Beiträge von Leester

Hi everybody,
    I'm glad I found OMV. I've been trying to find a dead simple stable, non-Windows, solution to share disks. I tried FreeNAS and Rockstor and for different reasons, they didn't work for me.
    Here is my hardware.
    Old eBay motherboard with 2 Xeon X5570 and 40GB RAM.
    4 Hard drives in a RAID 10 array using an LSI controller with cache and battery.
    Single SATA HDD as backup drive.
    4 SSD's in another RAID 5 array.
    Mellanox 10G NIC's in peer arrangement.

I'm using this as a NAS for my 2 node vSphere cluster, but wanted to utilize additional resources of the server as a lab, so I built it as an ESXi host and created a VM for OMV and did a passthrough to the NIC's and RAID controller. I got the idea from reading this block post.

ZFS was not an option for me so FreeNAS was a non-starter, and Rockstor's insistence that everything had to be BTRFS and the fact that they are trying to get money out of you turned me off to them.

Things I like about OMV:

• Debian - I don't understand some of folks' distribution choice for NAS software, but hey, i'm not a developer
    • Simple straightforward and uncomplicated - If I wanted to fiddle around with stuff, I'd have just installed Vanilla CentOS and managed from Command line.

Things I don't like:

• So far, I haven't seen a way to back up the config. Not really too much of a worry as I have other ways.
    • The Black and Red "Alert Bar". Fat-fingering my password is not a red-alert.

Thats it. Let me know what you think.