Beiträge von NASNoob1

I formatted my data disk today and I copied all data back to it from my other disk.
    Until yesterday everything was working. I fooled around with permissions and ACL and absolute nothing worked. A real nightmare.

I've set up my share and my samba again and mapped it to Windows. Everything fine.
    I can see and access all files but I can not create files or folders.

HOW to set up users (NO extra groups!), Samba shares and "Permissions" (NO ACL) so I can use my share via Windows again?

ls -la output

Code
    me@nas:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Seagate2TB$ ls -la
    insgesamt 76
    drwxr-xr-x 14 root root    221 Aug 16 20:13 .
    drwxr-xr-x  7 root root   4096 Aug 16 14:22 ..
    drwxr-xr-x  5 root users    60 Apr 12 21:04 Images
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root users   416 Jul 16 13:07 Test.txt

(...)

Is it possible in general to hide subfolders of my share from specific users?

In SMB > main tab > advanced settings
    I tried
    "hide unreadable = yes"

But whatever permission I set up for my test user in
    Shared folders > "my share" > ACL

this user still can see the folder.
    I can make him lock out but not not see a folder.

Am I something missing? A special configuration?

Zitat

Of course, and ZFS helps mitigate the risk of those backups being junk.

Read this:
    https://www.jodybruchon.com/20…about-bit-rot-and-raid-5/

Zitat

If you are happy that your data is safe, (...)

Exactly. Everyone uses what he wants to use. You like ZFS, that's it. I just use Ext4 because ... I can put my data on and I don't need to worry about <whatever>.
    Now let's stop here talking. This thread is not for fighting out whats better.

#ImOut here

Code
    so when I open my family photos that I haven't looked at for a while, they're not half gone and my music remains blip free.

This one I don't understand.
    Why should this happen with Ext4?

I said to this other person outside of this forum too, that ZFS is not some kind of magic which is capable of everything.
    And even if photos are gone: every person should have backups around.

Code
    we stupid ZFS users won't stop you.

The other person outside reacted exactly like this too. I never said ZFS users are stupid.

Whatever. I'm back to Ext4, all my data is safe with that too. Every person uses what he wants to use and what he's capable of administrating.

This guy always talked about meta data and pointers who get saved.
    Snapshots are fine, but not the zfs ones.

I use rsync to my second and third disk and if someone deltes something, I can get it back easily too, no problem :P No over-complicated zfs needed :P

I am a normal user, no pro. All I want is that it's working without being in ssh 10 hours a day.

It's working but on a 1 TB drive i Only can access 898 GiB. This is way too loosy.
    I will get away from ZFS. Furthermore I will get away because all persons using ZFS I know totally stress me out using datasets, Snapshots, RAID and all this stuff I absolutely don't need.
    I use rsync once a day or a week and I have my data always safe on an external drive. Snapshots and all this stuff are totally stupid and only for people with too much time.

These people just thing ZFS is the wonder of IT and better than everything else. Nothing can damage your data. They even say zfs send <whatever> sends 5 TB in one hour. I don't like liars. So I will stay away from that.

I go back to EXT4.

I have a last question in general.
    Many many of my files on my drives are already 7zipped. Do I actually profit of ZFS compression or not?

Currently I am using ext4 because when creating a new "drive" I need to choose the file system. I have btrfs, some of extX and JFS but not ZFS.

I'm absolutely new to ZFS.
    I would like to use it because of the compression. Snapshots aren't interessting for me.

I installed the omv-extras zfs-plugin into my OMV 4 setup.

For testing purposes I have a free 4 GB usb stick without file system on it.
    How now do I use ZFS on this usb stick?

Ok I think it will be the Seagate Barracuda 4 TB ST4000DM004 ones.
    They are OK in price, often in sale and 4 TB. It's 20€ cheaper than the Seagate IronWolf 4 TB.

But the best is, they cost low in electricity. Less than a NAS drive.

The price between non-NAS and NAS drives isn't that high.
    Western Digital Blue 4 TB EZRZ 100€, Western Digital Red 4 TB EFRX 110€ to 125€.

The red is 5400 RPM, the Blue 7200. I think i will stick with the Red ones.
    I already have a 2 TB RED so they can greatly work together.

Seagate runs with 5900 RPM. I would buy Seagate too but everyone says they fail.

To be honest: I really don't know what to buy.
    Normal Desktop HDD (e.g. Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB which runs 5400 RPM) or NAS drive... I don't do anything regarding RAID.

I do not use RAID or ZFS.

I prefere the old school way by using rsync once a day or a week and then I backup everything to an external drive. And I use ext4. ZFS is way too complicated for me.
    I don't need 100% availability. If a drive fails, it fails.

So NAS drives just have optimized firmware? And because of that they cost so much more? I mean... there is a Seagate Barracuda 4 TB for around 60€ out there.
    Why not using this?

I read everything until here, now my copy&paste from another thread of mine because I'm still not sure.

Do we really need NAS drives? Why not Desktop drives?

Zitat

In some days or weeks I would like to buy a new HDD for my NAS build.
    Curently there is a 2 TB WD Red and Seagate 2 TB (FireCuda - wrong delivery! Bought IronWolf normally) inside.

These 2 TB aren't enought, this is for sure. So I would like to buy 4 TB drives next.

But which one? Western Digital Red, Seagate IronWolf, something else?

In some days or weeks I would like to buy a new HDD for my NAS build.
    Curently there is a 2 TB WD Red and Seagate 2 TB (FireCuda - wrong delivery! Bought IronWolf normally) inside.

These 2 TB aren't enought, this is for sure. So I would like to buy 4 TB drives next.

But which one? Western Digital Red, Seagate IronWolf, something else?

I didn't do anything. Yesterday everything was fine. Today I can't login anymore.

I can see the omv login screen and when logging in, I see

omv-aptclean doesn't help.

What can I do, do get back into my web panel?

Edit
    I got it working again. I don't know why it wasn't working but for everyone, here is what I did:

- first follow the first instruction here (you can type in everything in one line in terminal)
    -- Install OMV4 on Debian 9 (Stretch)

- then force reinstall openmediavault in terminal with. Use the instructions above but use this changed line instead:
    -- sudo apt-get --yes --auto-remove --show-upgraded --allow-downgrades --allow-change-held-packages --no-install-recommends --option Dpkg::Options::="--force-confdef" --option DPkg::Options::="--force-confold" --reinstall install postfix openmediavault