges to the shared folder. But if I create a new user (give it privileges), and delete the first user I created, then I cannot access the folder.

Those videos are great! Unfortunately, his solution to "Access denied" is to allow Guests. But I want to configure users.

So I have a configured user, with read/write permissions to my shared folder. If I navigate to the folder, and attempt to login, it says "access denied" just like in his video. Do I have to allow guests? Can security not be configured from the GUI?

So now I am getting an even stranger phenomenon.

I created a new user. Logged in as the user from file explorer to access the shared file. Closed file explorer. Deleted the user from the OMV GUI. I then used file explorer to navigate back to the shared folder. It gave me access without a prompt to login. So now it seems completely unsecured...

I cannot login through file explorer on Windows.

I create a user and access the shared folder in file explorer (which requires the login). If I delete the user I created, then create a new one, I cannot login through file explorer to reach it.

I am using SMB/CIFS. Do I have to add the user to a particular group?

Hi there!

I am new to OpenMediaVault, but there is so much help that install and (most) configuration was a breeze.

The only problem I am having is with setting up users. Seems like it should be pretty intuitive: Access Rights Manager --> User --> Add. Then give them a name and password. This works flawlessly for only the first user I make. I create the first user in the GUI, login using that user credential on my computer, and away we go. If I delete that first user, and create another, I cannot use the new user to login.

I have tried all the basics to solve this: removing users, rebooting, clean installs, etc. No luck.

The strangest part is, if I make my first user, delete it, then add it back, everything works fine. But again, it only works for the very first user I create. After the first user, I only get an error which says I do not have permission to access.

I cannot even manually map to the network drive.

All help is appreciated!

Thank you!

Best,
    userstruggle