Beiträge von TheNyan

Damn, maybe i should stop using ethernet cables from 1998 and just buy a bunch of new ones :8
    Anyways, im now getting 70MB/s in both directions. Gonna restart a couple of times and do some tests with different files, but it seems good enough for now.
    Thanks.

Just hijacking this real quick for a related Problem: I cant set my OMV to use a static ip. Once i switch from DHCP to static, it spits out this error:

Anyone know anything?

Ok, now im even more confused. It seems to be caused by the network.
    This time, i used a switch instead of using my router as a switch aaand:
    Now Read speeds are ~100MB/s.
    Writes now start at gigabit speeds, but then drop to 10MB/s after like 2 seconds.
    Ill have to keep trying, but something is wrong here.

Hey,
    after I received some great help last time with my RPi3 setup, ive now switched to a Rock64.
    My Problem:
    From Windows 10 PC with SSD to Rock64 external USB 3.0 HDD: 90-110 MB/s! Perfect!
    Back from Rock64 to SSD: 0-3 MB/s! What?
    I have no Idea how to fix this, what is going on? ?(
    Thankful for all Ideas!
    Thanks.

Well, I had/have the same Problem. Must be some kind of bug.
    After going back and forth between the docker tab and some other tab, the search works once after like the 15th try.
    I just kept trying and eventually, it worked normally. Its not your fault at all, something isnt working quite right.

Ok, update after a few days: Everything is working fine.
    I am pretty sure that the change from hostname to static IP fixed the Problems. I am not sure what went wrong before, but something did.

The shared folder stays linked after reboots, and even if I start the PC first and the PI a lot later, Windows still logs into the share once its availible.

Gonna click buy on the Rock64 now and get the planned build going.

Thanks everyone!

Dont worry, i do regulary checks on smart values on all my drives. This one also has 0 reallocated sectors.
    With xfs as the filesystem, everything works as it should. No more weird noises.
    When i get the Rock64 nas, im just planning to store some movies on it and stream them to other clients in the network.
    If the drive fails, oh well, doesnt really matter. No valuable data.

As i said earlier, im planning to use a Rock64. I just wanna know if this issue is likely to go away once i use the Rock64 instead of the Rpi.

EDIT:

Just changed the HDD filessystem from ext4 to xfs. VERY stable speed of 11,2-11,4 MB now, so its just limited by the 100mbit lan.

Hey, that command is pretty neat. The most cpu usage i can see during smb copying is somewhere around 60%, never gets higher than that.

Another problem tho:

When i copy files to a usb 3 usb stick, speed is kinda bumpy but overall reasonably fast:

But when i copy something to a hard drive thats connected via a usb 3 to sata converter, its like this:

First pretty fast, but then slows down to a crawl. When its slow, the drive itself makes some pretty unhealty noises, constant clicking, so i stopped the copy.

Is this something that could be gone once i do the actual project with a Rock64 (USB3). Maybe the USB2 PI doesnt like the USB3 adapter?

Im gonna format the drive with a different filesystem now and see if that changes anything.

Or should i get a USB3 to sata converter that specifically supports linux? Mine doesnt, but it works perfectly on my PC and doesnt limit the speed of the drive at all.

(The drive is healty and fast, that cant be the problem)
    (The sata to usb converter i used does have an external 12V power brick)

Well, the PI is more of a test than a planned nas build. Im trying to understand OMV.
    My plan was a rock64 as a nas with omv, but i have a few pi's laying around doing nothing, so i wanted to test the whole thing on a PI first.
    For now, the share is still accessible from my PC. Gonna see if its still there tomorrow :D

In contrast to my PI's, most of those laptops are still in use tho.

@flmaxey i already answered you, but it says my post has to be checked by a moderator. No idea why.

Today, i first turned the Pi on. Waited a bit. And then turned the PC on.
    After boot, the pc complained that it couldnt mount the network drive, and after clicking on it asked me for a password .....
    No password or username configuration worked, for like 3 minutes.
    Then, after entering the same thing like 4 times, it simply mounted it.
    Maybe the Pi wasnt quite ready yet? I dont know, will do further testing.

Then, i went into the web gui, restarted the pi and then restarted my pc.
    Now, i cant log into the share at all anymore. No username or password combination gets accepted.

@henfri How do i do that? I went into the SMB tab, set the log level to full and saved. But when i check the systemlogs tab, the smb log stays empty.

EDIT:

Ok, login per IP seems to work. Changing the network name and then using that to login seems to work aswell.
    I will now assign a static IP to the pi and keep testing.

Where Windows 10 is concerned, rebuilding might not change anything. More than likely, you have an OEM version of Windows from a "Microsoft Partner", versus a retail build which could be considered (loosely) to be the baseline. In essence OEM's can (and do) alter Windows to suit their purposes which can significantly alter the build's security profile.

Well, the PC is custom built and windows is installed from the iso that i downloaded directly from microsoft, so it should be retail, right?

On your re-install's - doing several re-installs is not the same as getting it right. It's possible that you're doing something consistently wrong. (Don't take offense . "Stuff" happens, and this forum see's a lot of "stuff".)

Very much possible. I just hope that it keeps working now, otherwise ill just screenshot every single tab in the omv config and post it here :D
    I might just be overseeing something simple that keeps breaking stuff.

BTW: Shut down your R-PI cleanly - meaning use shut down in the web GUI, wait 2 to 3 minutes, then reset power. Doing dirty shutdowns may, eventually, corrupt your install.

Yeah, thats something i messed up on the very first try. I didnt just cut power of course, but i used ssh and shutdown now, and i feel like that broke something.
    From there onwards i always used the gui to shutdown.

First of all, thanks for your effort.
    Ive already done a complete clean install of Windows 10 yesterday, so the configurations of windows should all be unchanged.
    The image of omv is MD5 verified, and has been reinstalled multiple times too.
    Accessing with my android phone works fine, but i dont restart that as often as my pc, so i will have to check that again later.
    Also, its not always the 4th reboot. To me, it seems really inconsistent.

Right now, ive got it set up with omv again, and currently everything is working. This time, ive set it up to ONLY allow users with login and password. Every guest option is disabled.
    I can still access the share from my phone, if I enter the username and password of my PC. This is working flawlessly now.
    I have multiple laptops availible for testing, and will try those in the future, but not now, gotta get some sleep :D

Next (probably tomorrow), i will restart my pc and the RPI multiple times to see if the issue is gone.

Again, thanks for the help. I hope this works out in the end.

Thats how ive been doing it the last few times too.

Ive always created a shared folder where everyone has r/w access, and then allowed guests on the SMB.

The point is that it works fine, but stop working after a few PC restarts. It then starts asking for username and password, even if guests allowed or guests only is set.

Ive looked through it and everything obvious is correct. I have however not disabled SMB3 or edited the host file.

BTW: I just set up nextcloud on the pi and enabled SMB, and there i can log into the share with the username and password.

Mapping the shared folder in windows also stays beyond PC restarts, so the core SMB function works just fine.

However, nextcloud is not really perfect for my needs, and i would still prefer OMV. I just dont know whats wrong.

I have switched between only guests, guests allowed and not public many times.
    Leaving everything blank doesnt work, only entering something in user doesnt work, entering nobody doesnt work, entering the user and password i made doesnt work.
    It simply says username/password incorrect. Every time.

Alright, everything is installed once again.
    Just after finishing the config, everything works.
    Ive got it set up as guests allowed, so i dont need to enter anything.
    After PC-Restart 1, everything works.
    After PC-Restart 2, everything works.
    After PC-Restart 3, everything works.
    After PC-Restart 4, Windows asks for a username and password.
    I didnt change anything on the Pi, all i did was restart my PC and move a couple photos to and from the pi.
    From now on, i cant do anything with the share without a username and password.
    Even when i enter the username and password of the user that i set up in omv, it doesnt get accepted.
    Entering nobody doesnt work either.

I might just buy a nas or something, this is just way too frustraiting to be something I do in my freetime.
    I'd still greatly appreciate any input or other ideas tho.

I did that a couple of times already, but no luck. I also added other users in omv, but windows doesnt accept those either.
    I also updated the SMB password of that user via SSH using the command from here https://forum.openmediavault.o…Samba-Share-Types-in-OMV/
    Also installed the permission reset plugin and did that.
    Also reset the net use list of windows.

EDIT:
    Ok, now got another sdcard with a clean installation of omv with the step by step video.
    Everything currently works (just like it did before). Ive got my shared folder mounted in windows and can read and write files just fine.
    Havent restarted the PC yet tho.