Posts by Adoby

The default OMV root filesystem is very small. Most of it is in RAM the whole time. So it won't benefit a lot from being on a SSD. Boot will be faster, but running, not so much.

However if you use dockers or other software to have the NAS do more than being just a NAS, then there may be a lot of benefits to have that software installed on a SSD. Especially if there are databases and metadata and other similar stuff involved.

As long as you use the flash memory plugin I would suggest to leave the rootfs on the SD card and put all extra software, dockers and so on, on the SSD. And data files on a normal HDD.

Having the rootfs on a SD card or a thumb drive also makes it trivial to clone the rootfs. Just clone the SD card or the thumb drive.

I have a RPi4 with OMV and I get close to saturated GbE during sequential filetransfers. And I just installed, configured a user, added a USB3 external disk, created a ext4 filesystem and a share and configured NFS and SMB to use that share. Nothing special, just like the docs described. Also nothing extra, everything default. (Except I use autofs to mount other NFS shares from other NAS.)

If you use a Linux client, try NFS. I think that is faster than SMB.

If you don't use a RPI4 or better, don't use cabled GbE with good cables and good network equipment, don't use ext4, don't use a good USB3 disk, then you will get a slow NAS.

If you do everything right, it is time to diagnose what is wrong.

Test the drive performance. Test the network performance. And see what is wrong. There are several threads here on this forum (search for "rpi4 slow") about how you can diagnose what is wrong. Also a lot of info if you google "how do i test network performance in Linux" or "how do i test disk performance in Linux". Possibly with "command line" added.

The NAS won't blow up in a thermonuclear explosion. But it won't work right. Possibly not at all.

You can use NTFS or EXTFS, with some extra work and installs, for a backup drive. And bring the backup drive with you.

If you google "ext4 macos" you get some indication that you can use ext4 with macos.

It is faster and easier to start from scratch.

Expect to make more mistakes. If you clone the SD card when you have a working setup, after every few steps, you can start over from there without having to start again from scratch.

I agree. A RPi4 with two drives is a great platform for a home NAS.

With one drive for shared data and the other for backups, using rsync. Either from the GUI or from scripts run by crontab. If you don't know how to do it, and are not willing/capable to learn how to do it, and you don't have any friend to show you, then OMV is not for you.

I would advice against trying to do it. Without good backups and elementary command line skills, a NAS is a disaster waiting to happen.

In addition rsync allows you to efficiently have several versioned snapshot style hard linked backup copies. Each snapshot looks like a full copy, but (almost) only takes up storage needed to store new or modified files since the previous snapshot. Even if you have RAID, you still need backups to handle user errors and mistakes deleting or overwriting data. And if you have good versioned backups, chances are that you don't really need RAID.

For commercial settings RAID may be needed, in addition to backups, to provide high availability. But then I somehow doubt any SBCs and USB3 connected HDDs are used.

However, rsync backups/clones are not enough, in themselves, to provide bitrot protection. Then further measures are needed. Checksums and so on. This may be relevant for long term storage or archival of valuable assets. Some filesystems with redundancy are able to provide bitrot protection.

I think you are confused. I doubt anybody says that USB3 to a HW RAID enclosure is a problem? I have a 4 bay HW RAID enclosure connected to a RPi, myself. Currently not using any RAID, but still...

What can indeed be a problem is using USB for software RAID.

There are several reasons:

1. Several drives will share a USB connection, making for poor and/or unpredictable results.

2. It is likely that there is a mix of lose USB cables, USB hubs, enclosures and power supplies involved. All with one or two connectors that may be bumped by mistake or simply be faulty.

3. Users wanting to use USB with software RAID often are novice RPi users with little or no experience and knowledge of Linux and RAID. Needing a lot of help and having difficulties following/understanding written instructions. Not because they are stupid, they just lack experience and knowledge. In combination with point 2 this makes software RAID a really bad idea for them and it is extremely difficult to support. It may even be dangerous and cause data loss, because it is easy to setup software RAID using a GUI, but when something bad happens you may quickly need a spare unused HDD and use the command line...

My preferred way of handling IP addresses in my home LAN is to do it on a combined Dnsasque and DHCP server. Many modern home routers combine DHCP with Dnsmasque. I use a separate small Gl-Inet router for this, specifically as a DHCP and Dnsmasque server.

This allows you to permanently map server MAC addresses not only to an IP but also to a local host name. And you get a central point for administration and and backup of the LAN. If I install a new OS on a server, it automatically has the same IP and host name, without me having to do anything on the server. Nice!

Yes, it is possible. Should work perfectly fine as long as you only want basic NAS functionality. Having only 2 GB may prevent you from doing more demanding and interesting stuff. But 2GB should be plenty for the basic stuff.

You might want to think of this NAS as a way to learn and get more experience. Later you may want to upgrade to something bigger and better or something smaller and more power efficient. And something that is powerful enough to run several dockers for streaming, downloads and other stuff.

I would recommend that you buy bigger HDDs. Bigger than you need now. Otherwise you are likely to want to upgrade soon. And good HDDs can last for many years. The warranty is 2-5 years and many HDDs last way longer than that. When/if you upgrade sometime in the future you can use these HDDs in the new NAS, making the future upgrade cheaper.

Or try to get some old used 1TB HDDs from someone that has upgraded to bigger HDDs. Buying a new 1TB drive today, when there are 18TB drives for sale, and 8TB SSDs, seems backwards. I suspect there are plenty of cheap used 1TB drives available, if you can find them.

You can also login directly on the OMV NAS using SSH and then create folders as you please and where you please using normal Linux commands and tools. Bash. In effect opening up the hood and directly messing with the internals. NOTE: Unprotected access...

I often use mc (Midnight Commander) for this purpose.

Typically you just want to create and rearrange sub folders in existing shared folders, or move files around. It is very easy to mess things up and make OMV unusable and possibly cause data loss. But if you do know what you are doing this is a VERY powerful and fast way to manage your files.

Using mc on a Linux computer it is even possible to open up a remote pane on the OMV NAS over the network using the FISH protocol. Great for quickly copying files or editing scripts and so on.

If you have to ask about this you most likely don't know enough to use it safely. And you are better off managing the shares and the contents from a client over SMB or NFS.

Of course it is possible to fix. But it is a proper mess to get right.

When I messed up as you have done, I just did a fresh reinstall. And got it right, without any errors or mistakes at all. But it took a few tries.

Then I cloned the root filesystem. So I wouldn't have to do it again...

1. You might find some data recovery software that can create a correct image. But I doubt it.

It might be possible to do a hack. Create a OMV SD card that can boot ok. Then write the old data to the new card. But I wouldn't trust it...

2. A fresh install that use the existing external drives as they are should be easy. Just recreate the users, groups and shares.

Tip: Make sure that you don't store app data for dockers on the SD card. If you do it may cause the card to wear out quickly.

Tip: When you have a working setup again, clone the root filesystem on the SD card. And backup your data on the external drives.