Beiträge von feh123

I should have added that if in terminal I check with ls -al I see that these folders are only owned by root. I have searched the web re samba, permissions etc but it looks like I am at a dead end. For some reason on 1-Jan GS no longer had write access to the OMV folders. This seems to tie with the fact they are owned by root now. OMV does not let me change smb.conf and I do not have the superuser privileges to use chown or chmod.

Any more suggections much appreciated but thanks for all your help!

Hi it seems there is a fundamental problem with write access to my OMV folders with SMB. I have changed the SMB/CIFS shares back to guests allowed and in Finder I can read the folders and download files. But I cannot drag a new folder into the directory. So there is some permission that is lacking. In terminal I can access the folder so I wondered if I could change the premissions there rather than in the OMV UI?

I was thinking:

chown -R pi:users /path/to/Folder/

chmod -R 777 /path/to/Folder/

I don't want to do anything that would wreck these folders so I thought I would check here first.

Thanks!

Hi thanks for the idea - I have tried urbackup but I am using a macbook with sonoma 14 and I could not see a server for macos. Did I miss something? The web site says I can install an OMV plugin but it looks like I need Docker. I am a bit unsure about my abiliity to do a radical switch!

Is there a Macos backup software any likes?

I am still trying to add a user/password to my OMV folders to see if GS works with that.

Thanks!

Hi thanks for all the replies. I will check them out. The big advantage of GS seemed to be it would let me use a local network available folder and not require the use of cloud storage.

Just one thing, it seems an unlikely solution but GS suggested I actually change the OMV settings to no guests and add a user/password, My OMV user is pi. If I change the OMV folder to no guest then when I try to set the OMV destination folder in GS I get the request for a password - if I add the admin user/password I get the message bad credentials.

So where do I set the pi password for the folder?

Thanks!

Hi thanks for the quick response. That's right I think Goodsync has succeeded in reading all the files in my OMV folder. I have asked Goodsync support about this log file but so far they have not responded.

They believe I have not entered a user/password. I have replied explaining that the folder does not need this and when I leave them blank GS says the connection was successful. If I try user guest and no password it failed to connect which seems odd. If I open the folder in Finder it says I am connected as guest!

I can drag a file from the OMV folder backup to my desktop and read it and then save to my local drive. But I cannot make an empty folder on my desktop and drag it to the OMV folder - that transfer is denied.

So some odd results I feel. But why was GS working and then just fail?

GS support also want me to make sure GS can use SMB1/2 as it cannot handle SMB3. I have set the minimum SMB to SMB1 in OMV SMB/CIFS settings but I stil get the error.

What backup software do OMV users generally use? Thanks.

Hi I have OMV 6.9.11-3 on a raspberry pi 4 (32bit, OS Lite) that has been working well for over one year. I installed OMV using

https://raspberrytips.com/openmediavault-on-raspberry-pi/). I use Goodsync to make my backups. The Goodsync setup uses smb/cifs to select the destination folders on my Raspberry Pi. I setup these folders as browserable and guest allowed so no passwords were needed. The setup has worked well. But two days ago it failed. The message output from Goodsync was:

092052 L: Reading State File /Volumes/WD2 APFS/Documents After Jul17/Copilot POI file and PNG and merge it with the root state

092052 L: Reading State File /Volumes/WD2 APFS/Documents After Jul17/French and merge it with the root state

092055 R: Reading State File smbd://NAS/OMVWD2Docs/_gsdata_/_file_state_v4._gs

092141 Changes: 4, Conflicts: 0, CopyTime: 0, FixState: 0, Errors: 0, All: 40363

092141 Left to Right: Copy File: 4

092141 -- Analysis Complete. Time 00:00:51, Speed: 354 files/s

092141 Cannot upload log file: Copy to Temp: Access Denied (0xc0000022)

So it seemed to be able to access all the required folders but then could not upload for some reason. I checked the RPi drives with sudo fsck and no errors appeared. I have asked Goodsync support about this Temp file and await their response. This is not a Goodsync error - it still works with my other backups that go to a WDMyCloud NAS. I think this error is due to something in the OMV folders. Much appreciate any thoughts/suggestions as re-installing and re-creating these backups is a long job. So any alternative fix would be great. Thanks!

I tried again having cleared all the backup files in .timemachine/TimeMachine on HD. I also made myself a user on OMV and connected to the folder I made in OMV for my TmeMachine backups. I can RW this drive for sure so access denied should not be an issue.

However the TimeMachine backup still fails with drive disconnect error. I was running the backup overnight (as it's the first time it's large). This morning using:

log show --style syslog --last 30m --predicate 'senderImagePath contains[cd] "TimeMachine"' --info --debug

I see:

2023-04-27 08:38:47.080472+0100 localhost TimeMachineSettings[2550]: (TimeMachine) [com.apple.TimeMachine:MountedVolumeMonitor] Failed to create volume info from disk '<TMDisk: 0x14000e400> '/System/Volumes/Data/home'', error: missingURLForRemounting.

If I try to open the dashboard for OMV on the RPi it fails. The RPi is no longer on my network - as are several other devices. Over a period of 15 minutes they re-appear. Seems very strange. Will abandon OMV/TImeMachine backup for now!

I am running a Macbook Air with Ventura 13.3.1. I have several raspberry pi's (+3B's) running the latest OMV as file backup systems without a problem. They use WD usb drives (1Tb). I wanted to setup a TimeMachine backup for my mac using another RPi +3B solely as the TimeMachine backup drive. I followed my usual procedure to create a guests allowed folder on a usb drive that was installed formatted as exFAT. I selected TIme Machine in the shared folder menu. I now have a folder on the drive. If I check get info I see it's format is SMB (OS X). It's permissions are rw for me, staff and everyone. If I check folder permissions with ls -al I get drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 131072 Apr 25 09:18.

If I try to run Time Machine on the mac I can select and add the folder but if I hit disk set up I get the error "you do not have permission....". I cannot see were I am going wrong. Any help appreciated.

Just to add. I can attach my usb drive to my macbook and run first aid with disk utility. But this fails to solve the problem. It seems there is more than one volume on the drive that Disk Utlility cannot unmount. So it checks the volume that as the folder/files and reports they are okay. But it cannot fix the other volume(s).

Is there some software that could fix this? Or does it look like I need to format the drive. I used exfat before - maybe I should try a different format?

I seem to have hit this read only problem too. I have two usb drives as backup (using Good Sync software). Both drives started giving the error in Good Sync unable to upload file access denied. In OMV the drives look fine - they are in guest mode. I did get an error to run fsck but that cleared when I updated my OMV - I had not done this for sometime. If I check logs now I cannot see any errors about read only drives.

But if I try to copy a file to a OMV drive folder then it's denied so there is definitely some error.

I did feel it was a problem with folder names. But my fstab drive names have not changed. But I did make some folders with long names about the time the drives must have gone to read only (and even with a ".") so I think that may be the issue.

I have read the feed but I cannot find a fix for my issue. Any help much appreciated. I would like to save the data in the backups because there is +300GB on them!

Apologies I have just checked SMB/CIFS diagnostics and the drive is labelled locked and read only! Is there a way to fix this. Thanks.